“A great biker Oasis in the middle of France.”
Review of Route 66 hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bussiere-Poitevine
Route 66 hotel
Cork, Ireland
“A great biker Oasis in the middle of France.”
Reviewed August 3, 2011

I would highly recommend this Hotel to all bikers traveling through France. Harry is an exceptional host,and nothing is to much for this man. We arrived at 2300 hrs, tired and hungry, and he cooked up a four course meal with plenty of cold beer. After several hours and a lot more beers later, he showed us to our rooms, that were large, clean and very comfortable. The bikes at this stage were locked in a large barn.
There is a great character and atmosphere to this place, old world mixed with the new. Pity we were trying to make the ferry home, it would have been nice to stay another night here, and soak up the atmosphere and relax. But..to a man, we said we would be back again.
Thanks again Harry, see ya soon.
ShamrockRose MCC.... Ireland.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Cork
Reviewed August 3, 2011

What a great find, iv always dreamed of a place like this on my travels, About a dozen of us biked it from IRELAND to FARO this July, and we all split up on the return leg, and the meeting up point was ROUTE 66 , a friend recommended this place to us, I was first to arrive at 4pm and Harry was very friendly and inviting,My friends arrived in dribs and drabs that evening , Harry had other plans this particular evening, and even left the Bar to us for a few hours, we ran a tab, how Cool,,,after camping all week, Harry,s bedrooms were most inviting, the rooms are amazing,,,like going back in time , we will certainly be coming back here, The Music ,The Food , Harry,s Bar, Bike Shed, top class, and we will ring ahead next time Harry,

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 24, 2011

I've stayed here a few times and, each time, the welcome from Harry & his staff have been superb. It's about 500 - 600 miles from Calais and provides a perfect break when you're off to Southern France or Spain.
I've always stayed in one of the en-suite rooms and they are large and comfortable. In addition to the dining room there's a bar and, I'm told, there will soon be a separate restaurant. Another plus is the locked barn for secure bike parking.
All in all the ONLY place I'd stay in Central France; a relaxed and laid back hotel in the middle of fantastic biking roads.
Can't recommend it enough.

Room Tip: I suggest you call Harry to book one of the en-suite rooms.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 24, 2011

This was my first visit here and I'm sure it won't be my last. Harry and his lovely lady Gill made me feel so welcome and the dinner in that great dining room was a delight. Good food and great conversation. Many thanks to you both. Peter.

Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Bedforshire
Reviewed July 22, 2011

Route 66 Hotel is an absolute must visit and stay for all hardened bikers wanting to tour France. I have visited this most delightful 'Real' Bikers Hotel for the last four years either with my girlie friends or with my partner, (all bikers) not peddle bikes please note.
On each occation we have travelled between 500-600 miles to reach Harrys (the owner of Route 66). We have been met by him and within minutes have cold beer in hand and have been introduced to the other guests in true biker style.
This is a place not for the faint hearted. If you are looking for mod cons and easy flush loos I wag my finger... non!
The local vino is juicy and goes down very well as does the beer so Im told. Pat the cook knocks up an amazing 4 course evening meal and there is lots of it. It is a very sociable occation where everyone eats together. My partner and I tried to book one of the rooms this year but unfortunately Harry was fully booked so he kindly offered us his huge caravan (that incidently had been towed around Turkey or Tunisia some months previously. This proved very comfortable and it was in a lovely spot in the field which we shared with the goats and some other campers.
There are very good showers available for campers I must add.
The rooms in the main hotel are spacious and clean and the one I stayed in a couple of years ago was very comfortable.
Now for the entertainment side....... what other hotel has the owner setting up a band and entertaining his guests in a barn that be the bar. What a hoot. Here's the best bit Harry had to pop out with his band and casually said to all his guests and it was a full house with several campers in the field ' Just popping out for an hour or two, help yourselves to drinks and note it on the sheet Ive left on the bar'. How about that for good honest biker trust. I suppose this is an Ode to Harry @ Route 66. So lift your glasses to a true Biker!!! See you Next year Haz!

Room Tip: If you cant get a room consider taking a tent. It's the experience that matters.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EstherBedforshire
Herefordshire
Reviewed July 20, 2011

We arrived at 7:50 in the evening on a day that had seen us cover 600+ miles from England in temperatures in the mid thirties.
The court yard was full of bikes with plenty of bikers milling around. Great! Just as a bikers hotel should be.
The owner Harry came over and asked us if would like a beer? "Yes please" was our reply, so we went to the bar and Harry poured two beers, put them on the counter, and asked us for 8 euros. What the *!?? we thought, you asked us if we wanted a beer! An unecessary akward moment.
The evening meal was at 8 so we took our beer after paying for it and headed to the dining room. The meal was simple and we had to make sure we got to the last course before it ran out. Not really worth 20 euros, especially as other places charge the same for a better meal and supply as much beer and wine with the meal as you like. Just look on the internet.
The room was quiet pleasant and really large. It's "The Bamboo Room" on the top floor with ensuite shower and sink, but has the use of a communial toilet on the landing. That's no bad thing in itself, but it was in need of some TLC. Which I now know has been applied as other bikers have emailed and confirmed that fact.
The next morning
We went for breakfast after a refreshing shower, but were a little dissapointed as the fried breakfast looked very anaemic. Last nights beer had trouble staying put. There ware most things there and as much as you wanted, but a little dis-organised.

In the original report I did make 2 other comments: -
one on presentation - which has been addressed
one on wine - which is a personal opinion and therfore I have withdrawn

Now the good news
I understand that the cook has been replaced and Harry has assured me the fried breakfast has improved.

My brother and I stayed here and enjoyed the biker aspect of it very much. Would either of our wives have stayed? NO.
We did stay at other biker places where they diffinately would have been happy to stay, which were also slightly cheaper!

Conclusion
Harry has reacted appropriately to my first review ( the power of TripAdvisor ).
I have given it a rating that reflects it as it was when I used it.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank MrDucati
harry-at-66, Owner at Route 66 hotel, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
No I didn't ask you if you wanted a beer, I said "Would you like a tea or a coffee or would you prefer to head for the bar" which is what I always say. (I notice you have carefully avoided mentioning the free wine which I gave to you at dinner time). Dinner was 4 courses for 20 euro and enough for seconds if you wanted it. (I know there was enough for everyone because I ate the leftovers...lol) Breakfast was sausage, egg and beans, - I am not sure how you can make it look anaemic, but thats your opinion.

I did subsequently communicate with the author of this review and he told me that if the beer had been free to begin with his whole review would have been more positive, (make of that what you will). Comments from other guests at the time suggest that these customers were not very sociable or well liked, but guys, I would welcome you back at any time for a second chance to impress you and I will even stand you a free beer if it means so much to you. Best wishes, Harry
Granada
Reviewed July 14, 2011

The first time I stayed at Harry´s was way back in 2005 when I was on a road trip and I´ve been back pretty much every year since. Harry is one of life´s eccentrics - kind, generous and a really interesting character. He took a run down French farmhouse and injected some magic into it in the form of different themed bedrooms - The Medieval Room, the Japanese Room, the Safari Room, the 1950s Room etc. All very "theatre" and all very individual. Sure, with some of the rooms you have to share the toilet, but lots of the others have their own en-suite facilities with big baths and lots of hot water and they are always clean. It´s also an old, old farmhouse and that is very much part of its charm. Don´t come here if you want wall to wall carpet and tiling! Route 66 is the sort of place where the unexpected happens - particularly in the large bar area where the party can easily go on till the wee hours of the morning! No "time gentlemen please" here at 11.30pm!! If you want something different, quirky, eccentric and at times, just plain odd in the company of fellow bikers (whether Harley lovers or Jap racer enthusiasts), you really can´t beat this place! I will return!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank GoGranada

Been to Route 66 hotel? Share your experiences!