“DISAPPOINTING” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Auberge du Donjon

Auberge du Donjon
Cuisines: French
Good for: Kids, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Phone No. +33 2 51 51 20 07 ‎
France
“DISAPPOINTING”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

The Donjon used to be one of our favourites (at those prices and standards) as we live only 15k away and have patronised the place many times. However, it has changed hands and the service on our previous visit was VERY poor and the food expensive and ill prepared and presented. My wife and I were very sorry to loose such a pleasent restaurant.

In the summer my wife went into hospital and so, tired of cooking for myself, I set out on a gloriously hot, sunny day to anothe favourite Sunday lunch restaurant. However, it was closed and so I decided to give the Donjon another try. To my pleasent suprise tables were set out in the courtyard and I secured the remaining small table which meant I could have my dog next to me (a water bowl was supplied). Unfortunately a nearbye , large table was occupied by 9 or 10 members of an English family and one American who seemed to think they owned the world and carried out a continous conversation with plumbs in their mouths at high volume. By the end of my lunch I could have suggested a more appropriate location for the plumbs!

The service had improved but the food was still mediocre and not sufficiently hot for me even though I recognise that many French do not expect piping hot food.

I left disappointed once again even if my dog enjoyed his bread and water!

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Bruxelles
“WITH VIEW ON THE CASTLE OF BARBE BLEU”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

Owners are not customer-friendly at all. A Dalmatian dog runs around in the restaurant, at the terrace and importunes the customers. Not a pleasant feeling at all at such a nice location.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Globe03
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
“Great value and yummy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

Went twice in our 2 week holiday and found it enjoyable both times, lovely formule menu which was great value and taste. They serve leffe by the glass which is worthy of note and the carafe of wine with lunch was nice too. Recommend arriving at midday if you would like a seat outside as it is very popular but the tables inside are also characterful and cool. Good efficient service and a real find in this little village. Castle worth a visit after lunch - great views from the top and an interesting medieval herb garden makes a pleasant day out. Luckily we were also there for the Bazoges fireworks on 21st which were also spectacular and can imagine their medieval nights are fun too, sorry we left before they took place.

1 Thank Friaryally24
Coffs Harbour, Australia
“Atmosphere and quality food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

This restaurant is not expensive for lunch. The food is beautifully prepared and presented. There is a formula ( set menu) most days except Sunday. Usually around 12 Euros. Wine extra but reasonable. The casle nearby is also well worth visiting but as usual in France it is never open on a Sunday morning and off season it is open late in the afternoon. Good to walk around and avoid the costs involved in seeing the various parts when not open! You may have to book in the high season but in June it was fine.

• Visited June 2012
Harleston, Norfolk
“Comfortable & good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2012

This restaurant which we have used twice beforehand, is popular locally so it is best to book ahead. We visited on one of the jours feriés so had booked ahead. As it was a fete, we arrived early (12:00) and were attended promptly. The place was fully booked and all tables were taken by 13:00. The first course came quickly but we waited for subsequent courses because of the number of people. In these difficult times, it is evident that small places like this cannot afford staff but Le Donjon produces excellent food and for which it is worth waiting. If you are in a hurry, forget it! You are in the country, relax! I had gourmet salad, megret de canard & sorbet de cassis. My wife had mousseline, merlo & creme brulee. The grand child had cold meats, burger & chips. With half bottle of good Sauvignon + cocktail etc the bill came to €69. We are both particular about our food and have travelled widely so we can that say that, judging on this visit (& allowing for the Fete des Meres) , we would recommend Le Donjon.

• Visited June 2012