“Ideal Stay”
Review of Villa de Zoysa

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pitiwella
Villa de Zoysa
Reviewed April 5, 2014

A friend and I visited villa de zoysa in February 2014 based on the recommendation of friends in dubai. We found the villa to be centrally located along the coast near our beaches of interest. Obtaining transportation was very easy between each beach and galle fort. The other house guest were very interesting, which added to the communal feel of the space. People coming and going at different stages of their Sri Lankan adventure. Devinda manages the house very well and allows the guest to feel as it is their house, available as needed but not constantly hovering over you; which we really appreciated. I found the house staff very polite and informative. And responsive in Thier off time, which goes beyond hospitable.

Villa de Zoysa is a great place to stay to enjoy the relaxed culture of Sri Lanka in a beautiful house with interesting and diverse people. It's a perfect place to enjoy the flow of Sri Lanka.

• Stayed: February 2014

Reviewed March 8, 2014

I stayed at the White house in November 2013 for 2 weeks. It was ok, but the worst thing was that people from our group got robbed in the rooms twice! The house is a small colonial villa, really nice, you feel very familiar and at home easily, but this is even worse when you get robbed there.
A few days after I arrived, two girls from our group got robbed in their rooms and some of their money was stolen. Devinda, the owner didn't contact the police to pursue the break-in and theft persue, and he didn't talk with the group about what happend. Then, only 10 days later, when I was the only one staying at the Villa, I got robbed while sleeping in my room! They stole my ipod, money and my pocket knife. It is horrible to wake up and realize that someone was there while you were sleeping. Devinda was polite and even reimbursed me for some of the money, but he didn't contact the police. I contacted the police after I left and they told me that presumably this must have been the staff. In any case, this was a horrible experience and very unneccessary that it happened twice in two weeks.
Apart from that, they have two nice dogs (who get annoying at the dinner table though). The room was amazing, with nice view to the garden, the groups are usually small. The food is nice, but after some days a bit the same.
It is very noisy as there is a railway going right through the garden, with a train ever hour. And the national route is going right between the Sea and the house (so the house is not at the beach as you might think). Even during Yoga you hear the traffic and the train.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Nicole_Martina_M
Yoga Sri Lanka ... D, Owner at Villa de Zoysa, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

I am surprised that this review is nearly five months late.
Unfortunately, A robbery did take place around the time when Ms Nicole was a resident. However,it was not break in, as the writer may try to impress, but a walk-in theft as Ms Nicole left the window open for the intruder to send a stick through and grab her bag. There was a couple of reasons why I did not report it straight away to the police, officially, but unofficially, was pursuing the suspect. In a small village, police presence create big news and can alert the culprit to flee. Secondly, Police are already investigating an unrelated incident Ms Nicole had, prior to coming here, which had a question of credibility. I was not in favor of repeated police visits. If any reader is interested, I can forward the official transcripts of these Police records. It is after all a newly recruited laundry woman who did it, as Ms.Nicole herself found out. I was courteous enough to reimburse the sum she lost , courteous enough to entertain a random man she met and bought over for dinner free of charge, something no other management will do.
She came here on a high recommendation from one of his girl friends, and I wonder why the friend did not complain about the noise,or why she bothered recommending me if the place is so bad. Reason is she was a happy person and was not looking to find something. It is difficult for me to please all the people all the time, but I do most of the people all the time, and my majority reviews will stand testimony for this. Thank You.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

Travelled here on 24th January and stayed here for two weeks and had the most amazing holiday . Key highlights
- the rooms are beautiful ( we had room 3) . We decided to upgrade to upstairs which had a beautiful balcony
- the house which is open to treat as your own has lots of places to read and relax with an amazing library upstairs
- devinda and his team - I have never felt so looked after on a holiday - nothing was too much trouble and devinder helped to organise our trips and any ventures out .
Food - every meal was a beautiful experience of food, company and service. We had dinner outside with candles and the magic of the fireflies dancing
- yoga- twice a day and really pushed and strengthened my practice this to the amazing teachers. Trips to the peace pagoda and yoga on the beach was the most spiritual experience I have ever had
- people - the chance to meet like minded people and truly merging some new friends for life

I could have stayed here forever if only devinda could have added me to his employee list ..... Don't delay book ow whether it is for a few days or a few weeks . Namaste xx

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Had a wonderful stay in the simply stunning White House, from the Yoga to the food to living in a mansion it was truly a wonderful stay. Devinda and team make you feel so welcome that you actually feel like a guest in there home. Highly recommend

Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Wow - where to begin? This experience was incredible. Thank you Devinda for being such a generous and gracious host.

There are 4 rooms downstairs, and 3 upstairs. All are different lay outs, and different rates.
Free wifi available. Good connection.

The staff who work there are so very kind, and very hard working. The food was out of this world. The meals are abundant! Everyone sits at a huge dining table, which is so fun to get to know everyone. It's really a beautiful atmosphere. Breakfast is the most delicious and fresh fruit salad, single fruits also served, freshly cooked eggs, tea, coffee, fresh local buffalo curd, local palm sugar syrup, passionfruit jam, butter, the world's best coconut rotis, sometimes egg hoppers, and more. Dinner was mostly vegetarian, with some fish or other seafood served on most nights as well. Always rice is served. The eggplant, pumpkin, and water spinach were a highlight. And the dhal is mind-blowing. The food is different all the time, so you will get to experience the variety of sri lanka - many fruits and vegetables I'd never heard of before too. Some of them grown on the property, or at the owners school, or his other property. Divine!

Yoga is twice daily in the outdoor 'shala'. Mosquito nets surround it perfectly. Mats provided!

The garden is so beautiful! The railway line out the front of the property is charming. And you're on a main street facing the beach, with many buses and tuktuks to take you anywhere if you wish. Devinda will help you with any, and many, questions. He can arrange to take you to temples, a tea plantations, to ride his (rescued) elephant, and lots more. He has two of the most friendly dogs in the world, Bo and Prince. They will add to your stay. I miss them so much!

Do not miss this experience!

Room Tip: Stay upstairs if available. But all rooms are good!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank amoslandrybasket
Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the beautiful Villa de Zoysa for ten days and had an absolutely amazing stay. Devinda could not have been more welcoming, helpful and kind! It felt like staying with an old friend, nothing was too much trouble and we loved every minute.

The house is simply amazing - so peaceful and full of history. Dinners were FANTASTIC - I don't think I have ever eaten so well, such fresh delicious food, often grown from the local schools organic vegetable garden and the best tuna I've ever had...
Breakfast is also a delight, fresh fruit, coconut rottis, eggs, everything you could want.

Yoga was wonderful, we had a great teacher (Klara) who was very patient and understanding as we were basically beginners. We never missed a class, a lovely way to start and end the day - leaving the evening yoga class by candle light with fireflies all over the garden is something we will always remember.

We miss it so much we actually feel homesick for the place! We will come back the first chance we get!

If you are visiting Sri Lanka you have to go - You will not regret it, it truly is a hidden gem and we feel so lucky to have experienced it. Thank you again Devinda and to all your staff for the most fantastic stay!

Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Wonderful location, great yoga with Barbara, amazing food, good company amd Devinda is the consummate host!! A must stay for anyone travelling to Sri Lanka!! I extended my stay as it was too good to leave. And Prince and Bow make the perfect doggie companions! Great fun and good times.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank AbbieGF
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pitiwella
Niyagama House
0 mi away
No photo provided
Take It Easy - Beach Huts
#3 of 4 in Pitiwella

Been to Villa de Zoysa? Share your experiences!