“Rooms are really small and not upto standard”

Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Walworth
Hartlepool, England, United Kingdom
“Rooms are really small and not upto standard”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for 1 night 23 Feb 2013. We paid £97 for bed and breakfast staying in the west wing part of the hotel on first appearance we thought acceptable, small but clean. Once been in the room for a while we realised how badley thought out, no mirror was at the dressing table, the shower room was the smallest I've ever seen in a hotel , the toilet was behind the door and so was the shaver point ( not near a mirror) ,there was only a shower squashed in the corner and no room to move and no real door, which you had to leave open as it felt very claustrophobic. The bed was the worst I've ever slept on, very hard and uncomfortable mattress, we were in a very noisy corridor just next to the kitchens. No hot water on the morning had to have freezing cold shower. Positives for this hotel were the public areas are lovely and the restaurants are great. We had an evening meal which was beautiful and the breakfast was really good too. I just think it is very overpriced as we stay at many hotels and normally have lovely rooms and also swimming pool with gym facilities for the same price. Wouldn't stay again but would return for meals.

Room Tip: Book a suite
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Rachel S, Owner at Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thank you for your review. Being such an old building, many of our rooms are of different shapes and sizes. If you had raised your concerns during your stay we would have certainly tried to address any issues you had. However on a more positive note I am pleased that you enjoyed the food we served and we would certainly welcome you back to our hotel in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Polish first
Pontefract, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Individual character. fresh cooked breakfast better than buffet food, evening meal excellent Hotel with character not a designer hotel with no character Staff helpful, friendly and responsive.Excellent.will stay again

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We really appreciate your comments and look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I stayed in the castle on the 15th February, my partner and I decided to stay for an lovely belated valentines night. The staff were excellent and very friendly and even allowed us to take some pictures of us and the knights in reception :) We had the valentines meal and it was beautiful, the restraunt staff were very attentative and couldnt do more for us.
I booked the room on a special deal but was really pleased with the room as they put us in a four poster room which i wasnt expecting. It was wonderful!
It was also a special night for me that night, as my partner proposed to me, so this was a really memorable stay at a wonderful Castle and very romantic. We are even thinking of having our wedding there next year, even though we live some 20 miles away but it is definately worth the short ride for such an enchanted Castle. Thank you to everyone at the Castle, you made use feel special and thats what I call excellent service.

Room Tip: Definatley go for the four poster or an exclusive room, you wont be disappointed.
1 Thank angeline2206
Firstly I would like to congratulate you on your engagement. I will pass on your lovely comments to our team. If you would like to come and have a look around our hotel for your wedding reception, please let us know and we will be only too pleased to show you how we can make your day extra special.
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Great stay, only problem was you had to walk around hotel to fine someone to serve you at the bar.

Appart from that, another great stay.

We stayed in the suite in the caste. Check in and check out was great.

Helpful staff.

Lovelly evening meal.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that you found our staff to be helpful and the food to be good. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I stayed at the hotel on the 15th feb - 17th feb 2013 for valentines. My husband suprised me with this visit and i was overwhelmed!! We stayed in room 19 (Ayscough Suite) it was very clean spacious and very romantic. We had the three course valentine dinner in the restaurant and a full english breakfast each morning which was delicious. The staff were extremely polite and helpful. My husband also arranged for me to have a back massage and a facial in the beauty salon on site, again fabulous. Maria the beautician who did my treatment was a really pleasant polite young girl who was excellent at her job. I felt like a new woman when I left!!!! One of the members of staff in the hotel also kindly gave us a tour of the DUNGEONS which was one of the many historical features of the hotel. Yes some areas are old and worn but this is an extremely old castle and this is what makes it an amazing piece of our English Heritage. I would highly recommend this hotel without a doubt and will certainly love to stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you decided to spend Valentines Day with us and I will certainly pass on your comments to everyone who helped to make your stay so special.
County Durham
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed here for a family wedding and although the wedding was lovely the hotel room was not!

We stayed in a four poster room for which we were charged just over £170 for 1 night as we were told it was the only room big enough to put a camp bed in for our 4 year old, our 10 month old slept in our bed with us or we would have been charged extra for a cot as well.

Can't describe how disappointed were were with the room, it smelled foisty, there were stains on the carpets the wall paper was peeling and mouldy in the corners, bare pipes covered in cobwebs in the tatty old bathroom which looked like something from the 70's and when you flushed the toilet the plumbing made such a noise it woke the children up!

There weren't any toiletries on arrival so had to go to reception for some, the complimenary tea tray was very limited and when we complained the next morning we found the staff unhelpful, we were not the only ones to complain but I dont think they were bothered as we'd already paid up! Think they know they can get away with it as its rather remote so if you're here for a wedding you dont have any other choice really!

When we complained the next morning and listed the above problems including no toiletries to which the reply was, 'well you got some didn't you!' we were told the owner would be informed other the other problems and someone would be in touch. After a week we had no response so we phoned the hotel and they basically said no one had said they would get back to us and the problems had been addressed and that was that, no attempt at an apology.

The only good thing about Walworth was the breakfast the next morning which was fresh and had a good variety, other than that I cant think of anything good to say really!

Room Tip: choose the newer part of the hotels, our friends did and it was much better.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank gillymarley
I am not sure when you stayed at our hotel but we redecorated that particular room in November 2012. I am sincerely sorry if you didn't enjoy your stay and I can assure you that we treat customer care as a number 1 priority. Had I been made aware of your complaint I would have certainly responded to you directly. We are constantly redecorating our rooms and I hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2013

decided to try walworth castle for the carvery, driving up to the castle was amazing entrance was excellent, staff at reception was miserable!!!, went through to restaurant, ordered drinks at the bar, and bought tickets for carvery, staff at bar was average, the carvery looked small, our table was littered with left over dinners, a waiter came and removed these once we sat down, went to the carvery the meat was plentiful, no mash potatoes left? veg was ok flat yorkshire puddings? we ate and left, would we return.... no.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Rachel S, Owner at Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
We do appreciate all review left for our hotel, although if you would have let us know of your dissatisfaction at the time, we could have done something about it rather than going straight home and on trip advisor. Sundays is an extremely busy day for us and I am sure the staff on duty would have cleared the tables as quickly as possible. We source all our products locally, and make our Yorkshire puddings in house. I am sorry that you would not return and I sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Walworth
Lumley Castle Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,416 reviews
Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club
Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club
#1 of 1 in Coatham Mundeville

Been to Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!