“TRUE LUXURY”
Review of Cap Maison

Cap Maison
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Cap Estate
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Some hotels have it, and some don't !! - BUT Cap Maison has it all - if you have been to St. Lucia and did not stay at Cap Maison you have not been to St. Lucia. The hotel is excellent and service etc. is beyond imagination. the food and the spectacular views are just amazing and they will do anything for you at Cap Maison and it is so cozy and quiet which means you can really relax and recharge your energy.

Room Tip: ask for a room with roof top pool - just amazing
2  Thank Julietta S
RossCS, General Manager at Cap Maison, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2014

Thank you very much for posting your review following your time spent with us at Cap Maison

I was delighted to read of your positive experience and that out team looked after you so well

We do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you both back to St Lucia and Cap Maison

Reviewed May 31, 2014

The review title was going to include the word 'paradise', but I wanted to avoid any clichés, as this place is a little beyond direct comparisons.
We arrived without booking at all, by hire car, from a slightly less memorable resort at the south end of the island. We checked online that they had rooms first, but didn't make any more preparations than that. Yes, they could accommodate us for one night, and even better we got a 'small upgrade' included.
We thought at first that the hotel pool and surroundings were a little small for the number of rooms, until we realised that a lot of the rooms have their own pools! The main restaurant overlooks the private Caribbean coastal beach, and serves food prepared by a top UK-trained chef who specialises in Carib food 'with a twist.' It was a tasting menu the night we were there, and absolutely no complaints!
It's a steep climb down to and back from the beach, but worth it. Lovely small beach bar and restaurant serving same standard of fare as the main restaurant.
Our suite was superbly appointed - nice touch was ceiling fans for most of the rooms, and a/c reserved for the sleeping area only. Your get a much more 'tropical' feel that way, rather than with icy air filling the whole place. The mattress was I think the best I've ever slept on.
We were only there one night, which made it very special, but having stayed at quite a few places over the years, this place is up there in the top two or three places we have ever been to. I would treat any negative reviews of Cap Maison with a deal of scepticism; they're likely to be based on small, unfortunate and unusual occurrences. Because this place is rather good.

1  Thank dredd123
RossCS, General Manager at Cap Maison, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2014

Thank you very much for writing your review following your stay with us at Cap Maison

Although you could only stay one night we very much appreciate you choosing to stay with us and I was delighted that we created a positive impression and I do hope that on your next trip to St Lucia we can convince you to stay a little longer

Reviewed May 28, 2014

This gorgeous Boutique Hotel is cosy and the food is superb. I highly recommend Cap Maison to anyone wishing to stay there. The views are just breath-taking. Do give it a try you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: DO call the hotel and ask for their best deals and even when you get there try an upgrade. Request a...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank MARYPATRICIA

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review following your stay with us in March this year

It was great to read that you enjoyed your time spent with us and thank you also for the recommendation - it truly means a lot to us all

Kind regards

Reviewed May 23, 2014

Words cannot do justice to the amazing time we had at Cap Maison. From the moment we entered the resort, we were treated like royalty. Our accommodation (3 bedroom villa suite) was well suited for our family of four and my husband's parents. The location was great, the resort immaculate and the beach fantastic. But what REALLY made our holiday was the staff. They were so friendlily and caring. After our first day there, my daughter was covered in mosquito bites. Wendy, a waiter at the main restaurant, went out and cut some aloe vera to help with the bites. Noel the egg man knew our orders by day 3. Julian lead us on a fantastic hike on the north east coast. I could go on and on. Even Ross, the GM, came by several times to not just ask how things were, but to chat us up and actually get to know us. It was like staying with friends.

Pros:
- fantastic, secluded beach
- good water sport options including snorkelling
- great food with many, many local options
- large, well-appointed rooms
- attentive and entertaining staff
- personalized service
- felt we enjoyed a "true" island experience

Cons
- mosquitoes! Sleeping under a mosquito net is HIGHLY recommended.
- bit of a drive to get to attractions such as the volcano

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank m2d2H

Thank you very much for posting your review following your stay with us at Cap Maison

It was great to read that you all had such a great time during your vacation spent with us and we all very much hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to St Lucia and Cap Maison in the future

Reviewed May 16, 2014

First of all, I would like to thank Melissa Zaidmen at Tropical Travelers for helping us plan our Fabulous Honeymoon. It was everything that we could have wanted and more. Cap Maison was a fabulous resort with the most friendly staff. It was a beautiful resort and very well maintained. We started off with a junior ocean suite which was amazing but they upgraded us to a villa that had our own personal pool which really topped the whole experience, it was a huge villa! Honestly more than we needed but we made the most of it for sure! The food was fabulous but smaller portions than we would have liked. We did not do the all inclusive and ended up coming out much better even with our excursion in the same budget. I do not recommend planning any excursions until you get to the resort because they are very good and planning excursions with reputable companies. The concierge has your safety and best interest at hand. We had a couples massage at the resort and it was very relaxing and well worth it! They arranged all of our transportation and "Charlie" was the best taxi driver ever and very reliable! Cap Maison also has its own private beach which is tucked away in its own little cove. Great reefs for snorkeling, beach bar and restaurant for lunch. We splurged and took the private Cap Maison boat tour to the Pitons for the day and it was well worth it. We were able to tour the Pitons, mud-bath, snorkel, and have lunch and drinks which were all included in the price. I do not think it is necessary for a sunset cruise if you stay at Cap Maison because the sunset is right there! We did take a few day trips to Rodney Bay for shopping and dinner. The "Blue Olive" and "Big Chef" are two fabulous restaurants! Overall this was a trip of a lifetime and we really didn't need to leave the resort! Highly Recommended!

9  Thank Carolyn T

I would like to thank you for choosing us to spend your Honeymoon and I am delighted that you both had such a great time and I agree that the boat trip down south is a great experience - Charlie was delighted that you mentioned him within your review!

I do hope that we will be able to look after you in the future

Reviewed May 11, 2014

We stayed at this hotel over the new year period. On arrival, we were warmly greeted and offered a welcome drink. As we had travelled a long way, we opted for room service on our first night and took the opportunity to have an early night. We found the wraps we ordered quite bland and when we called the restaurant to advise that we had left the tray outside once finished (as they suggested we do), they seemed nonplussed by this. The tray was still outside our door when we left to go to breakfast the following morning. Breakfast itself is a decent offering with a reasonable choice of fruit etc on the buffet and a chef on hand to cook omelettes and eggs to order. These chefs were without a doubt the most helpful and pleasant staff in the restaurant at breakfast time, though they had a tendency to go missing every so often. On day one, we both ordered tea and it arrived with hot milk. I tried to catch the attention of the waiter who served it to ask for cold milk and she returned a while later with a notepad saying, I couldn't take your order without this. I took from this that she had been aware of me trying to get her attention although she had not acknowledged that and continued to walk away to retrieve her notepad which I find particularly rude. I said that we weren't ready to order but would like cold milk for our tea. She told me that some people prefer hot milk and that's how they serve it. I asked again for cold milk and eventually got it. The next day I specifically said we would like the tea with cold milk and the waiter that day responded by saying that of course the tea would come with cold milk; it always does - go figure. I could cite several examples like this. All in all, we found that the staff were inclined to congregate around the till and it was difficult to find someone to assist you. On occasion, we were almost made to feel like we were interrupting conversations and whatever important work was going on around this seemingly fascinating till. No-one asked how our meals were or, once we had them, if we needed anything else. I can see from previous management responses that the reason no-one asks about how one's meal is, is due to the fact that this hotel prides themselves on an exceptional standard of food. What a pity. Had anyone taken the time to visit our table during the two occasions we had dinner in the restaurant or I would have been able to tell them things like our salt cellar was empty, we would have liked to order more vegetables as the portions weren't large enough for us and I'd have liked a second coffee after dinner.... The exception to this was when a member of the management team was in the restaurant at which time it was like being in a different hotel where the service magically went up a couple of notches. The other problem with the Cliff restaurant was the birds. While there will always be birds around in an outdoor restaurant, the fact that service is quite slow and a lot of time is taken to clear tables means you will often find yourself at breakfast sitting next to a table of birds eating your departed neighbours' breakfast remains. They also sit on beams and light fittings around the restaurant and there is bird faeces visible on these fixtures.

There is, as always, an exception to every rule. The restaurant at the beach here was outstanding. The first night we went, we had the tasting menu which was really wonderful. Beautiful seafood and steak and delicious cocktails to wash it all down. The team working here were fantastic, really welcoming and such fun. They created a great atmosphere to go with the great food, so much so that we ate there the following night as well and recommended it to several other guests. It's unfortunate that they only open from Thursday to Saturday.

The pool area of this hotel is nice and quiet and the cooler boxes with bottled water delivered to you at your sun lounger is a nice touch. I'd like to see more care taken with the sun loungers which are left out overnight and inevitably get soaked which is unpleasant when you want to use them the next morning.

We had to move rooms during our stay here. Having complained to reception for a number of days running about broken window blinds, noise, a serious mosquito problem and a shower with poor pressure combined with unpredictable changes in water temperature, no action was taken to resolve the issues. The final straw came when the shower room ceiling began to leak above the toilet and we insisted on changing rooms. Our new room was really nice and had a great view which we really enjoyed. Overall the rooms are decent but this is by no means a 5-star offering. They are described as having bathrooms with walk-in shower which I would take to mean there is a bath and a shower (after all, it's not a bathroom if there's no bath in it) but we had no bath which I found really disappointing in a hotel at this level. I found that as long as housekeeping left three bottles of something in the bathroom, they weren't so concerned whether you had three shampoos, or two shower gels or whatever so again my view was that the attention to detail just wasn't there.

The setting here is really stunning with amazing views from the pool area and the restaurant and a lovely small cove with private beach. Its just a real pity that the hotel doesn't live up to its 5-star billing.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SouthSideSpinner

Thank you for your review following your stay with us last January

Clearly you have pin pointed some areas that were under par whilst you were with us and I am sorry that we did not meet your expectation in certain areas

Thank you for trying to create a balance and I am pleased that liked the hotels stunning location and that you enjoyed the Naked Fisherman Restaurant

We always aim to provide great service and we would dearly love to have the opportunity of changing your impression and if you are ever planning another visit to the Island of St Lucia we would very much like to take care of you and show you Cap Maison in her true colours

Kind regards

Reviewed May 1, 2014

We (me and my wife, my friend and his wife) stayed in the resort in Dec 2013 for about 5-days. St Lucia is a very beautiful place and Cap Maison fits the bill perfectly. We got villas (which were 3-storey) - the ground floor has a small kitchen, a dining space and a balcony overseeing the ocean, the first floor was a bedroom with a balcony and the top floor being a terrace. The view of the ocean is just superb in the morning, it feels you are just in front of the ocean. Cap Maison has a small beach, nothing comparable to the beach of Jade Mountain (where we drove down and worth a visit) or Sugar Beach, but a small cute one with a good bar. Other good facilities:
(1) Swimming pool - very nice, would recommend going during sunset,
(2) Breakfast area - full view of the ocean view, good food,
(3) Friendly staff - helped us in organizing the trips to Piton, Sunset cruise, Zip line.
Negatives: The service during dinner could have been much better. I presume the hotel is slightly understaffed and hence takes a lot of time in delivering food. We hired a car and used to drive down to the city center (10-15 mins drive) where you can find some good restaurants.

Overall would strongly recommend Cap Maison as a holiday location.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
#2 of 13 in Gros Islet
Ladera Resort
Ladera Resort
#2 of 11 in Soufriere

Been to Cap Maison? Share your experiences!