Kupu Kupu Barong Villas and Tree Spa
Very Good 4/5
Villa Saraswati(Ubud)
Very Good 4/5
1,653 results
All reviewsayung river pool villabirds nestour honeymoonduplex villatwilight dinnerprivate poolriver frontla view restaurantbutler servicepersonal butlergolf cartevery hourspent nightsafternoon teariceamazing experiencean amazing view
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 7, 2014

We spent 3 nights at Kupu Kupu Barong. We really liked our stay. Staff was wery friendly and helpful. We had reserved a family villa and that was really nice and clean with our own pool. Especially twilight dinner at infinity pool was amazing;) I would go here again if visiting Ubud.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Just came back from 'The Birdsnest' dinner which was thoroughly fantastic. For a romantic dinner, it's just perfect. Food was great (lobster/prawns/soup all top) and enjoyed the cocktails too. But above all else, the service was just exceptional. One chap in particular who served us throughout called Dewa Boncu just went out of his way to help us with everything and suggested some alternatives on the menu to our requirements. And also Karsana who was very helpful with the booking on email and arranged a pickup from our villa 20 mins away. If management reads this, take note of how good these staff members are.

Would recommend going for the 6-8:30 seating as there's no view after dark, and it's nice for sunset.

Room Tip: Would recommend going for the 6-8:30 seating as there's no view after dark, and it's nice for sunset (Birdsnest)
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 25, 2014

We spent bit less than a week of our honeymoon at Kupu Kupu Barong. We had reserved an Ayung River Club Villa. The villa was bit old but very nice otherwise. The villa's plunge pool was nice but the patio/terrace was somewhat in need of repair or at least painting. The view from the villa down to the river, rice fields and the opposite side hill was very beautiful. The villa is best accessible with a hotel buggy ride (needs to be ordered by phone) due to it being located down the hill below the main complex (reception, spa, restaurant). The villa was otherwise clean but the roof of the bed had not been cleaned recently. Also due to the location of the villa, room service and arrival of the buggy required some waiting. The road to the villa was steep and technically possible to walk as well but I would not recommend it.

The staff was very friendly in the hotel and we did not experience any issues with any services we used. We also had a couple's massage in the Tree spa and it was a perfect experience. We dined in the hotel restaurant and the food was very good but naturally more expensive compared to Ubud center restaurants. The afternoon tea was nice as well.

Reaching Ubud center requires separate transportation due to the hotel being located outside Ubud center. Hotel has a complimentary minivan but if I remember correctly, the last ride back to the hotel left around 5pm from Ubud. In practice it's a good idea to utilize taxis since they don't cost much.

All in all I can recommend Kupu Kupu but with the same price you can easily indulge yourself in other Ubud luxury hotels (e.g. Komaneka's) closer to the center of Ubud.

Room Tip: Ayung River Club villa (with pool). Some might find the river below a bit noisy but we loved it.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
KKB_Management, Manager at Kupu Kupu Barong Villas and Tree Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Dear Kupu Kupu Barong Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding Kupu Kupu Barong Villas & Tree Spa. I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and honeymoon with us.

I thank you for having took the time to share your feedback ; it is going to help us to improve our quality of service for our clientele.

First, it is true that our villas can give the impression to look “old”, but this is because the Balinese style is all in wood. It implies that the wood is a living material, that can get very easily alternate with the sun and the rain. The treatment that we provide to our villas is the most natural existing one as it does not contain chemical products, in order to respect the nature and the environment.

Regarding the Roof, I can guarantee you that the overall team works hard to clean and maintain the Hotel at its best quality level. As you may know, during the rainy season, we encounter also more wind, that helps to make the leaves fall and get dirty common parts very quickly. I will make sure with my cleaning team to optimize the number of their routine in order to guarantee better general cleaning.

Finally, I understand your point when you explain the location of the Ayung River Villa. Actually, thanks to its location which is down, almost at the bottom of the valley, the Ayung villas offer the best view on the Ayung River and rice terrace. On the other hand, due to its exceptional location, this kind of villa present the “sacrifice” to be more far away from everything. The Hotel of course propose other accommodation, closer to the main complex (lobby, spa and restaurant), but with a view that is for sure not the same.

I would take pleasure in welcoming you back, so that you could experience hotel as it was meant to be. Please feel free to contact myself directly on kadek@kupubarong.com if you are traveling to Bali again so that I may personally take care of you and your next stay.

Once again please do accept my apologies and I do hope that the remainder of your trip to Bali was most enjoyable.

Kadek M
Resort Manager

Reviewed January 24, 2014

We had a nice stay at the Kupu Kupy Barong. The pool was really nice and uncrowded. Be careful if you try to book anything through the hotel (including your hotel room). Our "butler" tried to overcharge us by a huge amount for a simple walk near Ubud. They also tried to charge us triple for a rafting trip. Book your trips (rafing, hiking, biking) through Sobek - save money and be safe.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Kupu Kupu Barong Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding Kupu Kupu Barong Villas & Tree Spa. I am so sorry that you got a bad feeling about the price proposed for the Trekking and for the rafting trip. Regarding the Trekking, we propose this service for a 3Hours Trek with a private guide per couple making you discovering the Ayung rice fields and surroundings. I can guarantee you that the service that we propose reflects the standards of the Hotel and is absolutely made in function of each guest and personalized, which justifies the price applied. Compared to cheaper tour organizations, as our service is very unique and private, that could explain why you though that the Hotel wanted to overcharge you.

For the Rafting Trip, we unfortunately do not decide about the prices that the Rafting company communicates us. They apparently organized a promotion from their side without letting us know ; of course we would have applied it also if we have knew about it.

Kadek M
Resort Manager

Reviewed January 23, 2014

Wow. Just, wow. You really feel like you're looking right out into the Jungle (because you are). The rooms look out over a huge area. A river cuts through the jungle below. Very 'in nature' feel even when you're inside - the villa walls are floor to ceiling glass so you can see the view from everywhere.

We wanted to stay in the Jungle and go big on a 1-2 night hotel stay, then stay somewhere a bit more average around the beach. This place was perfect for what we wanted! We didn't go anywhere outside of the hotel during the short stay and that was fine. It was relaxing.

The rooms are huge and exquisite with jacuzzi tub inside and private pool outside. It was too cold to enjoy the pool at night because it was not heated, but it was refreshing during the day. A private butler was assigned to us to help get fresh water, or make reservations and such. Everything was delightful.

This is not a place for kids. I'm cool with kids. It was totally appropriate in many of the places that we stayed. But when we sat down to have a nice dinner at the Kupu Kupu, there was a couple with a crying child and a loud video game player. When you're paying that much for a getaway or honeymoon, that kind of noise kills the mood. Perhaps bring a sitter along or stay somewhere more family oriented?

Room Tip: Really loved our room. Some rooms appeared to be more private than others. For example, from our outdoor area, we looked down on another villa's private pool. I didn't expect that. Also, the walks down to each villa are steep. Someone with knee problems or other injuries might have been challenged. However, they offer golf cart pick-up service to each room. So, you don't have to walk up and down regularly if you have any problems.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple