“Too many niggles for a 4*”

De Vere Staverton Estate
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Staverton
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stayed overnight for a wedding. The wedding itself was fantastic - the function room was festooned in soft drapes, colour-co-ordinated lighting & chair decorations. Lovely countryside/sunset views from the verandah. Plenty space in the reception/bar areas, which are separate from the actual function room, which the older guests appreciated when then the disco livened up!! Fab food (hock terrine, beef medallions & huge choc torte). BUT hardly any veg & no decaff coffee in a 4* hotel? And no management in sight to tell us what was happening when the fire alarm went off between courses. The young waiting staff/guests shouldn't have been left to deal with the situation alone. Fortunately, guests & bridal party took the situation good-humouredly! £22.50 for a very average bottle of wine in the evening - other guests told us that this was mostly corkage. If they charged a more reasonable rate, we'd have had more!!!

BUT, only 2 people checking in dozens of guests who had all come from the church at the same time led to long waits - completely predictable situation that should've been better staffed by hotel. We weren't told when/where breakfast was served, check-out times etc. Couldn't find this info in the room; REALLY basic hotel management stuff. Directions given to our room were wrong - fortunately a cleaner guided us; no lift to 1st floor with heavy bag. Fab funky modern bathroom; clean. No full-caff coffee in the rooms - too late by the time we realised to bother asking. Paper thin walls meant that our early-rising neighbours woke me up VERY early with talking/TV. Breakfast was fairly revolting - soggy bacon & sausages swimming under pools of fat. Ugh. Had to ask for coffee & only got one cup; restaurant manager was more bothered about getting staff to clear tables for lunch than guests already there! Hassle-free check-out.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Alan W, General Manager at De Vere Staverton Estate, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Thank you so much for your constructive review of your stay with us at Staverton Park. I am so pleased to hear that you had such an enjoyable time at the wedding you attended and that our beautiful surroundings along with the special decorations made a picturesque setting for such a special occasion. I am glad the layout of our bars and function rooms were so beneficial to the event also. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the food at the event and am sorry to hear that there was not enough vegetables for your liking. I am sorry to hear that you found our wine expensive, we keep our prices competitive with other neighbourly hotels and I am sorry that you found this too much. I am also sorry to hear that your wait at check-in was too long, as you can imagine, with only two computers at reception, only two receptionists can check-in at any one time. As with any large event we cannot predict how many and at what time our guests will arrive and I can only apologise that with most of the wedding party arriving together, you had to wait a while for checking in. I am glad to hear that our staff were able to assist you with directions when you had trouble finding your room and that you found the décor of the room to be fab, funky and modern. I am sorry that you were awoken early by your neighbourly rooms and that you did not enjoy our Breakfast buffet. I will certainly pass on your constructive comments to our Head Chef so that he is aware that Breakfast was not up to standard on this day. I will also forward your comments regarding service at Breakfast to our Restaurant Manager so that all waiting staff can be reminded that proactive and efficient service is needed at Breakfast. Thank you very much for such a detailed overview of your stay with us, I look forward to welcoming you back soon and hearing about your next stay.

Alan Whiteley

Write a ReviewReviews (1,878)

Reviewed July 3, 2013

I stay here due to work regularly, I have to admit my first trip was slightly disappointing but this stay has very much made up for it.

The manager behind the reception desk is fabulous, very friendly, helpful and remembered me from my previous stay. I was given a lovely room with patio doors out onto the golf course. The food is really good however, the breakfast is standard.

Complimentary wifi which always goes down well and overall, a really great stay.

I will be back!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Alan W, General Manager at De Vere Staverton Estate, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Thank you very much for your review of your recent stay with us at Staverton Park. I am so pleased to hear that you are a regular guest of ours and would like to thank you for your valued custom. I am glad that our Reception Manager made an excellent impression with you with his friendly and helpful nature. I am pleased that you enjoyed our seasonal evening buffet and found your room to be just the ticket. I am glad our complimentary wifi is a welcome convenience to your stay also. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed at this hotel over the Formula 1 weekend at the end of June. First impressions were good, but beyond reception, things started to go downhill. On opening the door to our room, we were greeted by a damp musty smell coming from the bathroom. Further into the room, the net curtains were all ripped and the carpet was stained. The bed visibly sank in the middle and you could feel each spring in the mattress, hence we did not sleep for 2 nights. Paint was peeling off the wall in the bathroom. We asked if we could change but were told there were no more rooms available yet there were some still available to book online when we checked. We stayed for 2 nights (unfortunately) and when we arrived back the second evening, 2 of the towels had been removed but not replaced and there was still a dirty glass which had not been replaced. We were looking forward to a nice evening meal but on the first night was told that the only option was a carvery as there was a function on and the normal menu wasn't available; this happened the second night as well. Also the restaurant is the main thoroughfare to the function room so all the time there were people coming and going through the restaurant and children running about - no hopes of a nice relaxing meal. We were very disappointed with our stay. We paid extra for breakfast both mornings but the food was of a poor standard and only luke warm.We always go to the F1 but will certainly be choosing another hotel next year.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
2  Thank lesley4132

Thank you very much for your constructive review of your recent stay with us at Staverton Park. I am so glad that we were able to find a resolution to your disappointing stay when you contacted me directly, but thank you also for notifying me through these means.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Set in very nice surroundings, with a 18 hole golf course for those who enjoy a round. Rooms are a good size with a lift for those who can't make the stairs. Food excellent with the choice of one to three course for the evening meal at very reasonable pricing for a hotel of this standard. The breakfast buffet full english also various cereals and savouries. Again well price better to book when booking your stay but you can pay on the day. The bar is a good size with a pool table we stayed on a weekend which was very busy but the staff were in their plenty, friendly and it was never that long of a wait till you were served. Free coffee and tea throughout our stay in the reception area was a nice touch. Would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Alan W, General Manager at De Vere Staverton Estate, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Thank you very much for your positive review of your recent visit to Staverton Park. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our beautiful surroundings and managed to fit in a round of golf into your stay too. I am glad to hear that your room was big enough and you thoroughly enjoyed our seasonal evening buffet. I am pleased that our Breakfast set you up for the day adequately and you enjoyed your plethora of choice. I am glad that our staff were never far when you needed assistance and that you had an excellent experience throughout your stay. Thank you for your complimentary feedback I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed at Staverton Park for seven nights to enable us to have a holiday touring the surrounding countryside. The staff were excellent, the room was comfortable with everything you needed to make your stay enjoyable. The buffet breakfast was great with plenty of choices from a full English, fresh fruit/salad, cereals, yoghurts or just toast and preserves if that is what you fancied. We will certainly use the De Vere Hotels again especially for long weekends.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Alan W, General Manager at De Vere Staverton Estate, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Thank you very much for your complimentary review following your recent visit to Staverton Park. I am glad to hear that your long stay enabled to enjoy our beautiful surroundings and that you found everything you might need in your room. I am pleased that you found your room comfortable and that our Breakfast buffet had plenty to offer for your tastes. I am overjoyed to hear that you are already planning your next stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

Golf trip organised by a friend. 16 gents turned up for a weekend of fun. Good course. Excellent rooms, super food helped because it was Buffett with well stocked bars. There were more facilities than we could use. Even though the hotel was busy there was plenty if staff so you did not wait long at the bar.

Room Tip: The course gets very busy at weekends.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you very much for your positive feedback following your stay with us at Staverton Park. I am so pleased that you and your friends thoroughly enjoyed our golf course and that you were more than happy with your rooms too. I am glad that you enjoyed our seasonal buffets and that we were able to cater to all your needs. I am glad that our staff were able to promptly serve you all and that your overall experience was excellent. I look forward to welcoming you all back in the future.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

Staverton Park was on my shortlist of hotels to use for a work event and after reading tripadvisor, I was a little concerned, to say the least, so I decided to visit the hotel to see if I was going to use another hotel instead. After a very open and honest conversation with the Events Co-ordinator, Nikki and the Manager, Alan regarding these reviews and having a good look around the hotel, I decided to give the hotel a chance, I am very glad that I did. The hotel is clearly having an overhaul of maintenance and things like the ripped seats are a thing of the past.
I arrived at the hotel and there was one little issue, which was resolved instantly, from there onwards, everything went extremely smoothly. The staff were professional, friendly and polite and were always on hand to help, they couldn’t do enough for us.
My event was for 35 people, so not huge. We used a conference room for the day event and everything we needed was available, and we had our own area, which felt very private and quiet, and had it’s own registration desk, coffee station and lounge area, great for breaking up in to small groups. It wasn’t the most exciting meeting room, but it did what it needed to do, with an overhead projector, screen, flipcharts and air conditioning.
For the whole day, I had a co-ordinator, Ollie, who was extremely flexible and very helpful.
A different co-ordinator took over in the evening, but the communication between staff appeared to have been clearly passed on for my requirements, as Freddie knew exactly what we required.
In the evening, we had a bbq and tropical theme and used the Staverton Suite in the Golf Club, what a great room. It had it’s own bar, it’s own terrace, a fantastic view of the golf course and was away from the main hotel, which meant that even if we were a little noisy, we weren’t going to disturb anyone in the hotel, which was perfect and felt completely exclusive to us.
I had bought tropical decorations and was obviously prepared to put these all up myself, but no, the co-ordinator took them and they were put up for us and I have to say, I think they did a better job than I would have – again fantastic service and this meant I had an extra 15 minutes to get ready.
Freddie was a great sport in the evening and even put himself forward as the tasting judge for the concoctions (cocktails), which were made by the team – not a job I would have opted for – again completely flexible, as this was completely off the cuff.
The food was great, the drinks a little pricey, but that is hotel prices.
The bedrooms are modern, clean and the hotel has a really nice relaxed feel, with a beautiful golf course and nice swimming pool, etc.
The breakfast was really nice too, the usual array of English breakfast, croissants, juices, etc and even an omelette chef on hand to cook an omelette for you, while you wait.
A great value hotel, with polite, friendly and professional staff.

Room Tip: Any issues, communicate politely with the staff, they are really helpful.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Alan W, General Manager at De Vere Staverton Estate, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Thank you so much for such an enjoyable read about your recent stay and overall experience with us at Staverton Park. I am glad that after your conversation with myself and Nikki prior to you arranging your conference and event, aided you in your decision to book with us. I am so pleased that you found all our staff to be helpful, polite and professional and that they were always on hand to cater to your needs. I am glad to hear that your conference suite was just the ticket and that the layout and facilities proved so beneficial to the structure of your conference. I am especially thrilled to hear that between Ollie and Freddie your event ran without a hitch as their communication and flexibility was just what you needed. I will certainly be passing on your comments to them both which I am sure they will greatly appreciate. I am pleased that you enjoyed your catering, from Breakfast through to your BBQ and that you especially enjoyed your evening suite and its beautiful views. I am glad that our bedrooms were to your liking and that the atmosphere in the hotel was just right after a busy day in meetings. I am so pleased that despite ongoing refurbishments throughout the hotel we were able to show you the excellence De Vere upholds in customer service and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Alan Whiteley

Also consider these accommodations in or near Staverton
Mercure Daventry Court Hotel
Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel
Fawsley Hall Hotel & Spa
Whittlebury Hall
Whittlebury Hall
#3 of 3 in Towcester
Cross Roads Hotel Northampton
Park Inn by Radisson Northampton

Been to De Vere Staverton Estate? Share your experiences!