“Totally unacceptable performance from the manager.”

The Travellers Rest
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Traveller's Rest in Edlesborough is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar.
Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

Ordered some main meals, they both arrived together. My wife's meat balls were burnt, the manager David ruck came over and we explained what the problem was, she ordered sausages and mash, I continued with my meal, not ideal, her meal arrived as I finished, the sausages arrived, burnt! My wife was really upset, David ruck came over again, we said we weren't going to pay, except for our drinks, he said OK, my wife was having a private conversation with me about the manager seeming not to care, David ruck was serving some other people, heard our convo, and stormed over, telling us that he did care, he pointed over to the other customer shouting that they regular customers and were happy with the food, frankly we didn't care!, her food was burnt, twice!,why he felt the need to drag these people into this mess, I'll never know. Anyway, we left, I went to the bar to pay for our drinks, he was there, he said it was OK, I explained that I was not happy with the way he talked to my wife, he did not apologize and seemed not to care that he'd upset her!. It will be along time before we go there again. He seemed to brush us off, as if it didn't matter. I work in the service industry and know how to treat people, this man does not!!

3  Thank Paul B

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Went on New Years Eve with friends. The staff were very attentive but the food was disappointing. The pastry on the pie was so hard we couldn't get a knife into it. The steaks were chewy. The dessert of yule log was a piece of chocolate swiss roll with chocolate sauce and cream. This was disappointing because we went earlier in the year for a lunchtime meal and the food was very good.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

I booked this restaurant for Sunday lunch for a large party (26 of us!) and from the moment I phoned to book until we left the restaurant, the staff couldn't have been more helpful. We were seated adults together and children together at our request. Orders were taken promptly for drinks and then for food. The children were served swiftly and then the adults.The menu was extensive and interesting and they have a seperate menu, including desserts which is gluten free. I had aromatic pork belly on a bubble and squeak roti with black pudding. It was delicious and very filling. There was a good choice of dessert with the option to have a smaller portion with coffee. The waitresses were helpful and polite. I had eaten here many years ago and had had an average experience but from today's lunch I would definitely return and also recommend it.

1  Thank CheddRhon
Reviewed December 24, 2013

I had visited this place a few years ago when it had not been a good experience but never say never again as this time it was a very pleasant experience. My companion and I decided to choose from the sandwich menu and we were agreeably surprised by the quality of the food. We both choose the brie and bacon on ciabata (she opted for chips and I had a dressed seasonal salad both of which was included with the order). Good value for money for less than a fiver. Service was good and the atmosphere was very congenial.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

Have been here many times in the past however September visit for a family birthday saw the whole evening a complete disaster from poor service to very long wait for food poor quality of food and cooking and when tried to complain the duty manager refused to speak to us. Complained in writing got voucher off to give them another chance. Revisited and virtually the same experience even after being greeted by the Manager and his guarantee of being treated like VIPs . Long wait for food most meals were very substandard and the chef forgot to cook one of our parties meals ! Much apologies given offered a free drink or bottle of wine but nothing would have persuaded our family to stay any longer or visit again. The staff seemed frustrated with the kitchen and not surprised as the meals were terrible , most of us went home hungry. Sack the chef big time seems the kitchen is your downfall. Will not go there again.