“DON'T STAY HERE!”
Review of Mary Rose Inn

Mary Rose Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Orpington B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 12, 2012 via mobile

There is nothing I can say that hasn't already been said!
I contactf trading standards, environmental health and the fire officer after I refused to stay in this hovel.
I have had to get a chargeback to reclaim my money aswell.
DON'T BOOK! If you have, DON'T STAY HERE, YOU WILL REGRET IT!

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank DerbyArtsFan

Reviewed June 1, 2012

I call this accommodation and not a hotel as it most certainly is not a hotel!!

I checked in and was asked to pay, where I would expect to pay on departure, ok nowhere else to go, it was 8.30pm so I went to the room, sat on the bed, and noticed dried food, tomato remnants and crumbs on the floor, the remains of the last occupants dining no doubt. Oh better check the bed, so I peeled back the duvet to find a thin stained sheet, and crumbs, as well as other 'particles' in the bed, absolutlely unhygenic and stomach churning. The bathroom was a tip, so I went to reception to check out, and was offered a better room, which I refused on the basis of the first room which should have been clean enough! I was not expecting plush surroundings, but the basics of a clean room was expected.

I telephoned the hotel several times after to get my money back and was given the run around, this outfit just don't give a stuff about their facilities, and the foreign owner is just ripping off guests.

You have been WARNED, this is not the place to stay if you want a clean , habitable room and a decent nights sleep!!

Room Tip: My best advice, don't ever go to this establishment you WILL regret it.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Neil C
Reviewed May 27, 2012

At first it seemed pleasant enough (we weren't expecting much as it was cheap), the receptionist at the time seemed nice and was friendly. We then walked to our room along a river that smelled slightly of sewers but it wasn't too strong so was bearable... There were cobwebs on the banister heading up to the upstairs rooms and cigarette but on the floor of the balcony leading around to all the upstairs rooms despite it being a 'non smoking area'. The room was very hot and we were glad we brought a fan. Didn't want to walk bare foot on the floor really and generally the room didn't look nice (lots of handles missing and mismatching furniture) but I suppose that didn't really matter... We were given enough toilet roll for one person to go once and felt we couldn't ask at reception as it was right by the bar so we bought our own... The breakfast did taste nice however we did need to wipe all plates/glasses/cutlery etc... It was served in the Indian restaurant next door not that you needed to be told this as you could smell last nights food... It was badly organised and it was difficult to get the attention of someone to get served, though I was impressed with the wide time period for breakfast... Heading back to our room after breakfast the current receptionist was not so friendly... When it came to check out time no one was to be found so we had to leave the key card on the desk hoping they could find it...

Could say more but these where the main points, it was ok I suppose to lay your head at night but I would avoid it next time and go to a cleaner, more pleasant and comfortable hotel...

Room Tip: If you want a nice room don't book in here...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank sun_sand_sea_soul
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Never, never book this so called "hotel"! We have never seen such a horrible accommodation before. So shabby...We couldn't wait to leave after the second night. We stayed there only because we had no chance to find something else on the quick (we had a job at the race track Brands Hatch for two days only). We didn't expect luxury, but what we found was worse than slums. Hands off!

Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Andrea B
Reviewed May 18, 2012

Rough and rundown. Mould in bathroom. Paint falling off the ceiling. The bedrooms above the kitchen noisy up until 01.00hrs. and way too hot because of the cooking going on. Also was made aware by other guests that vehicles are regularly being broken into by thieves. This had happened just 3 days before my stay! Reception staff polite and helpful. This was the only plus.

Room Tip: Try somewhere else!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank SuffolkBeau
Reviewed May 18, 2012 via mobile

We booked to stay at this premises to attend a family gathering in the local area. With regards to the cost of our booked room, we had no illusion that this would be a luxury hotel, however, we did expect a clean, if basic, room. This was not the case. The room was situated above the kitchen of the adjoining restaurant, had a filthy carpet (including chewing gum relics), coffee stains on the walls and skirting boards, torn and stained divan bases on the beds and mattresses that were, to be polite, well past their prime. The en suite had no signs of any standard of cleanliness or hygiene. We, understandably, were not happy with this and went to speak to reception. We were offered a different room which, whilst marginally cleaner, also had missing light bulbs and hanging electrical appliance wires conveniently placed just inside the entrance. We declined this room and asked for a refund as we would not be staying. The receptionist stated he could not give a refund onto our debit card but that if another customer arrived and paid cash he could give us that. No other customer who arrived was willing to stay and therefore this could not be done. We are now involved in a protracted communication with the owner to try and resolve this complaint and return of our monies. This premises has no business marketing itself as a hotel, is unsanitary, has poor customer service and an owner who clearly believes that he does not have to operate within the trading laws of this country. Do not stay here!

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank tr-ook
Reviewed May 17, 2012

i was so disgusted at the state of the room, bed and the very poor attitude of the staff after making my complaint to the manager i booked out and over a week later and after making many phone calls to the company during which they have hung up on me, i am still waiting for my refund which i suspect i will never see...

Absolutely disgusting and a complete death trap..

i have given this pig sty 1 star but only because i had to.

Room Tip: This hotel is a death trap
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Steve H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orpington
Premier Inn London Orpington
Travelodge London Sidcup Hotel
7 Hotel Diner
7 Hotel Diner
#1 of 1 in Halstead
Days Inn Sevenoaks Clacket Lane

Been to Mary Rose Inn? Share your experiences!