“Stunning.”
Review of Rockliffe Hall

Rockliffe Hall
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I was taken here as a birthday treat, mainly for the food and as we didn't know much about the hotel itself, my partner was concerned about what it might be like. As soon as we pulled up, our minds were put at rest; we were met at the door by a member of staff who parked the car and took our luggage and told us it would be in the room before we were. He was right. We sat down at reception and were asked if we would like a glass of water after the journey. Checking in was quick and smooth and we were shown to the room.

We originally booked a room in the new part of the hotel but had to change our dates due to work commitments and re-booked one in the old house and were told they can be a bit small. We were very surprised by how big the room was considering that comment and the bathroom was a very generous size. Having said that, we have since seen the rooms in the newer section and they are huge so we could see why the remark was made.

Everything about the hotel is very impressive, from the efficient young team, the food and service but most of all by the hotel itself. The decor is remarkable, it is daring, fun, sumptuous, sometimes a little kitsch, bright and it works on every level. Whoever did the scheme/s deserves some sort of accolade. As for the building; the corridors are very wide and imposing and the rooms are large and very interesting with even grander stairways and mezzanines all of which have fascinating and wonderful quality furniture, curtaining and carpeting.

We didn't even go to the spa but I have seen pictures of it and it is just as stylish and grand.

There is a lot more I could mention, like the championship golf course but as I don't play I will leave that to the experts.

The food was very good indeed and a meal in the orangery is definitely a celebration.

Needless to say, it was a fantastic treat and we will be back.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,683)

Reviewed June 15, 2013

This treat was paid for by my two sons as a birthday present. Three friends and I had a marvellous time. The surroundings were perfect. We had tea in the Morning Room rather than the Orangery. The food was delicious. The staff were polite and attentive and a credit to Rockcliffe Hall. We said we'd be back and we will. We're already arranging Christmas. Would give more than 5 stars if it was possible.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 13, 2013

My friend and I recently had a spa day at Rockliffe Hall and everything exceeded our expectations.
We were greeted by a very friendly member of staff and taken for our arrival drink. After choosing our lunch and being told about our day we were taken to the beautiful changing rooms and shown to the spa which is wonderful. There are a few rooms including a sauna, an igloo room, a hydro pool, a large swimming pool and jacuzzi. All very clean and spacious.
We both had treatments which were excellent. My facial was relaxing and carried out my a brilliant therapist. We had lunch on the terrace overlooking the beautiful grounds and golf course and our food was to die for and again the staff were excellent.
The beetroot, goats cheese and walnut salad was amazing.
Overall I would highly recommend Rockliffe Hall and I will 100% be back, probably to stay over night as would happily live here.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Wedding on Sunny Friday 7th June Gail & Richard, from arrival to departure first class service and lots of staff smiles (it goes a long way you know) we have stayed in (nominally) 5* hotels before yet none matched the levels of service and attention to detail we experienced at Rockliffe Hall, Food, rooms, bars, spa, public areas, excellent.

The organisation of the event from meet and greet through the service to canapes and bucks fizz on the lawn and on to the wedding breakfast closely followed by the night do! was absolutely seamless oh and did i mention the Hog Roast on the terrace at night no well seamless as well, obviously the Management of this hotel place customer service to the fore in every given situation, the professionalism and dedication of the (sometimes) young staff was exemplary, my wife commented on the good humour and smiles of the staff (yes i know already mentioned but don't care) the room was first rate, comfortable and the beds were divine, tv at the end of the bath for those who want.

I may need to finish here as I appear to be running out of superlatives

Room Tip: my tip is just book any you won't be disappointed
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

Visited Rockcliffe Hall yesterday for Mums birthday surprise it was fantastic never met such fantastic attentive staff they are a credit to Rockcliffe Hall
My phone went flat and the girl arranged a charger to come while I was having afternoon tea little things like that really go a long way.
Can't wait to return for a pamper day and weekend stay
Thankyou.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I chose the hotel for a one night stay with my wife to celebrate our Wedding Anniversary. We found the hotel to deliver everything you expect from a 5* hotel.
The staff were extremely professional with the ability to provide you with attention, but still retain the ability to not invade your personal space. They provided us with details about all of the facilities and were always polite and smiling.
The facilities are all first class with the Spa providing a great place to unwind for a while and even though this was a sunny weekend in June, there was no impression that the hotel was over run with guests or day visitors.
We ate in the Brasserie which was relaxed with a good selection for each course and the chef delivered quality food that met the menu's description and to my personal preference did not have one hundred and fifty ingredients and long winded use of imaginary words to fulfil the chef's ego with a confusion for the tastebuds..
There is a good selection of cocktails which should keep everyone happy and warm from the inside.
Our room was in the New Hall area on teh 2nd floor with a balcony & views over the golf course. All rooms in the New Hall overlook the golf course with no car park view rooms. Other reviewers have explained the features of the room and they all worked fine.
Breakfast in the Orangerie was as good as everyone has said.
Overall - fantastic place. Great setting. Great food. Great service. In fact, everything that you expect from a 5* hotel. QED.

Room Tip: 316 - 2nd floor in New Hall is the only suite on 2nd floor with a balcony. Well worth it.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Everything was faultless. The staff are a credit. Everyone was extremely professional, friendly and nothing too much trouble. We dined in the Orangery restaurant which was fab. Delicious food. we spent the next day in the Spa which was so pampering we stayed till 7pm. We both had a lovely massage and facial.Everything about the hotel is sublime. We will definitely return. Thank you Rockcliffe , we had a real treat!

• Stayed: June 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hurworth-on-Tees
Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa
Blackwell Grange Hotel
Blackwell Grange Hotel
#8 of 21 in Darlington
The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington

Been to Rockliffe Hall? Share your experiences!