“A very, very comfortable hotel”
Review of Rockliffe Hall

Rockliffe Hall
Stourport on Severn, United Kingdom
“A very, very comfortable hotel”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We had initially wanted to stay at the Swinton Park but it was fully booked several weeks ago for the time we were going to be in the North East. We found Rockliffe Hall through "tripadviser" and decided to give it a try. We were not at all disappointed as this is a very, very comfortable hotel.

We paid in advance and got a 15% discount on our Junior suite which had something like an 80 sq m floor area. We ate in the Brasserie one night and in the Orangery the second. Both meals were of a very high standard, although to our mind not quite up there with the Driftwood near St Mawes where we stayed in September.

Yes there were a couple of niggles, we failed to master the lighting system in the room whilst the TV was a bit tempermental - the Duty Manager said they were aware of both issues but as yet they had not been addressed - but on the other hand our i-pad worked a treat.

We visited Washington Old Hall (good), Bowes Museum (a bit disappointing), the National Railway Museum at Shildon (2 Gresley A4 Pacifics - Dwight D Eisenhower and Dominion of Canada- being cosmetically restored ahead of the 75th Anniversary of Mallard's world speed record next year) and the Black Sheep Brewery in Masham (my wife was not particularly impressed!!)

All in all a very relaxing two night break in an area we have not visited for some 30 years.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (549)
North East
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I took my lovely mum to Rockliffe Hall for afternoon tea for her 75th birthday, Afternoon tea is something we love to do its such a treat. Ive sampled afternoon tea in some amazing places from local places a regular at Wynyard Hall upto the The Ritz in London (cant praise it highly enough), Rockliffe is wonderful i cant wait to return, its pricy but you pay fo the amazing foodue delights and the experience , the ambience and the beautiful suurroundings which compliment the experience (in my opinion). we had a little pot of gorgeousness it was fresh blackberry jelly with a vanilla foam...mmmmmmm it was so lush. i myself love to bake i make lovely scones and im quite hard to please, the scones i had here were the best ive ever had!!
I struggled to make my booking the floods up here had stopped the telephone lines woring, im quite resourceful, and determined and tweted Kenny Atkinson to ask is he could help, i was blown away when one of my fave celeb chefs responded and sorted my booking for me. Im not sure hte staf i dealt with beying Kenny were too impressed at my cheek but i really wanted to take my mum and couldnt get through via the phoen it was never intended t be a stunt. i was originally told by answerphone they couldnt accomodate us but when i rang back the young lady i spoke to couldnt be more helpful ans thn shge rang me back with a better table and an earlier time. I really loved the feel of the place sumptious but not intimidating and a real treu foodie high. My hubby and I are going back for my wedding anniversary gift from my fab children to the Brasserie i simply cannot wait to return. Im going with my team from work for festive afternoon tea for our Christmas treat....bring it on!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Lafybug
London
Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

I cannot fault this hotel. The staff are fantastic. A five star service with no hint of prevention of snobbiness. The room was amazing with a tv at the end of the bath. It impressed both myself & our 6 year old twin boys. Lovely Miller & Harris toiletries, plenty of tea & coffee in the room. We only had breakfast at the hotel but that was lovely. Fresh pastries, fruit, cereal etc & a wonderful cooked breakfast. The spa was also wonderful. I had a massage & the lady who did it was friendly & professional. The after treatment room was amazing & very relaxing.
All in all we had an amazing time. Most importantly our children were made to feel welcome & that always makes a hotel a winner for me.

• Stayed October 2012
Reviewed October 9, 2012

First impressions were great. Beautiful modern hotel, tasteful decor in a wonderful setting. Staff were very welcoming and attentive which is why I have rated the property as 'very good'. However, the afternoon tea was very disappointing. We were presented with a selection of anaemic looking sandwiches containing egg/cress, ham/mustard, cheese/tomato & the saving grace, smoked salmon/creme fraiche. This was followed by a variety of small cakes including a scone with fresh cream & jam and tea/coffee.
I expected to pay approx £20 for this type of venue but I also expected something a little more adventurous and upmarket.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
St Albans
Reviewed October 7, 2012

There is nothing bad about this establishment. The best hotel that i have stayed in the UK for a while. I stay here every month due to work commitments, and staying at this hotel makes going to Darlington more bearable.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Wrexham North Wales
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Just returned from a fantastic 3 day break at Rockliffe Hall. Can't praise enough the quality of surroundings, both indoors and outdoors, the amazing food and excellent service. The Prestige meal in The Orangery made for a memorable last night and was well worth the expense. If you are planning a special treat this is the place to go you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Royston, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 4, 2012

This is a most luxurious hotel set in beautiful grounds. We totally enjoyed our 3 day stay. We were staying in the Tiplady Lodge which is very close to the Main Hall. The room was very spacious and beautifully furnished, and it was incredibly peaceful with views over the grounds.
The staff were very friendly and helpful throughout the hotel and the Spa, and the dinner in The Orangery was a true experience - fantastic food in a great setting.
For a luxurious getaway for a few days, this cannot be beaten - totally to be recommended.

Room Tip: The rooms in Tiplady Lodge are less expensive than in the Main Hotel, but are extremely modern and i...