“anniversary let down”

Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Walworth
Reviewed November 4, 2013

My wife and I retuned for a third visit to Walworth Castle hotel, for an overnight stay an evening meal and breakfast before leaving.
On arrival the first thing my wife said was "its cold in here" on getting our room (18) it was Baltic
and no heating on, after speaking to reception I was told there was a fan heater in the wardrobe what with the size of the room and the height of the ceiling we may as well have had a candle.
On going down for our evening meal we found a huge open fire grate with a mini grate sat in the middle and as hard as the staff tried to build it up, the wood was damp and gave out no heat.
We finished our meal and thought we would try the library opposite reception as it had a large electric heater which would you believe wouldn't work, so we ended up sat beside a small fan heater for the evening. We were speaking to an Australian couple who were telling us that their
room was like a fridge. So what was supposed to be an anniversary treat for my wife, sadly did not turn out to be a treat at all just a let down.
I will certainly be writing to Rachel S owner

Room Tip: ask for one that has a decent heater
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Rachel S, Owner at Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Dear DAVEYNeEngland

Firstly I would like to apologise for the lack of heating during your stay. We did have a problems with the boilers and the only option available at the time was to offer fan heaters. I know that this situation is not ideal although it was the best we could offer in the circumstances. I am happy to contact you directly once I receive your letter and I sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

My family and I came all the way from the Caribbean to attend the wedding of my husband's niece which was being held at your hotel on August 12, 2013. About half an hour before the wedding was due to start as we were dressing our 3 year old and 6 year old sons we discovered that our 3 year old son's suit trousers were missing. The Manager at the Reception desk saw my disheartened look as I walked back from the car and enquired about what happened and I explained. I was pleasantly suprised when he took the time and effort to acquire a pair of trousers for us which belonged to his son who may have been around the same age. Mr. Singh (I think that is your name) you went above and beyond the call of duty for us. We will always have fond memories of our stay and we would like to acknowledge what you did. Best Western - your customer service is indeed the best. I would highly recommend your hotel.
The Gillette Family

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Lynette G

I was very interested to read your review and pleased that Surinder went out of his way to obtain a pair of trousers for your son. Being a privately owned and operated hotel we take customer service as a number one priority, and pleased that you were able to enjoy the wedding because of Surinders actions. If you are ever visiting England in the future we hope you will call in as it would be lovely to see you again.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

We booked this Hotel as part of my wifes 50th Birthday family celebrations. 26/10/13

The Staff at Walworth Castle were brilliant in the organising of this event from start to finish...
We stayed in the King James Suite and we were not disappointed with what we booked.
The lounge in the room swallowed up 26 people for pre-dinner Champange toast and the atmosphere of the Castle added to the event.

The evening meal that we booked was outstanding, cooked to perfection.... A big Thank you to the chef and his team.

The overall quality of rooms that our family booked met to their satisfaction it's obvious you will have faults within a room. This not to your satisfaction or that not to your taste, but please remember that this Building is hundreds of years old and the up keep of the Castle is a difficult task for any owner.

Our friend commented to us about some mould on a wall! I said did you report it to reception "No" If you do not report a query on the day how are the Hotel management meant to rectify the problem asap or be made aware of the condition?

Once again a massive thank you to Surinder and all the team for making this the most memorable celebration for my wifes Birthday.
A special thank you to the most cheerful waitress we have ever had the pleasure of meeting
The Scottish Lass sorry did not get your name.

If you are passing near Walworth Castle I recommend that you take a detour for the Sunday Carvery (open to the public 12 -4) and a walk around an amazing Hotel.

Once Again A Big Thank You

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sammydog321

Dear Sammydog321

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review about our hotel. I am pleased we helped to make your wife's 50th birthday one to remember. I will certainly pass your comments onto Surinder and the team.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I won a night at BW Walworth Castle and arranged to come and stay on 12th October 2013. It was a miserable day but I felt excited when we pulled up as the exterior looked really Grand. We checked in and were shown to our room which was clean and nice and warm considering we were in such an old building. We were provided with a fan heater to give a little extra warmth in the bedroom. I loved the interior it felt really special and had lots of character unlike other hotels we have stayed in. We paid for a meal in Hansard's Restaurant and were pleasantly surprised by the quality of food and the value for money. I would return as a full paying customer and recommend to friends.

Room Tip: We Stayed in a suite although lovely if I returned I would stay in a smaller room as we only really...
Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Natlescrat

Dear Natlescrat

Thank you for your lovely review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

This is an attractive castle in the countryside near Darlington. There is local clay pigeon shooting and the michelin star Raby Hunt restaurant is a short drive away and well worth a visit.

When booking my stay the staff on the booking line and at the hotel were a great help and really responded to my queries quickly and helped me secure the right room and the extras I was after.

The service was generally polite and non offensive, though not as polished as a top end hotel. We stayed in a large suite with a jacuzzi, which had a great first impression and provided a very comfortable space.

The main downsides were; we found some unidentifiable bits floating in the bath, which wasn't as clean it originally appeared and lots of very uncomfortable bites have appeared wherever bare skin met with the sofa that was in the room.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Dear Peter N

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review about our hotel. We pride ourselves on being a friendly, yet professional family run hotel so I am pleased you found this to be the case. We were unaware of any of the issues you have raised on tripadvisor, and we have had no similar issues since. We are a firm believer if you have any issues whatsoever in the hotel, please give us the opportunity to put things right rather than raising the issues after your stay.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

If some effort was made to improve the rooms, this could have been wonderful. Instead on enering suite 35 we were greated to a room that was very cold in terms of temperature and ambience; looking nothing like the pictures on the web site. The room as well as being cold was sparsely decorated and a bit shabby, not at all comfortable The four poster bed room was like a fly cemetery with a couple of dozen dead flies on the vast windowsill. The bathroom was a joke, with a suit dating from the 70's with a shower that offered a choice of scalding or freezing water.
For this being a historic building there was no available literature about the building anywhere visible, and staff knew very little.
on a positive note staff were friendly and the food and drinks were reasonably priced.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Rachel S, Owner at Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Dear nicbc

Thank you for your review. The pictures on the website have recently been taken so they are a true reflection of the room. A previous review entitled 'great castle, great staff, great grub!' stayed in a room very similar to the one you stayed in with exactly the same bathroom. Although in your opinion the bathroom looked as though it dated back to the 70's, the other reviewer described the bathroom as modern. Which comes down to the conclusion that everyones tastes are different. We have tried to design the rooms to not offend anyone, but also to make them comfortable with a touch of luxury. Also with the added benefit of knowing you are staying in a castle.

With regards to information about the castles history being available, we do have lots of literature at reception about the history of the building and I would be very happy to send you a copy. Please just email us your address and I can post it out to you. I am sorry that you didn't see these during your visit. On a more positive note I am pleased that you enjoyed the food and drinks on offer and found our staff to be friendly. I sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you again in the future, as we would certainly look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

On arriving had to wait a very long time to see anyone at reception. as in i had to try and go find someone. a young man came along as was really not very helpfull (no name tag) we went to the bar and yet again waited for an age to be served and i had to go find someone.. To be honest this isn't what you expect and having stayed here before so very upset.

Things just got worse.. we stayed in the west wing in room 10.... OMG i was so cross. the room was ok at best the information in the room needed up dating.. The bathroom come one guys this is not your standard.. it was dirty. the blinds and the grouting it was not nice the toilet paper oh please come on..... school paper is better. Now the really bug.

I went to check out and informed the lady on the desk ( yep i had to wait and age again) that the towel rail had fallen off and hit my ankle.. i was not impressed.. i was in fact blooming annoyed. she was so (i do not care) i just wanted to walk out.. my ankle bleeding..

Didn't bother with food.. with the wait that we had to have it was quicker to go to bed and get breakfast out.. such a shame as this is a place i loved and now it lacksw something mainly customer care.

one highlight was the young waiter that was leaving.. he made an effort..

After my last review of here will i return sorry i doubt i will..

Dear Terri_pat,

I am sincerely sorry that you have decided to put a poor review on trip advisor, seeing that you have my personal email address. We were never given any opportunity to rectify any problems you encountered, and having spoken to the receptionist who checked you out, she was certainly not aware that your ankle was bleeding, nor that you were unhappy with your stay. On your previous stays you were given an upgraded room, and although on this occasion you weren't we do have lots of happy customers who stay in room 10. I am sorry you didn't enjoy your stay, although I am pleased that you found our young waiter to be helpful.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Walworth
Redworth Hall Hotel
The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington
Lumley Castle Hotel
Lumley Castle Hotel
#5 of 18 in Durham

Been to Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!