“Invasion of the Body Snatchers!”
Review of Hole in the Wall - CLOSED

Hole in the Wall
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Delightful 17th century English pub and restaurant in the picturesque village of Little Wilbraham, near Cambridge. Delicious rustic British pub food available in the bar and innovative and tasty food available in the restaurant
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Take eight hungry golfie boys, and eight even hungrier wives, serve them wonderful food, cooked perfectly, delivered with good grace, a smile, and bucketloads of wine, and all for a reasonable price! Am I writing about a work of cinematographic fiction?
No! I am writing about the exemplary Hole in the Wall pub/restaurant at Little Wilbraham in Cambridgeshire. I went recently (my third visit to The Hole) with my golf group and our significant others for our annual Christmas Beano. Everyone thought all their food was great, and for the staff to cope so well with such a large group deserves considerable credit. Whether you're toute seule, à deux, or in a group (of, well, up to sixteen in my experience) The Hole in the Wall is well worth visiting!

Reviewed December 7, 2012

I first visited the Hole in the Wall a year ago for lunch with friends, it was so good, we decided to meet here again this week for lunch. This time it was even more enjoyable! The two or three course set lunch menus are excellent value, the food was served piping hot and delicious to consume. The staff are very welcoming and friendly, and also very willing to please. The charming lady serving us at our table, continually asked if everything was to our satisfaction and if there is anything more she could do for us etc. Nothing was too much trouble. Overall, a most enjoyable dining experience in a cosy little pub with a roaring fire. I am already looking forward to my next visit to this little gem of a place just outside Cambridge.

1  Thank Malsorman
Reviewed December 2, 2012

This is an example of the perfect pub for sunday lunch......a pretty elusive phenomenon.
Proper old fashioned english country pub. Roaring fires, friendly welcome, beams, cosy, un-messed-about-with. You know the kind of thing that you always hope you will stumble upon, but seldom do.
The dining room is less characterful, but the food was pretty faultless. Moist roast pork, crispy roast potatoes, perfectly cooked veggies and delicious homemade gravy. Puddings were amazing too.
Not posh or too smart for its own good and none of those hideous signs of over-gentrification - pseudo Farrow and Ball festooned with brand new shabby chic knick knacks - honest and traditional. Lovely!

Reviewed November 28, 2012

We arrived for our first visit during a busy lunch period without a booking and it seemed as if the owner/ manager went out of his way to adjust his seating to find us a table. There were two log fires and the atmsphere was cosy and intmate. The set lunch menu was good value and tasty and the service attentive and pleasent. We will visist again.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

I've been wanting to try this restaurant for ages and after reading the Observer Food monthly awards I had to make a booking and I'm so glad I did!
On arrival the building has such a charm, its filled with character and this is completely complimented by they warm friendly welcome by the staff. We had a drink in the bar before Bob took us to our table in the snug (in my view the best place to eat!). He and the team were great, professional, helpful and most importantly were well versed on the menu and the wines.
And so to the food, it was difficult to say which was the best dish as they really were stunning! The smoked salmon starter was incredible, such delicate flavours delivered in such an imaginative way. Southern fried partridge with coleslaw was so more-ish!
It was hard to pick from the main courses as they all looked so amazing, however the duck and the fillet of beef were chosen, all i can say is oh wow! The duck, again beautifully cooked, pink but not too pink, tender, with an incredible sauce, balanced amount of spice just totally complimenting the duck, I could have eaten another plate full! The fillet of beef was just amazing, it came with braised shin of beef which was to die for! The triple cooked chips according to my partner were the best he'd ever tasted.
To desert and doughnuts and panna cotta were chosen, again 10 out of 10!
The chefs passion for good food is apparent from the whole experience. Their creativity and respect for their ingredients is so visible in the food, normally when this happens you get excellence, here thats raised to outstanding brilliance!
I can't wait to go back, truly one of the best dining experiences I've had! The Hole in the wall is a worthy winner of its AA rosette but watch out as I reckon it won't be long until it has it's first (and well deserved) Michellin star.

3  Thank Alan O