“Quirky Pub & B&B”
Review of The Dove Inn

Ranked #1 of 2 Micheldever B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 10, 2012

The pub itself was lovely, set in a very picturesque Hampshire village.
The food was fantastic - the coffee cheese cake was epic and the breakfast of smoked salmon and scrambled egg was lovely. The rooms was quite large, very comfortable, and en-suite.

A couple of niggles though - firstly the room was freezing when we checked in - no one had thought to turn the radiators on. Secondly, and quite a major gripe this, someone came in to our room around 4am! Luckily we're light sleepers and asked them to leave which they did, whilst drunkenly murmuring their apologies.

How on earth did they get the same room keys as us? Very odd. Mentioned this when checking out (to the chef) who obviously was non the wiser!

But, aside from nocturnal room intrusions, this was actually a nice pub.

Room Tip: Make sure you clarify who else has keys!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mark L

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Stayed for one evening in this country B&B and was very impressed, a nice varied menu better than seen in many more well known gastro pubs. We had the Venison Burger with Blue cheese which was cooked to just the right level. Accomodation was clean and modern in a lovely building full of original features. Very highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank 10ymg10
Reviewed August 12, 2012

2 cokes, Nachos starter, lasagne and chilli con carne= £26
Positives:
- A nice pub with a lovely place to sit outside
- Varied menu
- Helpful friendly staff

Negatives:
- Chilli was quite dry
- Garlic bread was too hard to bite
- We found a hair in both the starter and the chilli.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I enjoyed a very welcoming stay at The Dove, my room was very comfortable - a much higher standard than other B&Bs I have used. The food was excellent, extensive menu and very reasonably priced, the staff were very friendly too. I fully recommend a stay at The Dove or just a visit to enjoy the great food.
Thanks, see you again soon!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank nick s
Reviewed June 18, 2012

My family and I ate here on Friday night as my Uncle was staying here for the weekend.
I can't comment on the room as I wasn't staying myself, but I can certainly say that this pub does a cracking lasagne and my Mum is still raving about her Thai fish and chips which really looked lovely when it arrived.

Service is impeccable, friendly and swift, delivered with excellent humour.

This Inn is right next door to Micheldever train station, so it's in an excellent location for travelling down to Portsmouth or up to Waterloo.

If I didn't live so close to this place, I'd probably stay here myself. I will have no hesitation in recommending to anyone wanting to visit this beautiful part of the world.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 10, 2012

As my title says this is far more a restaurant than a B&B. It was a surprising gem. You struggle to know it's anything other than a very large house. It is poorly signed and it appears to be very poorly advertised for somewhere that probably picks up no passing trade..

However, those that find are rewarded by an excellent menu and very high quality, imaginative food. It is basically standard pub fare with a twist prepared by a enterprising young chef. A classic example is the de-constructed Beef & Ale pie. Each part is separate including a shot of Guinness. Very clever, very effective and excellent.

My understanding is that the chef has just got them an AA rosette. This should mean more people get to experience the place although it might mean I have to book further in advance.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Stayed at the Dove for two nights. Very comfortable room. Fantastic breakfast - quite one of the best I have had in this type of hotel. A useful location - lovely walks in the countryside around and handy for trains. Staff were welcoming, helpful and friendly. I would recommend it without hesitation.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo

Been to The Dove Inn? Share your experiences!