We had initially wanted to stay at the Swinton Park but it was fully booked several weeks ago for the time we were going to be in the North East. We found Rockliffe Hall through "tripadviser" and decided to give it a try. We were not at all disappointed as this is a very, very comfortable hotel.
We paid in advance and got a 15% discount on our Junior suite which had something like an 80 sq m floor area. We ate in the Brasserie one night and in the Orangery the second. Both meals were of a very high standard, although to our mind not quite up there with the Driftwood near St Mawes where we stayed in September.
Yes there were a couple of niggles, we failed to master the lighting system in the room whilst the TV was a bit tempermental - the Duty Manager said they were aware of both issues but as yet they had not been addressed - but on the other hand our i-pad worked a treat.
We visited Washington Old Hall (good), Bowes Museum (a bit disappointing), the National Railway Museum at Shildon (2 Gresley A4 Pacifics - Dwight D Eisenhower and Dominion of Canada- being cosmetically restored ahead of the 75th Anniversary of Mallard's world speed record next year) and the Black Sheep Brewery in Masham (my wife was not particularly impressed!!)
All in all a very relaxing two night break in an area we have not visited for some 30 years.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rockliffe Hall is the only five red star hotel in the North of England. Set on a magnificent 18th century estate on the banks of the River Tees, Rockliffe Hall is a destination in itself. Rockliffe Hall's world-class spa and golf course, well-equipped meeting rooms, three restaurants and sublime service ensure it is the perfect place to escape and relax, to do business, and to create memories that will linger on. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotwire, Orbitz, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA and HRS so you can book your Rockliffe Hall reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rockliffe Hall Hotel Hurworth-On-Tees
- Rockliffe Hall Hurworth-On-Tees, United Kingdom - Darlington