“Fantastic Food Spoilt by Appalling Service”

The Swan at Whittington
Reserve with OpenTable
The Swan at Whittington is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: European
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: The Swan at Whittington near Worcester is locally known as 'The Pub with Food' due to the exciting & varied menus. The dishes have a modern British influence with a feel good factor that's guaranteed to delight the diner so you are assured of a comfortable and fresh dining experience.
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Over the years I have enjoyed many a meal at The Swan, the food has always been great, the ambience good and the staff attentive. So I was looking forward to the booking I had made for my sons birthday. However, I was disappointed within minutes of arrival when we had to wait some time to be shown to a table - even though we'd booked. We were then shown to a table in the conservatory which was full of a large party making speeches and us! We couldn't talk over the noise of 'here heres' and felt we were intruding.
We asked to move - after twenty minutes of searching for a waitress - and then had a much better table. We waited some time to be served and had a long wait for our food. However, when it did arrive it was very good.
The prices here are on the high side, but the quality of the food is usually high too. So no complaints there, but we did feel on a bit of a downer given the lack of anything like good service. It did seem that they were very short staffed.
Thinking this was just a bad night I returned the next day for lunch with my daughter. Sadly, again we had a wait before we could find any staff so that we could ask for a table. This is NOT good service people - at least have a desk where customers can wait. We had to ask at the very busy bar. Once we were seated we asked the waitress to take our order only to be told that we needed to order at the bar. Really.....at these prices and the bar so busy? Back to the bar for another twenty minute wait then.
When we had finally ordered and it arrived, the food again was good, although not as good as in the past I have to say. However, when I went to find someone to settle the bill I was charged an extortionate amount and immediately queried the bill as it was around five times higher than I had anticipated. The server read off a long list of food orders and when I said that we had only had a sandwich and a serving of pate she asked me if I was sure! I may not have the best memory in the world but I can remember if I have eaten one dish or three for lunch!! Eventually she worked out that she had charged me for the previous table's lunch as well as my own and I had a wait whilst this was sorted.
All in all, the service is so poor that it makes for a bad experience despite the high quality of the food. Such a shame!

Reviewed November 8, 2013

I hadn't been here for over 20 years. It is far to say the pub has aged better than I have. It was very busy but the staff were friendly and helpful and found us a table. The ploughman's was great, lots of food and good value for £8

Reviewed October 21, 2013

The Swan had been recommended to us previously. After a long day out we were ready for a good meal.Carpark looked fairly full when we arrived at 8pm. Surprisingly there was plenty of room in the restaurant. Friendly staff who were attentive. Food was excellent. We had a fish pie which was absolutely full of white fish, salmon, prawns and crayfishtails. The best fish pie I have ever eaten away from home!
Nice beer too!

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Situated 2 minutes off the Worcester South exit of the M5. Our friends have always spoken highly of the Swan but for some reason we have never visited. Today (Thursday lunch time) we did. The pub is large and was well over half full (and a waitress commented that they weren't very busy!) ... so they must be doing something right. The decor is very stylish and comfortable. The clever arrangement of rooms and wood/glass partitions made it surprisingly quiet, allowing businessmen to easily hold discussions. The lunchtime menu is very clever (e.g. a design yourself a ploughmans with three items from a long list for £8). Both our lunches were very good indeed with excellent ingredients well cooked. Service was friendly and fast. Not difficult to see why it has a good reputation and is busy.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

I had previously been to the swan and it had been ok. We decided to return because of its convenience just off the motorway. We stopped off, were served quickly and awaited our meal. My husband ordered ham, egg and chips, and they arrived and were nice. I ordered a prawn pasta dish. I had eaten about 1/5 when I noticed a prawn with its guts, literally hanging out...and so, feeling sick...I checked the rest. All had NOT been deveined. I had literally been eating their poo. I felt sick. I went to the bar with my dish and the confused looking bar man took my plate (after I'd explained what happened) but did not apologise....I ordered a starter (feeling sick I did not feel very hungry anymore) and received no apology. NOBODY was concerned or bothered. I felt really quite upset and angry by this point. Someone cleared my starter plate and asked how I'd enjoyed my meal. I explained and this was the first she'd heard of this?! The manager should be ashamed as I left this establishment feeling sick and the staff were inept and management absent. Terrible chef too. An entire king prawn dish with their intestines in, and no apology?? Had I had an apology I might feel slightly less anger but they showed they clearly couldn't have cared less.

1  Thank Juiciefruit