“Half Way House”

The Otter and Fish
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Overlooking the river tees in the picturesque village of Hurworth close to the north Yorkshire border. Fully refurbished inside & out to the highest standard, creating an ambiance second to none, in what has to be the best interior in the area. Family owned & run since 2006, we pride ourselves on our food & service. Our menus and service create a warm & welcoming atmosphere with the emphasis on food & service, ensuring a great experience. We serve traditional bar meals as well as a full a la carte menu, giving customers of all tastes plenty of choice. Our food is all homemade, prepared on the premises and sourced from local suppliers.
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We meet with friends from County Durham at the Otter three or four times a year and its something I look forward to. We both drive about 30miles to get to Hurworth but the food and ambiance of the place is a real treat and well worth the trip. We called here Monday night and the restaurant was busy, but because of all the soft furnishing the noise levels were low and you can easily hear each other speak.

The food is excellent but I do wish the menu included some plainer options such as steak pie or burger. We all had a three course meal and each part was delicious and all four of us enjoyed our individual choice. I always choose the house white wine and again this was excellent.

The service was great and the staff were very friendly and further enhanced our overall enjoyment. The seating was very comfortable and the interior design very relaxing with some stunning features.

Great place and a real credit to the owners

1  Thank Chris D

Reviewed February 5, 2013

We dined at the Otter and Fish in Hurworth on Saturday night and really enjoyed the experience. The restaurant has a buzzy atmosphere with a mixed group of customers. The menu is varied and interesting with a good selection of specials.
Prices are reasonable, we particularly enjoyed the mixed seafood starter and the lamb shank main course. Portions are generous so no chance of sampling dessert. The early bird menu looks like incredible value although we were dining too late to take advantage of it.
Would highly recommend a visit to anyone in the area. The only negative is parking, the car park is small and was full on the night of our visit.

1  Thank CandSF
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I visited the otter and the fish with family for a meal and drinks. We all had 3 courses and the food and service was great. We sat in the bar afterwards and felt it was nice and cosy. I would revisit

1  Thank Lorraine B
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We have been going to this restaurant since just before it was transformed to its current standard.We have had Lunches,Dinners and Early Bird Menus.I cannot remember being disappointed with the food but was sorry when for a while they stopped doing the beautiful curry.However i see it is back.Hurrah.

The staff are really helpful and efficient.Good job we do not live next door or I would never cook!!
Well done Otter and Fish.

1  Thank MarjOrie2013_13
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Our food was lush. I was a little bit disappointed at first as I really fancied the garlic mushrooms from the early bird menu which the first waitress said I could still order from and pay the individual price, the second waitress said this was not possible as stopped serving those dishes at 6pm ( surely if they were in the kitchen I could buy them) any how this meant I had to choose something else. Mmm thy did me a favour I had king prawns to start, which ere lovely. He place has a great atmosphere, will def be returning

1  Thank Sarah P