This was without doubt the worst holiday my husband, children and I have ever experienced. We booked a 2 week family holiday over December 2011 / January 2012 based on the Lodge's website, which shows (amongst others) clean lodges, neat and tidy gardens, and a sparkling swimming pool. We booked 3 lodges to accommodate 16 people (8 adults and 8 children) and were required to pay in full up front. Between us, the cost of our accommodation was in excess of R60,000 for the 2 weeks and, given that this was not inexpensive, we expected a certain level of comfort. We were sorely disappointed. Our "lodge" was dark, dirty and dank. We had to scrub the dirty ring from around the bath on the night we arrived before our children could bath. There were enormous cockroaches in the bin cupboard in the kitchen, easily the length of my thumb. There was gecko excrement on top of the fridge. The linen and the bath towels were threadbare. The pillows on the beds were discoloured and stiff from age and use. It rained the night we arrived and we woke up the next morning to find the floor in the children's room under water and their beds saturated because of a hole in the roof. My sister-in-law was bitten so severely by what the doctor suspected were bedbugs that she was put on cortisone and antibiotics, and had festering suppurating sores on her ankles and legs for weeks afterwards. Her oven door didn't close properly so it was difficult to cook anything, like a lasagne or a chicken. The seal on the fridge was also warped so the fridge didn't get very cold, and milk and yoghurt had to be stored in one of the other 'lodge' fridges. When we arrived, the communal swimming pool was a murky green - it was cleared up over the 2 weeks that we stayed there but it smelled of urine throughout. The trampoline was broken. We were robbed the one night and had all of our beach gear that was on our deck stolen (beach towels, costumes, etc). The robbers were disturbed trying to gain entry into my brother's "lodge" and ran away. The Lodge advertised a ferry as a means to get to and from the beach using the lagoon. It turns out that it was no more than a raft (some plastic barrels roped together with some wooden planks and seating on top), which (if we had wanted to risk it) we could pole ourselves up and down the lagoon. We too were met with surly, unhelpful, disinterested, aggressive and rude staff (other than the cleaners who serviced our "lodges" on a daily basis and the maintenance guy who tried). We were shown no sympathy following the robbery and in fact not a single person from Lodge management even made any enquiry as to our well being. Lodge management were hardly ever present or available, and the staff at reception were indifferent to complaints about the state of the "lodges" and other facilities. We made enquiries about checking out early and obtaining a refund but were rudely told we were free to leave if we were dissatisfied but that there would be no refund under any circumstances. I overhead guests who had checked into the 'lodge' next door to ours talking on their cell phones in which they said that they had just arrived and were disappointed ("it's not what we were expecting") - they left that same afternoon. It was a bitterly disappointing waste of money and, more importantly, a total waste of a precious, hard-earned holiday with our kids and extended family. Subsequent to our holiday, I read an article in the Sunday Times, written by Ben Trovato in early December 2011, in which he described his experience at Zinkwazi Lagoon Lodge. It was strikingly similar to our experience described above. Never again will we return to Zinkwazi Lagoon Lodge (& Paradise) and we will not recommend it to anyone who asks.