“Was ok!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Walworth
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
“Was ok!”
Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

My husband booked us the night here for our wedding anniversary, on arrival I was very impressed with building and surroundings. We were an hour early for check in but the lady on reception let us check in early which was really helpful. The best part about the hotel was the staff very helpful and polite, bad point was the bed was awful I woke up next morning in agony and that is the only reason I wouldn't return. Breakfast was lovely and plenty of it.

• Stayed May 2013
Rachel S, Owner at Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you found all our staff to be helpful and polite, however I do take on board your comments about the mattress. We do have different types of beds available and I am sure if you stay with us again we would find one which is more suitable for you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Polish first
CATTERICK GARRISON
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Booked in for 5th May for wifes birthday, emailed before arrival explaining that it was her birthday and asked if possible to be upgraded which we were on arrival. (Thank you sabinda). Room was clean, tidy with 4 poster bed so no complaints. We both like walking so went exploring the local countryside then sat outside with drinks on our return. Went for dinner in the bar & wife had a 3 course meal & I had 2 courses which were hot, tasty and reasonably priced. My only complaint was the deep fried mushrooms I got with my steak which is one of my pet hates as a chef. Breakfast next day was very good and a good selection. Last year we went on the Orient Express so would take some beating but my wife loved it so all that mattered to me.

Room Tip: Room 17 is a good choice
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you decided to spend your wife's birthday at our hotel and that she enjoyed it so much. I will certainly pass on your comments to everyone involved who contributed in making your stay so special.
Lincolnshire
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I booked a room in the castle for my wife and I to celebrate her 40th birthday. Six years ago we considered Walworth castle as a wedding venue but eventually booked nearby Headlam hall. We have stayed at Headlam hall since and it has always been excellent. On this occasion Headlam hall was fully booked and so I decided to book the castle. As part of the booking I paid the extra to upgrade to a superior castle room.
After booking I read the reviews and noticed that the experience depended on which room you were booked into. The reviews stated to avoid room 34 and room 25. The reviews for room 25 stated that it was above the kitchen and so was noisy due to large fans below the room. They also noted an awkward bathroom with a toilet too close to the door and a full length window.
We were allocated room 21 (and so I was please that this was not room 25 or 34). The room itself was a strange shape (to be expected give the age of the building) and the furniture (Bed, bedside cabinets, and table) did not match. The room was clean, although it was directly above the kitchen with a rather large fan that could be heard. This also caused the floor and bed to vibrate (slightly). The bathroom was a unique shape (which again should be expected due to the age of the property) with the toilet right next to the door. This made it difficult to use. The lock for the bathroom door did not work properly, the sink was blocked and took a long time to drain, the shower door did not close properly, tiles were cracked, the shower basin was covered in mould, and there was a full length floor to ceiling window overlooking the road. This meant that you had to close the very large stained blind if you wanted to use the bathroom. This room seemed to be very similar to the reviews of room 25 and so I went to look for it. Room 25 was at the other end of the corridor and not above the kitchen, and so it would appear that room 21 was originally room 25 and they have now changed the room numbers.
We decided that we could make do with everything except for the noise from the kitchen fan. I went back to reception and asked for a different room because of the fan. The manager informed me that there were no more rooms available except for a four poster, and that he could do me a deal and upgrade me to this for an extra £80! I obviously declined. He assured me that the fans would be switched off at about 2130hrs (and to be fair to him they were). He failed to mention that after they switch them off you can hear the kitchen staff cleaning up pots a pans, and that the fan comes back on for breakfast at 0610hrs (there went our lie in!) and that you can smell the breakfast cooking!
The hotel seemed far from busy and we did not once see or hear any other guests in rooms in the castle. In the moring i notice that there were only half a dozen cars in the car park. I don’t believe the manager when he said that there were no other rooms available. Having read other reviews when people were unhappy they were also offered an upgrade to a four poster room at additional cost and so this would seem to be the norm instead of finding an alternative room for the guests.
When checking out from the hotel I was asked if we enjoyed our stay. I explained that we had not, mainly due to the noise from the kitchen fans. They asked me what room I was in and I informed them 21. They member of staff did not reply, processed my payment and said “have a nice day”. It seemed strange that they did not offer any comment to my dissatisfaction.
Ultimately the castle looks nice in the communal areas, the grounds are nice and there are a number of good reviews which indicates that the hotel is decent. However, I was not happy with our room, was not provided with a reasonable alternative, and will not be staying again. My advice to anyone thinking of staying here is to book in at nearby Headlam Hall, you won’t be disappointed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SAO123
Firstly I would like to say how sorry I am that you didn't enjoy your stay. Having read your review I can assure you that we have not swapped any room numbers and the reviews from previous customers are based entirely on their own opinion, although they may not always be factual. Although you are comparing our hotel to Headlam Hall, the rate you paid here was considerably less that the rates that Headlam Hall offers. We do have a variety of different rooms available and I sincerely hope you will give us another opportunity in the future.
UK
Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

After reading all about this hotel on here and its own web page we decided to go here for our wedding anniversary. We were using points so booked through the central reservations for Best Western, we were looking forward to spending four days in luxury. We arrived and were given our key, the girl on reception appeared to be a trainee as we got the feeling She didn't know what she was doing. Our room was in the main house and was ok apart from having to close the huge blind in the bathroom before using the loo! We went down for dinner only to discover only bar food on offer, the menu is the same in either bar or restaurant, we were not impressed. The following day was our anniversary so we asked would the restaurant be open on Friday evening to be told no, which is a contradiction of all the blurb that it is open 6.00-9.30pm every night. We ate elsewhere. We won't be going back!

• Stayed April 2013
Rachel S, Owner at Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay with us. With regards to the trainee on reception, we do have some newer members of staff who we are currently training. We source as many staff from the local area as we can and I hope that you can forgive us if service may have been a little slower than you expected. We do have one menu which is served throughout the hotel, but we have found that many of our customers prefer this. The service in both Hansards and The Farmers is exactly the same, and if we don't have many residents we just tend to open one to create more of an atmosphere. I am sorry that you have decided not to come back in the future but I sincerely hope that you will change your mind as we have taken your comments on board to improve the service we offer.
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Having purchased a night in this 16th century castle for my partners birthday, we stayed here on Valentines weekend. Our four poster suite wasnt ready on arrival so we went to the Farmers Bar for a drink, one of the staff gave us the evening 'Valentines' menu to look through. We loved the suite, a lovely comfy couch and huge tv in the living room with tea/coffee making facilities, the round bedroom (in one of the towers) with four poster bed was fab even though a little chilly, reception will provide a heater for you. The meal and service on the evening was excellent, fantastic three courses, very enjoyable, and also breakfast next morning was very good. All in all a lovely night stay in a lovely castle with friendly staff, what more can i say! We will definitely be going again very soon.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Rachel S, Owner at Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for your review about our hotel. I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate your business and it is always nice to get such lovely feedback. I will pass on your comments to all members of our team who helped in making your stay so special.
Nantwich
Reviewed April 16, 2013

It's not every day you get the chance to stay in a 16th century castle!

Rooms were clean, staff were sometimes hard to find but very friendly.

I think food was was ok (supplied by Brakes?) and good value for what we were paying. It's a pity they don't use the gorgeous passion fruit ice-cream made on a farm just up the road.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Rachel S, Owner at Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you for your review. Some parts of the castle actually date back to 1189 although other parts do date back to the 16th century. We source as much local produce as we possible can. The milk and dairy is organic and is from Acorn dairy which is just a couple of miles down the road. Our meat is from a local butcher at Gateshead and our fruit and veg from a supplier in Newton Aycliffe. Seafood from South Shields and eggs from Teesdale. We do use a national supplier for sundries although we think it is really important to source as much local produce as possible. Our menu does state the suppliers we use. There are also lots of produce we make in house. I hope this goes some way to convincing you that the meals we serve are even better value that you first though. We really appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.
Cleveland
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Spent a night at Walworth Castle in March.My wife and I were given the stay as a red letter day gift for Xmas.The hotel is out in the sticks and looks quite impressive as you enter the driveway.On arrival we were given a room in the castle itself and not the west wing as I am a Best Western card holder and was upgraded.Our room was ok,nothing fantastic but clean and with a big comfortable bed.Bathroom not so good.There was a plain glass window floor to ceiling overlooking a road at the side of the hotel so if you needed the loo you had to close a massive blind to avoid being seen.The toilet itself was too close to the door and very awkward to use.
We dined in the hotel restaurant which would have been ok if we were served the food we had ordered.My wife ordered a lamb dish and was given steak.The waitress was very apologetic when brought to her attention.Not wanting to make a fuss my wife was happy to have the steak.I ordered a bottle of wine to go with the meal which the waiter brought out and filled our glasses.Unfortunately my glass smelled awful and complained to the waiter.I was given another glass but not some more wine.
After eating we had a couple of drinks in the farmers bar then retired to our room.On returning there was a loud noise beneath us and when I looked out of the window found we were above the kitchens and there were two big fans humming away.Avoid room 25!!!
Breakfast was okay aside from a guy being allowed to walk around barefoot which was a bit off putting.Overall we did not enjoy our stay here.The hotel is small for a castle,lacks atmosphere,has no entertainment and in urgent need of repairs.

• Stayed March 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Walworth
Lumley Castle Hotel
Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club
#1 of 1 in Coatham Mundeville
Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel
The Morritt Country House Hotel

Been to Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!