“Great place”

Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Marahau
Cuisines: Seafood, Cafe, New Zealand
Good for: Scenic view, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Hooked on Marahau is a cafe and beer garden located on the Marahau waterfront; 1.5Km from the start of the Abel Tasman National Park's Coastal Track. Hooked has arguably the best view in the area with vistas across Tasman Bay and north along the Astrolabe to Adele and Fisherman's Islands in the Abel Tasman. We serve cafe style breakfast and lunches with barista coffee and homemade baked goods. We also have a daily happy hour from 4:00pm to 6:00pm. Dinner is bistro style with local wines and locally brewed craft beers.
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Me and my friends had breakfast, lunch and dinner there. Their burgers were epic. Good salad with feta. Really really good deserts, we ate creme brulee/chocolate mudcake/cheesecake. At dinner we had a nice fish of the day, good lambracks and a good steak, but the sides to the steak was a bit lame. Good breakfast aswell. So we really recommend this place.

Brendan A, Owner at Hooked on Marahau, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Thanks for dining with us for every meal! We appreciate your business and your positive review!

Reviewed February 14, 2014

We had Valentines dinner here ,quite romantic right across the road from the water.Very juicy steak ,nice potatoes and veg and a lovely gravad-lax salmon to start,the desserts looked nice too.Good wine and friendly ,efficient staff.

Brendan A, Owner at Hooked on Marahau, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Thank you so much for the review and rating. I'm glad you had a nice Valentine's dinner with us!

Reviewed February 14, 2014

We have been dining at Hooked On Marahau for many years now - it's our go to local place for a reliable meal. Hence, our shock at our latest experience there.

It all began when we arrived for our 7:00 pm reservation. We were escorted through the almost empty restaurant to an outdoor table. Normally this might be considered a bonus given the lovely views of the beach across the road. However, we expressed concerns this night as it was windy. overcast and cold. We gave it a try for awhile. then asked for one of the indoor tables. We were advised that these were all being held for people with reservations which we pointed out we had. It took some arguing but finally we were given a viewless indoor table in the still empty restaurant.

My husband ordered fish and chips and I asked for rack of lamb. The waitress took our order and started to walk away without asking how I would like the meat. When I asked how it was done, her response was that she did not know as she had never stood in the kitchen and watched them cook it. When we clarified that I wanted to know how well it was done she responded that it was "very well done". As I found this hard to believe and also unacceptable I asked her to check with the kitchen. The response was medium rare which was perfect for me. The food arrived and when I cut into the meat it was grey - more like medium well I would say. The waitress came by and asked if the meal was to my liking and I said it was fine as I had decided to eat it anyway. Our server must have detected my hesitation however and insisted that if it was not right, she would take it back to the kitcen as she wanted us to be completely happy. After some pressure, I finally agreed to send it back. Imagine my surprise when the waitress came back and said that the chef had examined the meat and declared it perfectly cooked. If I wanted a replacement therefore, I would have to pay $15 which I refused to do, having given up on the evening as a lost cause by then. The waitress went away and came back a few minutes later saying that if I did not want to pay for it, she would pay out of her own pocket! I of course refused as this was just ridiculous. She insisted again however and soon came back with another meal. My husband had long ago finished his fish and chips (cooked OK but made with blue warehou, a cheap fish which I have not often seen used in this application). I cut into the new lamb rack and realized that I was being punished for complaining as they brought me a raw piece of meat, just seared on the
outside to give the appearance of having been cooked. I took one mouthful and left the rest, a waste of a nice piece of meat. In the end, I paid $34 for three mouthfuls of poorly cooked lamb and a stack of beans with feta cheese.

Sadly, poor reviews like mine will do little to deter visitors from dining at this restaurant. There is a trailer park next door and it is located at the end of the Abel Tasman hiking track. In other words, a captive audience desperate for a meal. There is limited choice of restaurants in this small village although I suppose it is telling that Hooked On Marahau is rated second on Tripadvisor to an unlicensed buger joint that serves its wares out of a trailer just down the road.

Brendan A, Owner at Hooked on Marahau, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience with us. However, I have a few comments about your review.

Firstly, I am having problems reconciling the contradiction between your heading "A new customer service low" and your opening statement that you "have been dining at Hooked On Marahau for many years".

You may not have realised at the time, because her English excellent, but your server that evening does not have English as her first language. That seems to have been the source of much of the confusion. Unfortunately she misunderstood your question as to how the lamb was cooked. She seems to have done her absolute best to meet your requirements but has unfortunately, been able to do so.

The window tables inside the restaurant were indeed booked that evening and you will have noticed that they were occupied shortly after you arrived.

Unfortunately, a person's definition of medium-rare is very much dependant on that individual's own preferences. When you returned your first meal the chef therefore believed your personal preference was for lamb on the rarer side of medium rare. It seems we just couldn't manage to cook the lamb to your preferred level.

I do take exception with your final paragraph, as it reads as rather vindictive and vengeful to me. All I will say in response is that we have had an excellent season and that our average rating is 4.5.

Reviewed February 9, 2014

Excellent meal with good attentive service. Fish of the day was fresh and local and my wife's lamb was a real plate full of well cooked meat. Good position overlooking the bay. Well patronised. The proprietor and staff all worked hard to make the eating experience a pleasant one. Much better than eating at Shoreline in Kaiteriteri where we had a dreadful experience the previous evening.

Thank you so much for the perfect review!

Reviewed February 9, 2014

We really enjoyed coming to this cafe on holiday - came here for lunch 3 days in a row, actually! The service was excellent - friendly people who clearly make it a priority to be hospitable. The coffee was also good, and the food as well. Highly recommended. I like the location as well - Marahau is a more wild, less touristy beach than Kaiteriteri, and it's a lovely outlook onto the beach from the cafe - rain or shine.

Thanks for the positive review and comments. Thanks also for dinning with us three times during your stay! Your comments of Marahau's special charms mirror my own views too!