“Perfect weekend getaway”

Caves Beachside Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Caves Beach B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband & I stayed in the spa beach suite for a weekend getaway and my belated birthday celebration. It was perfect and I wish we stayed longer. It's only 1.5hr drive from North Sydney. The room was very clean and got everything we needed for a good overnight stay.

Mini bar, wine & continental breakfast (toasts, cereals, yogurt) all included.

The open plan worked out perfectly for us. We could watch TV while soaking in the spa bath and enjoying a glass of wine & the complementary peanut, chips and cookies. I really love the monsoon shower head, I felt like I was dancing in the rain (warm water rain).

We brought our favourite foaming bath cream, the property unfortunately didn't provide one.

The room was toasty warm and it's all thanks to the gas log fire.

The king bed was twin beds pushed together, but we still had a very nice & comfortable sleep, so it didn't really bother us.

Can't wait to plan another weekend getaway to this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank viaticus

Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for one night in an ocean suite (one of four). The place is a bit of a hidden gem and was literally a breath of fresh air after a less than satisfactory start to our holiday at 2 other establishments.

The suite itself was absolutely immaculate, the cleanest place we have ever stayed. There is a large flat screen tv with stacked stone wall feature, hidden kitchenette with continental breakfast supplies and mini bar included in the tarrif, reverse cycle aircon, huge soaker bath, double vanities and the biggest monsoon shower head you will ever come across. The design is ultra modern and complete open plan. There are no doors on the toilet or shower which probably wouldn't suit new couples or couples that value privacy. Make sure you familiarise yourself with the design of the suites on the website first.

We stayed in ocean suite 12 which had a private balcony. You can see the ocean from the bed without anyone else being able to see in (unfortunately the same can't be said for the caves/spa suites except the two at the end, 17 and 18). There is also shrubbery for privacy from beach goers starting from suite 11 - 18. The design of the access boardwalk is quite odd and to get to your suite, you walk directly in front of other people's balconies except the ocean suites that have their balconies over the lagoon so people must walk behind the suite. In my opinion, suite number 12 and onwards are the pick of the bunch for privacy as they are at the northern end furthest away from the bistro, away from the small beach car park and have the least people walking past. A couple of other small issues were the noise of people walking on and rolling baggage on the boardwalk and not having a solid barrier between the direct neighbouring suite (they had fixed slats).

A couple other reviewers mentioned the rules of the complex such as no kids, no noise, no congregating etc. The suite part of the complex is designed for couples wanting peace and quiet. There are options further back in the complex for groups and families. You certainly wouldn't want kids even visiting the suites as the deep lagoon is not fenced off at all.

Service is very friendly and efficient. We will definitely be back and will ask for ocean suite 16 or spa suite 17 or 18. For $200 - 240 we felt the suites offered exceptional value compared to other places in and $100 above that price range.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank ets610
Reviewed May 25, 2013

We went for lunch, It was busy but nowhere near full. 20mins to line up to order and another 50 to get the food. The children were besides themselves by then. Food was awful, I couldn't eat it. I had the chicken burger - worst Ive had. Kids meals had soggy chips they wouldn't touch despite their hunger. I had visitors from Adelaide with me, I was so embarrassed.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Nicklovesherfood
Reviewed April 27, 2013

The write up says the rooms have been refurbished, but screwing a painting to the wall isn't going to cut it. They are dated with mouldy tiles and ceiling in the bathroom. The rooms are serviced everyday but really, I'm not staying in them again. However, I think the other accommodation would be gorgeous but pricey. The bistro was really nice with lovely staff.

Room Tip: Don't book the motel style accommodation unless you are desperate. Try the resort accommodation...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Leonie B
Reviewed April 13, 2013

These rooms are really lovely. Big deep bath, ours didn't have jets but we didn't care at all. The shower is lovely too, really big with lots of soft water falling. The beach is a short walk only. Take beach towels or ask for some if you like to swim. I think this is a great place for a short get away from it all weekend with your partner. It's very peaceful and quiet here, no passing cars around you.

Room Tip: The Ocean rooms are the most private.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed here over the Easter long weekend.
It's a really nice place to stay - No kids.
But there are rules. Each rule is a $360 fine.
- No Kids
- No congregating outside
- No large eskies in the room
- No more the 2 people in the room per night.
Instead of enjoying time with friends and having fun. You always have the rules. When you are all next to each other, instead of sitting outside the rooms you have to go up to the bar to talk.
The food at the bistro is not very good - chicken schnitzel, chicken burger and bruschetta wasn't very nice. The burger bread was terrible. And breakfast starts at 9am.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jess1984_12
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I should say I'm reviewing the Bistro only, I'm visiting my family in the area and went for a midweek lunch. Firstly the location is great - very pleasant, and the ambience/feel of the place is lovely (although it is a bistro, and has a very well located children's play area - away from the main dining area - which is great). Lunch, not so great. I had 2 starters, oysters kilpatrick (which can't go too wrong - these were OK) and calamari with aioli/rocket which was oily and over cooked, with not much if any seasoning. The family had risotto which was average and had no taste (it's like it hadn't been made with stock!), and a burger which just looked bad and fell apart (one of those soft not so great quality buns..). Selection of drinks was pretty good, condiments you had to ask for but were not pre packaged so that's nice. It as all very well served, friendly and quick, but the bistro was empty (mid week lunch). I'd go back for drinks - and maybe oysters or chips as a snack - after the beach. Wouldn't make a special trip. It's a shame, it's what Caves Beach needed, just needs a better kitchen!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Raffertys Resort
#1 of 1 in Cams Wharf
Black Swan Waterfront Motel
Pullman Magenta Shores Resort

Been to Caves Beachside Hotel? Share your experiences!