“relaxing sojourn”
Review of Amandari

Amandari
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Kedewatan
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Time to unwind. We had an infinity pool viila. The pool is large enough for exercise. it isn't heated but one gets accustomed to the temperature. The view is breathtaking overlooking the luscious vegetation in the valley. We spent most of our time on the internet or reading.
We did walk into town (almost to Ubud) one day, and another we had them drive us into town (not Ubud) to eat at a local "warung". The meal was scrumptious & only $10.00! We didn't care about the $ it was the culture that was fun. We ate in our room another night. Food is very good.
Service is excellent everywhere. You are King & queen.
I had a massage, & it was the best massage I have ever had...she knew what she was doing.
There are lots of activities if you are so inclined, but remember this is not carnival cruises & that is the beauty of this retreat.
Oh, you won't go hungry. there is always a huge basket of fruit in the room, a jar of cookies & a jar of interesting crisp crackers I couldn't keep my hands off. This is a Muslim country so it is not surprising spirits do not abound. Byob. No problem. They were overwhelming kind enough to present us with a demi bottle of champagne.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 2travel4fun007
There are newer reviews for Amandari

Reviewed August 22, 2012

So… In case you are wondering which one of the 3 Aman hotels in Bali is the right one for you, follow my lead, we just tried them all…

I will post this same review in all three of them as this review will be a comparison between them…
Note, that we took a pool suite in all three of them, and that obviously they have common grounds on several issues:
All three are very well maintained, absolutely not dated, have great staff, and will blow your mind! You will always feel alone for all 3 properties are gigantic with so very few rooms… we saw hollywod stars at the Amankila that could not be less bothered… awesome tranquility!

Food: All similar, all pretty good, the Amandari (ubud) maybe has more variety…
#1 Amandari
#2 Amankila & Amanusa

Private pools:
Of all three, the Amandari was the most amazing one, the pool overflow is splendid! The pool at the Amankila was deceiving because of the lack of view..well… no view at all, and is set along a wall so nothing exciting there… The pool at the Amanusa was also nice, and big, and the water is much hotter than in the other ones (ok it is more in the south) and that makes it really nice to dip in…
#1 Amandari for the looks
# 1 Amanusa for the temperature (the pools in Amandari and Amankila are really chilly… and it was August)

Bedroom:
Well, they are reshaping the golf course, so the view at Amanusa was desolated and it will stay that way for about a year… No view from our pool suite at the Amankila… Superb from the Amandari… The size is almost the same in all three of them. They are pretty big!
#1 Amandari
#2 Amanusa
#3 Amankila

Feeling:
I must say that we felt really good at the Amankila… the beach is fantastic, it is over staffed, the view from the main pool is a killer, and it is very serene…I loved it!
#1 Amankila
#2 Amandari # Amanusa

For Children/Beaches :
Well… certainly not Amandari that is more suited for couples. The main pool is a small one, and the general feel is more of a romantic one. I would say Amanusa but… the problem is the beach. See, when the Amanusa will drop you at their beach, you will see it clean, nice sand, not crowded at all… you name it! But walk a few meters further and you will see trash… a lot of trash… we also saw what appeared to be like animal guts on the beach…yuk! You are in the south, it is very touristic out there… and very dirty! After what we say, we chose to stick to the pool! In the East however, at the Amankila, the beach is beautiful, and it is great to play in the waves. It has fantastic powdery black sand…
#1 Amankila
#2 Amanusa
#3 Amandari

Area:
I’ll make this one simple. We did not like the South of Bali, we loved Ubud, and also Loved the East… maybe the East is where we preferred… but Ubud is also great…
#1 Amankil & Amandari
#3 Amanusa

Hotel Pool
The Amandari pool is very small. The Amankila 3 Pool is fantastic for the view. Our favorite is the Amanusa pool…Enormous, great temperature…lovely!
#1 Amanusa
#2 Amankila
#3 Amandari

Conclusion:
We traveled with our 2 little girls aged 7 & 9, and we’ve had a great stay in all of those Hotels. We had lots of fun around the Amandari and the Amankila. The Amanusa is most suited if you are a golf player or if you are looking for more touristic surroundings. I recommend you to stay at all three destinations, it was a fantastic choice to do so. If I had to take out 1 night at one of these Hotels it would probably be at the Amanusa because of the location (we did not like the South of Bali as much as the rest) and the sea (not clean).

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
15  Thank toy B
Reviewed August 18, 2012

I have no reservation recommending the Amandari for your visit to Ubud. We had the misfortune to have a very sick child and had to cut our visit regrettably short. When you arrive (finally - be prepared because it can take forever to get to Ubud from the airport or Nusa Dua) you will be swept away to another time in Bali. In sharp contrast to Kuta, Legian, Seminyak and Nusa Dua, Amandari feels like you are stepping back into an authentic Balinese village. The views of the rice patty terraces and the valley below are breathtaking. The property itself was designed to become a Balinese village of yesteryear and has an incredible appearance of being aged. This is a resort that centers on traditional Balinese hospitality and you feel it every moment from the staff calling you Ibu or Popak and greeting you like you are family. We stayed in a pool villa and it was lovely. Remember though there are no tv's and it is raw nautral Bali beauty from the spiders the size of my hand to the necessary mosquito coils at night. I will confess to not being the most adventurous of travellers and I did fear any kind of encounter with a snake - I was assured or rather not assured that they do their best to keep the snakes away however it is located in the beautiful Ubud mountains and it is possible to get up close and personal with the Balinese wildlife.
With our son being very sick (he contracted a tropical flu on the island of Rote) we cut our visit short to head home. They were incredibly gracious and kind in looking after our every need while we were there and the GM himself made a point of calling our villa and speaking directly to our son and finding us at breakfast to offer services from a doctor to glucose to plane reservation assistance. Amazing and comforting. I know if we had stayed we would have experienced the intense beauty of this side of Bali and the amazing hospitality of the Balinese. Do not hesitate to experience Amandari. You will not regret it!!!!

Room Tip: We very much enjoyed the pool villa - there were two daybeds downstairs the children were quite comf...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank sbmom2
Reviewed August 16, 2012

The Amandari, at face value, would seem like any nice resort. I agree that there may be other nicer and more reasonably priced accommodations in the area.

But what my family and I really appreciated was the service from our Guest Assistant Dewi as well as the sincere and warm care from the GM himself. It's rare for us to visit properties (and we do travel for a living!) where the GM personally meets the guests and shows genuine concern even for the littlest guests. It was the sincerity at Amandari that struck us. And we did try other Amans during this trip.

Also, the rice paddy tour was relaxing, well planned and our guide Wenten was sincere.

There is also a lot of cultural information in the room if you are interested (which we were!) and it just deepened our appreciation for what we see around us in Bali without being so preachy or in our face or seeming like a tourist show.

The highlight of the whole Bali trip for our 3 year old was learning to dance the Balinese dance with the children from Amandari's village.

Our stay was too short as we were on the Bali Break package and I wanted to try out the 3 properties to see which one we liked and how they were difference from each other. If I were to stay in one again and where I wished I booked the rest of the nights, I would be Amandari.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank globalfoody
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I would consider myself a seasoned traveler. I’ve traveled to over 37 countries covering all types of lodging from campgrounds to 5 star resorts. With the wide scope of traveling I’ve done I try to write truthful and unbiased reviews, taking into consideration location, quality, value and the overall experience.

From May 18th to May 24th, 2012 my family and I stayed at the Amandari Resort in Kedewatan, Bali. This was our first time to Bali and for our vacation we were looking for a nice place to stay that was “in touch” with the people of Bali. We had a suite overlooking the rice paddies and the quality of the room was excellent, simple and easy going. Not listed on the website is a hiking path through a jungle down to a river, I highly recommend taking this walk at least once during your visit. I also recommend asking the staff for advice as they were very informative and eager to help. The service was amazing and the food can be considered the best you will find anywhere. The chef, who was half Mexican and half German, prepared every dish and they were all delicious. In fact, we couldn't understand how the croissants could be so flakey in a climate like Bali. When I asked the chef how he did it, he explained that they hand rolled the dough and cooked them in a climate controlled room. Awesome! There is one restaurant on the premises and the prices for food and drinks are high.
Our first night was perfect. On our second night (Saturday) there happened to be an outdoor wedding (bride and groom stayed at the resort) which was across from the rice fields. As the night went on the music got louder and louder and at midnight there was a huge fireworks show that woke everyone up. At 2:00 AM I broke down and called the front desk and complained of the music, they said they would do their best. The next morning we were greeted by the manager who apologized profusely and offered to give us a "feast" on the house. On our last night they gave us a dinner and private dance that was amazing.

The amenities were excellent; there was a beautiful infinity pool and views of the valley which made for a great place to relax. They also offered complimentary coconut drinks everyday at the pool and they were very tasty. Our room had an excellent bed and two lounging beds that made for a great place to read and nap. Each morning they brought a fresh basket of fruit and water, which was a nice touch. There was also a TV and Ipad playing station that had a wide variety of music to choose from. The bathrooms, linens and housekeeping were top notch.

Our stay at the Amandari was something I will never forget and we plan on staying at this resort again if we ever return.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank 40Countrys
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We spent 3 nights at the Amandari Ubud and were very disappointed by the fact it was not worth the money we paid. The property is very well located and maintained. The villas are spacious. We had a swimming pool villa. They are duplex, the bedroom is on the first floor. We had activities included in our package. The bicycle activities are very good. The guides are very knowledgeable and the they bring you to remote paddy fields and villages. Worth trying if you like exercise. The spa is alo good. Good gym as well. All this does not account for the price paid. The food is quite disappointing. The villa dining is not what it says. They just bring the food from the restaurant and serve it to you in your villa. In other places in Ubud, they will cook in your villa premise. Much better. So all in all, happy with the activities but too much money for a basic service. No Woah factor there.

Room Tip: Swimming Pool villa
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank HongkongInvictus
Reviewed July 11, 2012

I must say, before arriving at Amandari in Ubud we were so excited and had very high expectations. Boy were we disappointed! This is one of the most expensive resorts we have every stayed at, spending almost 2 grand a night on our villa, and we found it extremely outdated and over priced. As well as boring..... There was literally nothing to do at the resort, no tv in the villas, only one restaurant on the property...and when I say outdated, I mean the rooms and bathrooms are old....very old! They have no business charging so much money for these old villas, our pool looked like it had been built 20 years ago. The service was very good, but at these types of properties the service is always great, if we visit Bali again we will return to the St. Regis- which was amazing! And then stay at the Four Seasons in Ubud instead of Amandari.....

Room Tip: Reserve the cheapest room, if you insist on staying at the Amandari, as they will always upgrade you...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LilAlex
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kedewatan
Viceroy Bali
Kamandalu Ubud
#42 of 199 in Ubud
Mandapa, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve
Four Seasons Resort Bali at Sayan

Been to Amandari? Share your experiences!