“New owner, same excellent food”

Yeung Sing Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 18 Restaurants in Bingham
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: A Hotel and Chinese Restaurant in the heart of the Vale of Belvoir in the beautiful town of Bingham. The hotel has 15 quality, mid-priced rooms that are perfect for visitors with local families, business or on a holiday in the area. The restaurant has been established for 24 years and is considered the best in the region. The kitchen at the Yeung Sing restaurant is the home of the Aromatic Duck which continues to be a favourite on the menu.
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I have been going to 'Tommy's' ever since I moved to Bingham (20 years ago), and I was rather worried when I heard it had changed hands. I have friends from all over the country who loved to eat there: I think some of them only visit me so they can go for a Chinese meal. However, I went for my first meal under the new management this week and I am relieved to say the food is as good as ever. If you want really excellent Chinese food in the Nottinghamshire area, then Yeung Sing is still the place to find it.

1  Thank Bingham_Geoff
Yeung_Sing, Owner at Yeung Sing Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Hi Geoff,

When Tommy left I told him that my success would be measured by his pride in the continued success of the restaurant, the food has to be excellent and I am delighted to read your comments. We really, really take pride in the quality of the food, the entertainment and great atmosphere hopefully makes it the perfect evening.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

The food was excellent.The staff very attentive and friendly and the atmosphere great on a very busy Friday night.Definitely somewhere to try and I'm sure like us you will want to visit again.

2  Thank Ernie W

Hello Ernie,

It was a pleasure to have you and your lovely wife stay with us. I certainly appreciated your company at the bar late in the evening.

We have a new TripAdvisor page for the hotel now: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g1932265-d3487379-Reviews-The_Bingham_Townhouse-Bingham_Nottinghamshire_England.html

We ended up calling it the Bingham Townhouse, The Buttercross name we felt was to be kept back for something more intimate, a health spa on the premises perhaps...

Thank you for your warm comments on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

I was 4 Years old when I moved to Bingham, it was the same year the hotel was built (1989). Let's just say it was no little chef. Birthdays, graduations and well... any excuse to dress up and enjoy the company of family and friends. With a full house the hotel easily caters for the overspill of family & friends. in hospitality 23 years is a long time and with that comes new concepts and increased competition. The hotel has from what I recall... rarely at the centre of attention unlike the fantastic theatre and drama or shredding a crispy duck, to the delivery of sizzling dishes being a welcome sight to everyone from the discreet anniversary to the family celebrations. So the hotel... its a gem... one that needs a good polish. Don't get me wrong, the room was quiet, comfortable & absolutely immaculate. But you can see... not alot has changed since 1989. Now I checked into the room around half 2 This morning with my "merry" partner and was greeted with a warm unassuming welcome from the new Chap in town, Nigel. 7 hours later nursing a hangover and a fab full English it just hit the spot. Friendly, efficient staff. We were never rushed. There was a refreshing and endeering sense of that you (the customer) means alot to the business, which I believe dwindled under the reign of the previous owner. I can see Nigel has the focus, ambition and motivation to get this forgotten gem back up there with the big boys in Nottingham like Harts etc. Good luck to you Nigel. I'll be back. Cheers.

3  Thank CookieMonster85

Hello CookieMonster,

Thanks for the terrific review, we loved having you stay. You'll be please to know that the rooms now have new beds, linen, curtains and blinds and are looking much more refreshed.

Your review was really appreciated and I share these (and translate) them with our staff.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed July 14, 2012 via mobile

Very good food more expensive than your average Chinese but worth it. Very nice decor inside. Would give it a 10/10 if the service was a little better at times, but the service is not terrible by any means.

I live locally and I go for special occasions and will continue to do so

Yeung_Sing, Owner at Yeung Sing Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2012

Hello Corkeye,

Thanks for your nice comments. You know, you hit the nail on the head as this is what we aim to achieve. We are a little more pricey than the average but then we use prime Scottish fillet in our dishes and only the best, British, ducks.

We are doing delivery service now, so call up and we'll deliver your favourite dishes to your door.

Hope we can feed you well soon.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

its the hotel i stayed in didnt eat in the restaurant though it looked quite nice I visited bingham to stay with friends and as this was the only hotel stayed there i paid 49 pounds per night b and b. I arrived at around 4 in the afternoon and was greeted by a young man, Itold him who i was and asked where my room was he said up there and keep going round . He then said would i be having breakfast i said probaly he said probaly we need to know i said i was going out with friends and didnt know if i would be up he said you need to tell us i said ill let him know when i come back in. He said what time would i be back as the hotel closes at 11 ? I said ive got to be back before 11 he said yes I said no way this is a hotel he said knock on a door over there he pointed to a house and they will let me in then changed his mind and gave me a number to ring when i came back. He then said can you pay me which i did then said i would go to my room another young man then appeared and they both started chatting and laughing in chineese i think it was obious it was about me the way they were looking at me. I went to my room not the clenest lots of dust thin pillows, rusty plughole full of hair and the tap top fell off. Went out to see friends got back at 12 and there was someone to let me in and told me next time i go out leave my key. Breakfast was ok i think i was the only one in the hotel, Really it was just a place to sleep wouldnt like to stay there long as it was locked up in the afternoon and i had to knock on the kitchen door to get in The manager needs to really look at the way the business is handled this could be a great place to stay and eat, shame

Hello ste225858,

Thank you for your thorough, review. I am disappointed that you had such a poor experience. Here is the action we have taken as a result of your review:

1. Deep cleaned all the rooms.
2. Changed all the bedding for higher quality linen.
3. Changed / changing the duvets and pillows.
4. Have deep cleaned some of the carpets and are doing the rest over the next 7 days,

We now have a night time porter who lives on site, rather than in the house opposite. He will let guests in at time and we are looking at a key pad access to the rear door for guests to let themselves in.

Also, the night porter doubles as a barman and will happily pull you a pint or pour you a glass of something should until 3am should you fancy a night cap.

When you visit your friends again, please do come back. Let the receptionist know who you are and we'll upgrade you and give you a voucher for the restaurant.

I hope we can see you back soon and that you give us a chance to win you over!