“Great place to chill out and recharge your batteries”
Review of Villa de Zoysa

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pitiwella
Villa de Zoysa
Brussels, Belgium
“Great place to chill out and recharge your batteries”
Reviewed January 27, 2012

I have spent 3 wonderful weeks at Villa de Zoysa with my husband. We have enjoyed it very much. I think mainly because of the energy from the people who were there at the moment. We had an occassion to meet fascinating people at different age from all over the world, chat with them, eat together, and practice some yoga. We have stayed mainly there and didn`t want to travel around the island, but some of people there went to do some excursions, so I assume it can be also a good base for travels.
Regarding the negative comment that I saw regarding this place, I can only say: 'You only get what you give away'

Room Tip: I would recommend rooms upstairs:)
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ewa K

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed January 27, 2012

Went there october 2011 and had a fabulous time. Arrived very stressed from my job back home and didn't want to leave the retreat after 2 weeks. What a calming atmosphere, one of the best foods i've ever had, great yoga practice and a very helpful and kind owner.
what an experience! Thanks a lot!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 25, 2012

I travelled from Ireland to Sri Lanka during the winter to stay for a week in Villa De Zoysa (which I found randomly in a book called 'body & soul escapes) and I had a wonderfully relaxing time there. I had made contact with the owner by email beforehand and was happy with this direct contact and the details provided by him. My experience there was magical I have to say.

Firstly, the food is wonderful. The breakfasts and evening meals were delicious and abundant with the best of fresh, local produce. The dining room itself is rather spectacular. An imposing candleabra hangs from the high ceiling, illuminating the long oval table. The evening meal was always an amazing spread (taking up most of the table!) with an abundance of local dishes, all of which were incredibly tasty. The owner joined us on many occasions for dinner & regaled us with local tales from his encyclopedic knowledge of the area and the history of Sri Lanka... dinners were always a great experience with the mix of people, personalities and general good humour!

My room (a superior one) was worth the extra charge. The polished concrete floors are inlaid with beautiful bronze detailing & the room was spotless. My four poster bed with netting was a delight! The balcony doors opened out towards the sea - which is just across the road beyond the wonderful gardens. The first evening I opened the doors my breath was taken away by the dancing fireflys illuminating the night sky - it really felt magical. I slept so soundly in that room every night of my week's stay!
I did a week of yoga there and the teacher was first class - Lucie Beyer. We were all given great attention and I really felt the benefit of the week's yoga on my return. I hadn't done much yoga but Lucie catered to everyone's individual needs with great efficiency. There was also the opportunity to have a massage (which I did) and that was also first class.

The house itself is wonderfully atmospheric. The owner has furnished the house very tastefully and there are artifacts & antiques everywhere. There is a lovely veranda outside that wraps around the house - perfect for chilling out in one of the many deckchairs or daybeds. The train lines outside are close enough to the property but I can honestly say I didnt notice any level of disturbance from this. I occasionally heard a train pass by - but to my mind this was not disruptive- the momentary whoosh of a passing train is not an unpleasant occurance at all to me. The local beach in Hikkaduwa is about 10 mins away by tuk tuk taxi (which is very reasonable and always an experience!) The beach is super with lots of great little spots for lunch or a cool drink.
All in all, I had a wonderful time in Villa De Zoysa. I found the owner to be very helpful & generous in his approach to me as a guest on all occasions. I would recommend Villa De Zoysa whole heartedly!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Hazel555
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed January 25, 2012

I have stayed several times for several weeks at the villa and was always reluctant to write a review here, because if people acually knew how great this place it, it would constantly be booked out and I might not be albe to go there anymore when I have time. I rather wanted to keep it a "Geheim-Tip" for those who are looking for something special: who apreciate the family-like atmosphere, the beauty, the great, healthy food at the big dinner table, and the joy of practicing Yoga twice a day with competent teachers. Devinda is a fantastic host who personally does his very best to show his guests a great time.
If you are looking for Sex & Drugs & Rock'n Roll - don't go there.
If you like feeling anonymous in a big, unpersonal Resort - don't go there.
What ever the website promises, the place keeps.
And I have met many interesting people there who I'm still friends with.
It's SPECIAL. It's not for everybody. And that's good this way.

Room Tip: The extra money for a Premium Room is well worth it.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank tom_ConsciousAction
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 25, 2012

I had to write after reading the previous negative review, which was a million miles away from our experience. Everything about Villa de Zoysa was amazing, especially the organizer and owner who couldn't do enough for all his guests and went out of his way to suggest and show places of interest, giving lifts or arranging for guides to take you/bring you back to/from anywhere you wanted to go. He showed us around the local childrens orphanage which he is involved with and arranged for us to go to a tea plantation and all the way to Pinnewela elephant sanctuary (a long way but it was so worth it).

The location of the White House was beautiful and peaceful. Yes it's by a railway track but it wasn't any bother at all. It certainly doesn't "shake the house". One of my favourite memories is doing yoga with the open doors to the sound of the waves and all the unfamiliar sounds outside and knowing I was in Sri Lanka! The beach is beautiful and just a short, cheap tuk tuk ride away, which was another favourite memory and part of the overall exotic experience of Sri Lanka.

Another outstanding part of our stay was the food! Am sure it was the highlight of everyone's day and wish it was something I could still indulge in. It was healthy and delicous, there was lots of variety and you could eat as much as you wanted, they just kept bringing out more when plates got emptied!

I also found the yoga to be excellent and know that the organiser asked and made sure that his guests were happy with the teachers. It is a very laid back place and everyone is welcome, it is very much an "open house" and yes people drop by, you have to remember that this is the organizer's home and he is entitled to guests! The previous reviewer complained about there not being many people there, and then also complained when some showed up? We went in March and overlapped with some people so at some point there were only 3 of us at yoga, but we liked the quietness and personal attention we got. Yes I had a friend with me but had originally planned to go alone and still think I would have had a fantastic time as there's so much to do there and you can get as involved as you like, I think it all really depends on you. I don't have one single criticism of the whole holiday, it was a magical place and I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Michele F
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed January 25, 2012

My partner and I stayed at Villa de Zoysa for two weeks, and loved every minute of it. The house was gorgeous, the rooms comfortable and clean, and the grounds are lovely. We spent our days relaxing and reading on the broad front porch, walking to the nearby surf spots, testing out the spicy food in nearby lunch shops, or riding in tuk-tuks straight to the beach loungers at Hikkaduwa.

The food at the Villa was amazing - we ate our breakfast and dinner there everyday. The usual breakfast was a tropical fruit salad (that is so delicious we've been trying to make it at home ever since), eggs and tea. Every night the kitchen staff prepared some new and amazing curries, fish, and rice. I think that those nights might have been the complete highlight of the trip - during our stay, the house was full of international travelers. Some of them were volunteering at nearby schools and orphanages, and for them, the owner provided a discounted rate on room and board. The others, like us, were tourists from Europe, Africa, and the United States, looking to relax and enjoy our time. The dinners were communal and we had roaring great times sitting around the big table and enjoying each others stories about the most recent Sri Lankan experience.

Each day we had the option of attending yoga classes (at that point, offered twice a day), which were relaxing and enjoyable. Sometimes the volunteers would join us, and each class was a little different because travelers would come through periodically and join or leave. We made fast friends with several couples and singles during those group dinners, so the sessions were really enjoyable, even with different people coming through. The yoga teachers were very experienced, but not in the way that some over-ambitious yoga retreats that I've attended can be.

At one point we decided that we were ready to venture out and explore some more of the island. The owner organized a driver for us (which is necessary, because driving around in Sri Lanka yourself is hectic. There might be road signs, but nobody cares), and invited us to store our bags, computers, and surf board there free of charge while we cruised around the island. The driver was great and took us all over - to Yala National Park, up to Kandy, Nurya Elia, Sigariya, etc. I feel like we saw it all!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank S M
Cape Town

Happy November 2011 at Villa de Zoysa

Just came back from a stunning vacation in Sri Lanka.
Villa de Zoysa is the place to go!
- best food !!!!
- clean rooms, especially when you compare it to the rest of Sri Lanka
- super helpfull owner that are there for you day and night with great tips.
- local sufers that take you out on the reef right in front of the villa
- bring cash, as there is no credit card machine.
- small yoga classes, very relaxing

Hope to go back in May this year.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Surfer11CapeTown
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pitiwella
Aditya
#1 of 1 in Pitiwella
No photo provided
Take It Easy - Beach Huts
#3 of 4 in Pitiwella

Been to Villa de Zoysa? Share your experiences!