“Service really let us down this time”
Review of Hole in the Wall - CLOSED

Hole in the Wall
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Delightful 17th century English pub and restaurant in the picturesque village of Little Wilbraham, near Cambridge. Delicious rustic British pub food available in the bar and innovative and tasty food available in the restaurant
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We've been to the Hole in the Wall quite a few times now and we're always happy with the food we eat. This time around the food was mostly very good, but there was a notable exception with the steak that most of us ordered.

I don't think I'd had poor service here before, but the poor experience started when we arrived and had very cold attention from the guy behind the bar. It also took a long time to get menus, possibly because the staff seemed to devote most of their attention to some regulars who came into the bar after us. We did get a promise to have our order taken at the bar, but the maître d’ obviously forgot. We got shown to our table and after rather a long time, we did manage to find somebody to take our order. The poor girl seemed to struggle to speak up though, so it was hard to tell if she understood what we were saying!

Our starters of the crayfish skater and duck egg were very tasty. The skagen was essentially poshed up prawn cocktail, but the cucumber and dill made it deliciously light.

Things got bad from here though. After around another 45 minutes, the maître d’ came out and apologised that they had run out of steak and could they substitute some rump they had left over. I think we would have been more sympathetic if they had noticed this when we ordered and not after they had served steak to the table that ordered after us. Anyway, the steak arrived after a while and was slides up into pieces and none of us could really tell the different bits of steak apart. Quite why any chef needs to cut the steak up for you, I don't know.

Dessert came last and the maître d’ did try and make amends with complementary desserts. These were all truly delicious and the stars of our meals. A lovely salty rice pudding was a great surprise. Such a pity that the service was all Keystone Cops that night and I hate to mark a good restaurant so low, but it did rather spoil our evening.

4  Thank masaccio

Reviewed January 24, 2013

As the title lovely food, brilliant service, nice atmosphere. Was recomended by a friend at ti didnt dissapoint. Nice choice of starters and mains, good wine list. Menus are on the website.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

Delicious set lunch - fresh and imaginative with careful sourcing of ingredients. £14 for 2 courses,£16 for 3, including very special home-made breads. Among the dishes we ordered: venison sausages on melting red cabbage and root vegetables, fresh sole, Italian tomato-based soup,Scandinavian crayfish with dill. Well-chosen and fairly-priced wine list. Warm and intelligent welcome, and the open logfire made for a relaxed afternoon. Journey from Cambridge a bit bleak but definitely worthwhile - a rare find.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

I have eaten here 4 times over the past 3 years and on all occasions been very pleased with both the food and service. The location is off the beaten track yet only 20mins from Cambridge city. The chef-patron and staff are all young, enthusiastic and very pleasant. The dining rooms are either a small snug bar area with beams and an open log fire this time of year, or the main dining room. My preference would always be the bar as it is intimate, a little quieter and very cosy. The menu is seasonal, modern English cooking with ideas added from around the world. Last nights southern fried partridge was a real treat and the hake a perfect mixture of complimentary flavours and textures. My other half had the steak and that was as good a steak as I have tried in the UK (certainly at these prices - I have paid much more and got a lot less).
I would have to recommend this restaurant as I think the chef really understands flavour combinations and is trying very hard to offer great food.

1  Thank Nathan N
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We visited Hole in the Wall twice within the same month – travelling up from Hertfordshire – and its was well worth the trip. Charming setting, excellent parking so no accessibility issues and the place is cosy (log fires in winter!) without being crowded. The staff are charming with ready smiles with service being fast without a rush. The first time we ate was on a Saturday lunch-time when we were able to try the superbly price specials at £16 for three courses. The next time was a Sunday lunch closer to Christmas and they were fully booked – but still the service flowed without interruption. Flavours are clear and singing (love the crayfish starter and those sweet cucumber cubes!) served on rustic wooden boards, and don’t forget – if your waistline will let you – to give the three-times cooked chips a try. There’s a good selection of wines by the glass and, as it’s a free house, some great beers. It’s just my opinion, but I think this restaurant is destined for much greater things - the flavours are so well balanced.

1  Thank Herne_the_hunter99