“Special place, good for retreat”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Neuville-aux-Bois
Ashram de Yoga Sivananda
The Hague, The Netherlands
“Special place, good for retreat”
Reviewed February 2, 2012

I stayed here in June for 1 week. I really enjoyed the vibe and atmosphere, very friendly and open. The rooms are nice, I stayed at a dorm with 5 beds. The bathroom is shared with some other rooms, but if I remember correctly, there were 4 showers en 2 toilets. All is very clean

The location is beautiful, it is big old house, in a park-like scenery, with fruit trees and lots of flowers. I came by car, so had no problems getting there.

The schedule takes some getting used to, getting up at 5.30 am, starting with meditation and lecture at 6 am, then the first 2-hour yoga class at 8 am. At 10 am is first meal (breakfast/lunch), always superb fresh and ayurvedic food. I loved it. Then you do Karma Yoga (selfless service), and then you have some time to yourself. There's usually a class at 1 pm about yoga asanas, chakras, stress, you name it. Then at 4 pm there's the second 2-hour yoga class and at 6 pm is dinner. Then at 8 is time for meditation and lecture again, and after 10 pm bedtime.

I really felt newborn after leaving this place. Everything is so healthy, and after doing all the yoga, you feel awesome! I can recommend it :) I do recommend to have some Sivananda Yoga classes before you come, just to see if you like it.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
7 Thank Marlies84

Couples
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Berlin
Reviewed January 8, 2011

I spent four nights at the Ashram de Yoga Sivananda at the end of 2010 and celebrated New Year's there. I had a great time. Getting there was no problem: flew into CDG airport, took the RER and metro to Austerlitz train station and then the next train to Les Aubrais (they seem to run hourly). From there I took a taxi to the ashram, about 20 km away. It's possible to take a bus to Neuville-aux-Bois but it doesn't run that often and I wanted to make it to the afternoon yoga class.

This was my fourth visit to the ashram, but my first time there in the winter. The ashram is on a large plot of partially wooded land, surrounded by farmsteads, fields and forests. It's very peaceful and you never hear any sound from the neighbors, except for an occasional rooster crowing or dog barking. The ashram itself is beautifully landscaped, which you can appreciate more in the warmer months of course. Lots of flower beds, fruit trees and meadows.

A typical day at the ashram is made up of two meditation sessions (early morning and evening), two yoga classes, a meditative walk around noontime in the countryside, an optional lecture in the afternoon, and an hour of helping out at the ashram (for example, cleaning or doing light gardening work). You get two large meals a day, brunch and dinner, which consist of well-rounded vegetarian fare: dal (bean soup), grains, vegetables, green salad and dessert. There's always a large fruit bowl at brunch time to stock up on fruit for the day, and you get a sweet snack after the noontime walk.

What makes the ashram really special is its Indian flair. With the mantra chanting after meditation, the resident South Indian priest and the ashram's shrines and temple (a visit is optional), it really is the next best thing to staying at an ashram in India -- and you don't have to forsake everyday conveniences like central heating and hot showers.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
11 Thank kaivalya108
Perth, Australia
Reviewed October 17, 2010

Well, I stayed at the Sivananda ashram in France, so my review will be about the one over there...

I wouldn't go so far as to say that it was cultish, but there was that kind of feeling, I must say. All the food was green mush, all carbs, almost no fruit or fresh vegetables. Nevertheless, chocolate cookies were on sale for a little over 3 euro a pack at the shop.

Getting to the orleans sivananda ashram is indeed a difficult thing. You can get there by changing a number of different trains/metros/buses or you can take the taxi they tell you about on the ashram page that costs 100 euros. This guy brings a new meaning to the word abusive. Basically, he was 90 minutes late to pick me up from the airport so I took a normal taxi which ended up costing me 250 euro, and he kept calling me afterward and texting me, saying all these abusive things and how he's following me to the ashram to get his money. Another thing to remember is that you need to get there before 10 pm because they close afterwards. I got there at 11 pm and these guys were so sore about me getting there so late and i was like, what was i supposed to do, fly from the airport to here? Anyway, the guy showed up at the ashram two days later and the ashram people were extremely unsensitive and unhelpful, so i just ended up in giving the guy the money just to shut him up. Moral is: DO NOT take the Transpax taxi!

Waking up is at 5 30 in the morning, first non nutritious meal is at 10 am, second is at 6 pm. 4 hours of yoga a day and throw in some selfless community work to boot.

Leaving out some of the staff and the food it was OK though. Sleeping was difficult however as the door to the hut creaked awfully everytime you'd open it so that was another downside. Other than that, it's a nice experience to have.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
10 Thank il_87

Been to Ashram de Yoga Sivananda? Share your experiences!