“The culture aspect made a difference”
Review of Amandari

Amandari
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Kedewatan
Reviewed August 16, 2012

The Amandari, at face value, would seem like any nice resort. I agree that there may be other nicer and more reasonably priced accommodations in the area.

But what my family and I really appreciated was the service from our Guest Assistant Dewi as well as the sincere and warm care from the GM himself. It's rare for us to visit properties (and we do travel for a living!) where the GM personally meets the guests and shows genuine concern even for the littlest guests. It was the sincerity at Amandari that struck us. And we did try other Amans during this trip.

Also, the rice paddy tour was relaxing, well planned and our guide Wenten was sincere.

There is also a lot of cultural information in the room if you are interested (which we were!) and it just deepened our appreciation for what we see around us in Bali without being so preachy or in our face or seeming like a tourist show.

The highlight of the whole Bali trip for our 3 year old was learning to dance the Balinese dance with the children from Amandari's village.

Our stay was too short as we were on the Bali Break package and I wanted to try out the 3 properties to see which one we liked and how they were difference from each other. If I were to stay in one again and where I wished I booked the rest of the nights, I would be Amandari.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank globalfoody

Reviewed August 7, 2012

I would consider myself a seasoned traveler. I’ve traveled to over 37 countries covering all types of lodging from campgrounds to 5 star resorts. With the wide scope of traveling I’ve done I try to write truthful and unbiased reviews, taking into consideration location, quality, value and the overall experience.

From May 18th to May 24th, 2012 my family and I stayed at the Amandari Resort in Kedewatan, Bali. This was our first time to Bali and for our vacation we were looking for a nice place to stay that was “in touch” with the people of Bali. We had a suite overlooking the rice paddies and the quality of the room was excellent, simple and easy going. Not listed on the website is a hiking path through a jungle down to a river, I highly recommend taking this walk at least once during your visit. I also recommend asking the staff for advice as they were very informative and eager to help. The service was amazing and the food can be considered the best you will find anywhere. The chef, who was half Mexican and half German, prepared every dish and they were all delicious. In fact, we couldn't understand how the croissants could be so flakey in a climate like Bali. When I asked the chef how he did it, he explained that they hand rolled the dough and cooked them in a climate controlled room. Awesome! There is one restaurant on the premises and the prices for food and drinks are high.
Our first night was perfect. On our second night (Saturday) there happened to be an outdoor wedding (bride and groom stayed at the resort) which was across from the rice fields. As the night went on the music got louder and louder and at midnight there was a huge fireworks show that woke everyone up. At 2:00 AM I broke down and called the front desk and complained of the music, they said they would do their best. The next morning we were greeted by the manager who apologized profusely and offered to give us a "feast" on the house. On our last night they gave us a dinner and private dance that was amazing.

The amenities were excellent; there was a beautiful infinity pool and views of the valley which made for a great place to relax. They also offered complimentary coconut drinks everyday at the pool and they were very tasty. Our room had an excellent bed and two lounging beds that made for a great place to read and nap. Each morning they brought a fresh basket of fruit and water, which was a nice touch. There was also a TV and Ipad playing station that had a wide variety of music to choose from. The bathrooms, linens and housekeeping were top notch.

Our stay at the Amandari was something I will never forget and we plan on staying at this resort again if we ever return.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank 40Countrys
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We spent 3 nights at the Amandari Ubud and were very disappointed by the fact it was not worth the money we paid. The property is very well located and maintained. The villas are spacious. We had a swimming pool villa. They are duplex, the bedroom is on the first floor. We had activities included in our package. The bicycle activities are very good. The guides are very knowledgeable and the they bring you to remote paddy fields and villages. Worth trying if you like exercise. The spa is alo good. Good gym as well. All this does not account for the price paid. The food is quite disappointing. The villa dining is not what it says. They just bring the food from the restaurant and serve it to you in your villa. In other places in Ubud, they will cook in your villa premise. Much better. So all in all, happy with the activities but too much money for a basic service. No Woah factor there.

Room Tip: Swimming Pool villa
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank HongkongInvictus
Reviewed July 11, 2012

I must say, before arriving at Amandari in Ubud we were so excited and had very high expectations. Boy were we disappointed! This is one of the most expensive resorts we have every stayed at, spending almost 2 grand a night on our villa, and we found it extremely outdated and over priced. As well as boring..... There was literally nothing to do at the resort, no tv in the villas, only one restaurant on the property...and when I say outdated, I mean the rooms and bathrooms are old....very old! They have no business charging so much money for these old villas, our pool looked like it had been built 20 years ago. The service was very good, but at these types of properties the service is always great, if we visit Bali again we will return to the St. Regis- which was amazing! And then stay at the Four Seasons in Ubud instead of Amandari.....

Room Tip: Reserve the cheapest room, if you insist on staying at the Amandari, as they will always upgrade you...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LilAlex
Reviewed June 13, 2012

We stayed at Amandari's sister resort Amankila and decided to do a day trip to Ubud as we had not been there for about 14 years. Ubud has definately changed during that time - chaotic, noisy,busy+++. Thankfully the lovely people at Amankila had organised for us to have lunch at Amandari. What a gorgeous place. The view was spectacular and the people at the resort were so welcoming. We had a fabulous lunch and were pampered all the way. I immediately felt relaxation ooze from every pore as we entered the peaceful, tranquil surrounds of Amandari. We love Amankila for the beach and views but I can fully understand the fantastic reviews his resort receives. Dfinately on my wish list.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 10, 2012

The visuals, service, color scheme, food and beautiful room (we were towards the south in a pool villa), make this one of our favorite hotels.  Pickup at Denpasar airport was flawless - staff wear white uniforms - easy to spot though they spotted us first.  A 1.5 hour drive up to ubud in a comfortable private van.  Check in took place in our room next to the plentiful fruit basket at one of the center tables - replenished daily.  Then the rest is up to you.

We had  complimentary van service to downtown Ubud both for dinner and shopping.  We scheduled an early morning trek to the Agung River followed by breakfast but were rained out which is unusual this time of year - did the massage instead.  We also took advantage of complimentary afternoon tea overlooking the infinity pool.  Yoga was just too early.

The room is large - sitting area, desk, paper panelled doors behind the bed and on to the pool area which is part of  a large balcony and a separate seating area overseeing rice paddies.  The bathroom is large with his and her areas and closet space, separate showers and outside bathtub, toiletries of the highest caliber and a complimentary  sarong for visits to the temples; a trip that can be arranged for an additional cost.

Breakfast is extra, dinner was excellent, drivers are patient (I left my gold earrings at a shop where I tried on and purchased silver earrings.)  The driver  took us back and helped us find the shop and my earrings.

During the first visit we used the hotel mainly as a base.  This time we enjoyed every single  minute and each one of our senses was treated to an array of surprises and treats.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 8, 2012

last week I went for dinner to Amandari invite by friend of mine.Amandari was amazing:every full moon they have dance prefomance by kids from Kedewatan village,afterward dinner in the restourant,3 people playing gamelan rindik(balinese music from bamboo),I feel I was somewhere :-D,event I live in the same area with Amandari,but it was my first time there.
The food was"two thumps up:speacially for chocolate mousse and also chicken breast".guarantee you will not be disappointed to have dinner there,please take your partner,the place so romantic :-))

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kedewatan
Kupu Kupu Barong Villas and Tree Spa
#2 of 6 in Kedewatan
Mandapa, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve
Four Seasons Resort Bali at Sayan
The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel

Been to Amandari? Share your experiences!