I was taken here as a birthday treat, mainly for the food and as we didn't know much about the hotel itself, my partner was concerned about what it might be like. As soon as we pulled up, our minds were put at rest; we were met at the door by a member of staff who parked the car and took our luggage and told us it would be in the room before we were. He was right. We sat down at reception and were asked if we would like a glass of water after the journey. Checking in was quick and smooth and we were shown to the room.
We originally booked a room in the new part of the hotel but had to change our dates due to work commitments and re-booked one in the old house and were told they can be a bit small. We were very surprised by how big the room was considering that comment and the bathroom was a very generous size. Having said that, we have since seen the rooms in the newer section and they are huge so we could see why the remark was made.
Everything about the hotel is very impressive, from the efficient young team, the food and service but most of all by the hotel itself. The decor is remarkable, it is daring, fun, sumptuous, sometimes a little kitsch, bright and it works on every level. Whoever did the scheme/s deserves some sort of accolade. As for the building; the corridors are very wide and imposing and the rooms are large and very interesting with even grander stairways and mezzanines all of which have fascinating and wonderful quality furniture, curtaining and carpeting.
We didn't even go to the spa but I have seen pictures of it and it is just as stylish and grand.
There is a lot more I could mention, like the championship golf course but as I don't play I will leave that to the experts.
The food was very good indeed and a meal in the orangery is definitely a celebration.
Needless to say, it was a fantastic treat and we will be back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rockliffe Hall is the only five red star hotel in the North of England. Set on a magnificent 18th century estate on the banks of the River Tees, Rockliffe Hall is a destination in itself. Rockliffe Hall's world-class spa and golf course, well-equipped meeting rooms, three restaurants and sublime service ensure it is the perfect place to escape and relax, to do business, and to create memories that will linger on. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Rockliffe Hall reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rockliffe Hall Hotel Hurworth-On-Tees
- Rockliffe Hall Hurworth-On-Tees, United Kingdom - Darlington