“Taste of heaven”

Description: Fine British Dining
Darlington, United Kingdom
“Taste of heaven”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We had the tasting menu, which was absolutely amazing. The staff look after guests very well from the first entrance to the hotel to leaving. The bar is charming with a super range of drinks and excellent nibbles. The sommelier really knows her stuff. I would recommend having coffee on one of the attractive lounges. In summer, you can sit out on the terra e.

Visited May 2013

Morpeth, United Kingdom
“Kenny Atkinson will be sorely missed!”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

This was probably our favourite restaurant in the North of England.....some of Kenny's dishes were totally inspired and undoubtedly world class...certainly of 2 star Michelin standard at the very least. I will never understand how he did not get at least a one star here - the food certainly justified it - so it must have been the rest of the offering...service perhaps? Anyway - we made a point of going to the Orangery at least every couple of months since it opened (we were familiar with a number of the staff who were starting there when it originally opened - from other restaurants in the region) - and the menus were faultless, brilliantly conceptualised and stunningly executed......every dish was perfect.................or at least this was the case when Kenny was resident!.....

...however our last visit was very disappointing - which was, as you'd expect very odd...(nothing technically wrong with the preparation of the food per se - simply that certain of the dishes, were un-imaginative, bland and uninspiring - there were some recognisable dishes served, but the quality/taste, and standard of cooking simply wasn't there) ..whilst we were understandably very disappointed, I didn't think much of it on the night in question, thinking perhaps that they simply had an off night - or that Kenny was on holiday (let's face it even the best restaurants have bad nights!).

The next day I got an unsolicited phone call from the restaurant - asking me what I thought of the previous evening's dinner - (a first!!) - I was honest and said it was our only poor meal there to date....and that frankly I was very disappointed in it....they promised to "give that feedback to the management"...but no other suggestions were forthcoming.

I then discovered that Kenny had left the restaurant several weeks prior to our latest meal there - and suddenly everything made sense!!! It seems Kenny is now opening a new Brasserie style restaurant in Newcastle - (which is GREAT news! - but thats another story!).....and clearly without his leadership, direction and imagination the menu had floundered somewhat?

So if you are going to this restaurant expecting "Kenny Atkinson" style menus and cooking then think again. I will certainly try the restaurant again at some point - preferably once they have appointed a new head chef......but in the meantime I will be looking elsewhere.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank DarrenKell
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Amazing!”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

A group of friends and I visited here, staying at the hotel for the weekend. The Orangery was a lovely experience, commencing being picked up at our hotel house and being taken to the restaurant by golf buggy! We had such a laugh. On arrival at the restaurant, we were seated immediately and nothing was too much trouble for the staff. We all had the tasting menu with wine pairing and every course was devine! Can thoroughly recommend this restaurant, but what made it all the more special was the thoroughly friendly and un-pretentious staff! Would most certainly go again, and again, and again.....!

• Visited June 2013
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Birthday treat”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

It was a belated 50th birthday treat, and it was well worth the wait. The food was simply perfect, and the staff were even better! Nothing seemed too much trouble, they were very attentive without being too fussy. The Orangery is a beautiful room, with lovely views out onto the grounds. It certainly won't be another 50 years before I go again!

• Visited July 2013
Newcastle Upon Tyne
“Lunch en route”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

My husband and I decided to treat ourselves to lunch in the Orangery on our way south from Newcastle. We enjoyed our first visit very much. Lunch was delicious and our Romanian waiter and waitress could not have been kinder, even serving our shared dessert on separate plates. The Orangery is an impressive venue. Our reservation was for 1.30. However we were surprised that before we had finished our meal that Afternoon Tea guests were seated from 2.30 onwards. It rather spoilt the atmosphere, after all this is not a coffee shop. This aside we look forward to returning.