“Looked after m-i-l”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Walworth
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Looked after m-i-l”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

This review is on behalf of my mother in law who stayed at the castle as it was local while she had her heating upgraded at home. Having stayed at a hotel in Harrogate that she was unhappy with she came home to find her heating had not been completed and opted to stay at Walworth. On arriving she found the room cold but she was provided with a heater and before long the room was lovely and cosy.The staff were amazing. Incredibly helpful and polite and she was really looked after. On the first day she asked when the salon opened. The staff member asked what treatment she wanted and she told them she didn't want any, she just wanted to borrow a hairbrush as she had forgotten hers. The staff member lent her her own! She used room service regularly and found this to be really good. On the Sunday we joined her for a delicious carvery which she couldn't finish. She asked another staff member for some foil so she could finish her food in her room. The plate was dutifully delivered to the room for her. The staff member even knew which room to deliver it to. The bed was comfortable and though small the room met her needs well. Staff on reception were knowledgeable and having delivered his mum on the Friday the reception staff remembered my husband and phoned the room for us to inform his mum of our arrival the following day. Please pass on our gratitude to the staff for their professionalism and kindness. It took a great deal of the concern from us to know how well she was cared for.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Trixy79
Rachel S, Owner at Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dear Trixy79,

I am so pleased your mother in law decided to stay at our hotel. I will certainly pass your comments to the members of staff who helped to make her stay so special.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Polish first
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2013

We visited Walworth to attend a birthday celebration which we enjoyed but it would have been even better if there had been some heating in the castle. The corridors and rooms were so cold, a wood burner in the Library struggled to raise a flame let alone give out any heat. Luckily we had opted to stay at a hotel nearby which was warm and cosy. The food was ok, service not too bad. The whole place had an air of neglect and was drab and depressing.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear munson286,

I am sincerely sorry that you didn't really enjoy your time with us. We have taken your recent feedback on board and upgraded the boiler used to supply heat to the hotel. In addition we have had 2 new log burning stoves installed, one in the farmers bar and one in the hotels lounge. I hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I have always promised myself a night in a castle and so, after a great day watching the rallying at Croft and a visit to Whitby, my boyfriend and I arrived at Walworth Castle. Arriving after dark we found the hotel with no trouble thanks to satnav and signposts. As we pulled into the drive the castle is beautifully lit and looked incredibly romantic. Ample parking outside the door even though there were quite a few cars already there.
On entering reception we were greeted by a charming chap who made us feel very welcome, check in was seamless and we set off up the stairs to the Camelot Suite. There are rooms available in the castle main building and in an annexe but we had opted to have one,of the turret rooms.
The Camelot Suite is on the second floor of the castle with no used rooms above it so we were hoping for a good nights sleep. As you enter the suite the lunge area is very spacious with ample seating and a flat screen wall mounted tv. Wifi is included and works in the lounge, a door leads through to a passageway, right to the bathroom and left to the bedroom. The bathroom is very nice, modern suite with tiled wall/floor with bath and electric shower over. Bath robes were provided along with some toiletries and plenty of white fluffy towels.
The bedroom is in the actual turret of the castle and houses a canopied bed, wardrobe and storage, everything that you need and is quite charming.
We had eaten late in the afternoon so decided to chill in the suite for the evening and from the minute we locked the door to leaving the next morning did not hear any noise from other guests (or ghosts either!). It was the quietest night I have ever spent in a hotel.
The only issue we had was with the shower as it was impossible to get the temperature right, it went from scalding to freezing and back again within the space of minutes.
I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel and would certainly stay there again. It is a charming hotel with character and history and, although we tend to all be conditioned to want shiny swanky hotels, it has a warm welcoming feel that many new hotels cannot replicate

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Rachel S, Owner at Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear LincolnshireWendywoo

Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review of our hotel. I am pleased you decided to stay at Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel, which has enabled you to tick your 'castle stay' from your bucket list! From your review I notice that you found all the staff to be friendly and welcoming, and I will certainly pass on your comments to the members of our team who helped to make your stay so special. I hope you will come and stay with us again and maybe try a different room in the castle as they are all individually decorated.
ne england
Reviewed November 4, 2013

My wife and I retuned for a third visit to Walworth Castle hotel, for an overnight stay an evening meal and breakfast before leaving.
On arrival the first thing my wife said was "its cold in here" on getting our room (18) it was Baltic
and no heating on, after speaking to reception I was told there was a fan heater in the wardrobe what with the size of the room and the height of the ceiling we may as well have had a candle.
On going down for our evening meal we found a huge open fire grate with a mini grate sat in the middle and as hard as the staff tried to build it up, the wood was damp and gave out no heat.
We finished our meal and thought we would try the library opposite reception as it had a large electric heater which would you believe wouldn't work, so we ended up sat beside a small fan heater for the evening. We were speaking to an Australian couple who were telling us that their
room was like a fridge. So what was supposed to be an anniversary treat for my wife, sadly did not turn out to be a treat at all just a let down.
I will certainly be writing to Rachel S owner

Room Tip: ask for one that has a decent heater
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Rachel S, Owner at Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear DAVEYNeEngland

Firstly I would like to apologise for the lack of heating during your stay. We did have a problems with the boilers and the only option available at the time was to offer fan heaters. I know that this situation is not ideal although it was the best we could offer in the circumstances. I am happy to contact you directly once I receive your letter and I sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.
Port of Spain, Trinidad
Reviewed October 28, 2013

My family and I came all the way from the Caribbean to attend the wedding of my husband's niece which was being held at your hotel on August 12, 2013. About half an hour before the wedding was due to start as we were dressing our 3 year old and 6 year old sons we discovered that our 3 year old son's suit trousers were missing. The Manager at the Reception desk saw my disheartened look as I walked back from the car and enquired about what happened and I explained. I was pleasantly suprised when he took the time and effort to acquire a pair of trousers for us which belonged to his son who may have been around the same age. Mr. Singh (I think that is your name) you went above and beyond the call of duty for us. We will always have fond memories of our stay and we would like to acknowledge what you did. Best Western - your customer service is indeed the best. I would highly recommend your hotel.
The Gillette Family

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Lynette G

I was very interested to read your review and pleased that Surinder went out of his way to obtain a pair of trousers for your son. Being a privately owned and operated hotel we take customer service as a number one priority, and pleased that you were able to enjoy the wedding because of Surinders actions. If you are ever visiting England in the future we hope you will call in as it would be lovely to see you again.
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We booked this Hotel as part of my wifes 50th Birthday family celebrations. 26/10/13

The Staff at Walworth Castle were brilliant in the organising of this event from start to finish...
We stayed in the King James Suite and we were not disappointed with what we booked.
The lounge in the room swallowed up 26 people for pre-dinner Champange toast and the atmosphere of the Castle added to the event.

The evening meal that we booked was outstanding, cooked to perfection.... A big Thank you to the chef and his team.

The overall quality of rooms that our family booked met to their satisfaction it's obvious you will have faults within a room. This not to your satisfaction or that not to your taste, but please remember that this Building is hundreds of years old and the up keep of the Castle is a difficult task for any owner.

Our friend commented to us about some mould on a wall! I said did you report it to reception "No" If you do not report a query on the day how are the Hotel management meant to rectify the problem asap or be made aware of the condition?

Once again a massive thank you to Surinder and all the team for making this the most memorable celebration for my wifes Birthday.
A special thank you to the most cheerful waitress we have ever had the pleasure of meeting
The Scottish Lass sorry did not get your name.

If you are passing near Walworth Castle I recommend that you take a detour for the Sunday Carvery (open to the public 12 -4) and a walk around an amazing Hotel.

Once Again A Big Thank You

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sammydog321
Dear Sammydog321

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review about our hotel. I am pleased we helped to make your wife's 50th birthday one to remember. I will certainly pass your comments onto Surinder and the team.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Walworth
Lumley Castle Hotel
Blackwell Grange Hotel
#8 of 21 in Darlington
Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel
The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington

Been to Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!