“a relaxing and great spa day”
Review of Rockliffe Hall

Rockliffe Hall
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I have been to Rockcliffe hall on a few occasions for lunch, meeting friends, and also to a talk, but until today had never used their spa facilities. I've always enjoyed time spent at Rockcliffe. The food is delicious, you always feel very looked after, and it is in wonderful surroundings.
Today I had a completely new experience at Rockcliffe Hall in the spa. It was a wonderful, experience, and there were many different areas you could relax in. The swimming pool was large and warm,there were steam rooms, a sauna, and an amazing hydro pool amongst other things.
After a wonderful lunch I returned to the Spa, and had various treatments which were very relaxing. If going with close family or friends I would recommend the mud treatment. it was great. The staff were very helpful and I did feel looked after..
Although I can't comment on the rooms as I haven't stayed at Rockcliffe, I can definitely recommend the spa and the restaurant , and I will certainly return for more spa days in the near future.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,688)

Reviewed February 5, 2013

My wife and I were given a voucher to eat in the Orangery and so we decided to make more of an occasion and stay for the evening also. Whilst this is an expensive hotel, we were so pleasd that we did.Rockliffe is a first class, luxury hotel and every little detail is looked after. We were met when we arrived and our car was taken and parked for us and there the experience began! We booked a standard room but were upgraded and all for a very reasonable price. We stayed in the new wing as we wanted to be close to the SPA area. The room was very spacious and luxurious and very clean and modern. The food in the Orangery was fabulous and whilst the wine is expensive (starting at £24/bottle) it was well worth it, as part part of the overall experience. The SPA and pool area are really well fitted out and luxurious and a must during any visit. Staff could not be more helpful. We will certainly return again.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 5, 2013

This is the third time we have been to Rockliffe Hall although we have as yet to stay overnight. Previously we have been for a Spa and afternoon tea treat and also the Diamond Jubilee afternoon tea function - both last year. This time we booked the Lazy Sunday Spa Day as a birthday treat for me as my birthday fell on the Sunday. The day started with a delicious late breakfast in the Orangery which consisted of tea/coffee/fruit juice, a fresh fruit platter, pastries/toast plus a cooked breakfast from a menu choice. I had scrambled eggs and salmon on a toasted muffin - the salmon is the best I have ever tasted, and my husband had a full English cooked breakfast which he thoroughly enjoyed.
We were then escorted down to the Spa where everything was explained to us and we were handed locker keys. Inside the locker is a lovely fluffy robe and slippers which you can relax in for the duration of your stay and there are plenty of dry towels stored in the changing rooms as well for you to use while using the pool, showering etc. The ladies changing rooms are lovely and big and well set out with some complimentary toiletries, hairdryers and a nifty little machine which spins your swimming costume round to get the excess water out before you pop it in the supplied bag to take away with you! Hubby says mens changing rooms are equally good and he commented particularly on the constant supply of clean dry towels provided by the hardworking staff.
The Spa is wonderful - lovely big pool, various heat and cold rooms which are all explained in a leaflet you are provided with and an amazing jacuzzi/hydropool which is my favourite. There is also a staffed juice bar where you can get complimentary water/juice or order something slightly stronger! The Spa was quite busy but I think this was due to couple of large groups celebrating birthdays but there was plenty of room for everyone and it did not detract from our enjoyment.
We lazed around in the Spa for a couple of hours enjoying all the facilities and relaxing before heading off for our pre-booked treatments. I had opted for the warm oil massage which was delightful - so relaxing I almost nodded off but also with the right amount of pressure to work out a few knots in my back and calves. Hubby, after much persuasion, had opted for the facial treatement which he really enjoyed much to his surprise. The staff were very attentive, friendly and professional and you are made to feel very special.
After the treatments you are taken to the Sleep Retreat where you are placed on a bed in a dimly lit area with relaxing music playing and covered with a warm throw. Sound waves then vibrate through the bed totally relaxing you - it's like lying on a big purring cat. I could have happily spent the night there.
Sadly all too soon we had to leave to drive back home - next time I will definitely have to book a room! Rockliffe Hall is my favourite hotel even though I haven't yet stayed here and I think this is down to the top class customer service that I have always received when I have visited. All the staff are smartly attired and with a genuinely happy demeanour, you are made to feel like nothing is too much trouble for them and that their main aim is to ensure that YOU have the perfect day! Thanks again Rockliffe for a wonderful birthday - we will be back!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Best hotel have ever stayed in!!! Would recommend to anyone. This is the second time have stayed here and looking forward to the third already. Yes it's expensive, however for a special occasion (or just for a treat) would definitely recommend to any of my family/friends. Have stayed in both the Tiplady Lodge and the New Hall rooms. Tiplady Lodge is lovely, but if you can afford a little extra would say go for the New Hall rooms simply because they are bigger, have a television in the bathroom and it is lovely being able to walk straight through to the spa in your dressing gown and slippers. The Orangery is outstanding and the attention to detail is amazing. Have also eaten in the Clubhouse which is lovely too. Would say to anyone save up for that special occasion and visit Rockliffe it is out of this world!!!

Room Tip: Pay that little extra to stay within the main building.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gemwise
Reviewed February 4, 2013

From arriving to leaving the whole stay was fabulous. The staff are so friendly, welcoming and very professional nothing too much trouble. Spa area and treatments were fantastic. The rooms very luxurious and very comfortable.A must try is a meal in Kenny Atkinson at the Orangery.Food is out of this world.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Beautiful hotel. For a 5 Star hotel, the staff were very friendly and made it feel relaxed. Our room was in the New Hall (Great for being able to just put your dressing gown and slippers on and going direct to spa). The room itself was HUGE with a bedroom with a living area in it, separate dressing area, bathroom (with wonderful bath with TV and huge waterfall shower) and a separate toilet.
The room had a fridge in it (hurrah!) and complimentary water. It was a modern room with every possible detail thought out (mood lighting etc.)

The spa is fantastic - we visited it on 3 occasions - each time it was very relaxing, very clean and not too busy. I had the Splendour treatment which was one of the best spa treatments I have ever had.

The communal rooms are decorated beautifully, though (for me) it all feels slightly too thought out - like a footballer's version of an old manor house! It is all absolutely lovely, just maybe a little too perfect (if possible?!).

The first night we got room service which came from the Brasserie and was delicious! Breakfast was served in the Orangery which is a fabulous setting. The buffet selection breakfast was lovely. My husband ordered a Full English breakfast and I ordered pancakes, which were nice. For lunch, we just wanted a light bite so went to the Brasserie around 3pm - it was very quiet (only 4 other people in there) and the manager/maitre'd was interviewing a new member of staff so our service was annoyingly slow. When we came to pay the bill we waited at the table and no one came then walked to wait at the till and still no one came! We had to go and find a member of staff! Annoying in a 5 star hotel, even if staff were busy.

Dinner at The Orangery was FABULOUS - a brilliant experience I would recommend. The food was amazing, the service absolute perfection. Will definitely go back.

My only niggle was on the last day when presented with my bill I noticed that my depoisit for my spa bill (50% - £55) hadn't been taken off from my hotel bill. When I mentioned this to reception assuming it was an oversight, they looked into it but said I hadn't. So instead of relaxing on the my last morning, i was ringing HSBC to get the exact date the money had been taken from my account!!!!! When I told the reception staff the date etc. they said they still had no record and I would have to provide a proof of payment if they couldn't find any record of it. This really stressed me out and ruined my last morning. I had emails from the spa confirming the payment but I still felt as though it was my fault. I did however receive an email apologising for my inconvenience and confirming they had received my payment, but with no offer of anything to make up for this, which to me was a big inconvenience and annoyance. This left a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth but had a lovely time apart from that and will hopefully return,

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FireflyJH
Reviewed February 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend in January. We stayed in a Junior Suite. The room was really comfortable but perhaps not as modern as I was expecting; nor was the bathroom as luxurious as I was hoping. However, we still had a fabulous time - excellent, friendly (but not overbearing) service; lovely food, particularly in the Orangery; fantastic spa area and enjoyable spa treatments; great night's sleep. Minor niggles - being offered a 7pm or 9.30pm table only for dinner on our first night when we had been told on making the hotel booking we didn't need to book the Brasserie in advance (was sorted out almost immediately with a time of our choice but was still a bit of a dampener on arrival); being delivered the wrong Sunday paper (tiny issue and was immediately resolved); lots of cables hanging down from the back of the on-the-wall TV (we didn't bring this to anyone's attention but is not what you expect in a 5 star suite). We also visited the Bay Horse pub in the village and would also highly recommend this - it's a nice walk out and offered delicious food in a cosy environment with a great log fire.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hurworth-on-Tees
Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa
#8 of 21 in Darlington
Middleton Lodge
Middleton Lodge
#3 of 8 in Richmond

Been to Rockliffe Hall? Share your experiences!