Cap Maison
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$559
Stephanie's Hotel(Gros Islet)
$60
Hotels.com
blu St Lucia(Gros Islet)
$144
$107
Villa Cleopatra(Gros Islet)(Great Value!)
$696
Orbitz.com
Palm Haven Hotel(Gros Islet)
$156
$130
$374
$192
The Ginger Lily Hotel(Gros Islet)(Great Value!)
$114
Bookit.com
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsthe cliffnaked fishermanrooftop poolrock maisonbeach barvilla suiterodney baybeach packageour honeymoonst luciaprivate yachtsecluded beachglass of champagnemosquito netboutique hotelfull kitchensmugglers cove
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We had a great trip to Cap Maison the week of June 17th 2013. For perspective on my review, we have also stayed at Anse Chastanet and multiple other high-end all-inclusives in the Carribbean (i.e. the Excellence resorts).

Our room was a suite with private pool on the ground level, on top of the bluff that overlooks the beach. This was a great location on the property and the room was perfect. The amenities (kitchen, etc.) were more than ample for our needs. The room was clean and comfortable. We loved to open the back doors and let the breeze through. Even though our pool was right on a small common area, we enjoyed a lot of privacy with a screen of tall plants and we rarely saw anyone walk by our pool area. I would recommend a room with private pool based on our experience, as the public pools are small with little privacy. Granted, we never saw the public pools crowded at any time!

Most importantly, the staff at Cap Maison was fantastic. The people are very kind, generous, helpful and generally focused on excellent service. One thing to note as that we are generally very friendly and outgoing ourselves, taking an honest interest in the people we meet and asking about their lives and families. This makes our experience much more rich and rewarding. At Cap Maison, this was a highlight of our trip, as we gained insight to the St. Lucian culture through these interactions. I think this honest person-to-person interaction contributed tremendously to the service we received. Try it and you might have the same experience.

My wife and I really wanted to focus on unplugging and relaxing this trip, so we spent every day relaxing on the beach, swimming in our pool, napping, snorkeling, kayaking, and chatting with the staff and guests. We are normally active and adventurous, but we chose to lay low at Cap Maison and we are glad we did. If you want some action, there are many opportunities to venture into town or take an excursion around the island (see side note below).

Beach and Beach Bar: Simple, casual. The beach is really nice, but remember it's not white sand here, and Cap Maison does not bring white sand in on trucks like some other St. Lucia resorts. The water is still clear and the snorkeling is decent. You have to go out 50 yards or so and "turn the corner" to get to the good stuff!

There were few, but enough, loungers and shade structures. No trouble for us finding a good spot. There is a kayak, sailboat, windsurfers, etc for your use.

The beach bar is simple and effective. Cold Pitons, fresh fruit drinks, etc. Try a small drink of the local spice rum. It is fantastic!

We really enjoyed hanging around and chatting with the staff on the beach: Charlene, Evans, Dunstan, Vanessa, Greg (Craig?)....they were all so friendly, professional and fun. Vanessa and Charlene were both very generous and insisted on sharing their home cooked lunch and homemade smoothies when I innocently inquired about their meals and culture. This is the type of friendliness and generosity I am talking about! These ladies are truly an asset to this resort, as are all of the other employees we encountered on the beach.

The food: We are generally foodies, cooking at home every night and enjoying nice restaurants often. My wife has high standards as she grew up in New Orleans. The meals here were fantastic and unique. Each night we had the opportunity to try something new, while still assured of having something familiar on the menu if we needed it. We loved every meal, from the daily breakfast room service that was cooked to order and delivered poolside to the elegant dinners at the Cliffs. At the beach bar for lunch, the preparation is very simple, with fresh fish, greens and fruit, but it is still perfect! Don't delay though, as there is often a limited amount of certain types of the fish for the day. I recommend trying both the beach bar and the restaurant for lunch.

A special call out to Sous Chef Nico. When we saw the creole tasting menu for dinner one night we asked a waitress whether they had the delicious St. Lucian creole red beans as part of the menu (wife is from New Orleans, remember?). She tracked down Nico the sous chef, who made a special effort AND a special trip to the store (probably with his own money) to prepare a delicious red beans dish later in the week especially for us. In conversation we learned he was most likely the cook at Anse Chastanet who initially exposed us to the St. Lucian version of this dish when we visited there for our honeymoon years ago. Small world. This little gem of coincidence was uncovered only due to the excellent service and generosity of the staff at Cap Maison. A nice touch and a great personal memory.

There is no real nightlife here at Cap Maison, as the restaurant bar shuts down between 10 and 11. By that time each night, we were ready to turn in anyway. They had some type of low-key live music in the restaurant every night, which provided a nice ambiance.

This place was perfect for what we wanted. If you want a big cheesy "do the group limbo" resort experience and night club action, there are better places for you. Cap Maison is perfect for relaxing, unwinding, pampering yourself and reconnecting as a couple or family.

A side note, we had great car transfer service from Janus Guyan's company, Real St. Lucian tours. We were lucky enough to have Janus himself drive us to/from Cap Maison. He is a young ambitious entrepreneur making a nice business for himself in the transfer and tour business. I would call him first for your transfer or if you want to take a tour/excursion around the island.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Dan W
RossCS, General Manager at Cap Maison, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Thank you very much for posting your review following your stay with us at Cap Maison

Your review captures the essence of what we try to create and I agree with you that interaction with our staff is a great way to get a true feel of this wonderful island of St Lucia

We will be enlarging - slightly - our kitchen/grill on the beach and it would great to incorporate more "local" traditional lunch items which you came to enjoy

We very much hope to welcome you both back to Cap Maison in the future

Kind regards

Ross

Reviewed July 21, 2013

My husband and I were married at Cap Mason on 7/13/13. The duration of our stay was 7/10/13 through 7/15/13, Room 50. I was very happy with most of the arrangements however, our breakfast in bed was a disaster! They brought up half the breakfast and then the champagne with other half 40 minutes later. When we checked out, instead of giving us a full credit for the breakfast considering we had an all-inclusive package, they only offered a $80 credit for the champagne. Also, we left a comment card for the manager and he never bothered to call! Other than that, we were happy, I guess we will try Sandals for our anniversary.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Nika H
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Cap Maison is such a wonderful place! Let me begin by saying that this is not a stereotypical all inclusive and if you are looking for a place with a lot of built in games, multiple buffeted theme restaurants and such, this beautiful resort is not the place for you. We stayed there for our tenth anniversary and are ready to go back, though we just arrived home yesterday!

Resort-Beautiful grounds! The landscaper should be commended...amazing! Wonderful champagne welcome from a very efficient staff!

Location- The resort is a good 1.5 hours from the airport. It is not nearly as bad a drive as we feared. Though, if you are very prone to motion sickness, take Dramamine or something. Rodney Bay and Gros Islet are fun little towns with lively restaurants and a Friday Night street party which we were repeatedly invited to by friendly locals. We felt absolutely safe at all times.

Rooms- We had room number 3 which was a beautiful rooftop terrace suite with a pool. It was absolutely gorgeous with breathtaking views. It overlooked the pool and restaurant which could be an issue for some if they require absolute quiet. (though it was never very noisy at all) It was perfect for us but there are plenty of others with equally good views away from the main area. The room itself was as large as most one bedroom apartments and larger if you are going by NYC standards. Really beautiful rooms with a large terrace on the roof and a nice pool. The bed was super comfortable and a huge bathroom! The room was very clean and in regard to the reviewer who said that it appeared run down, he must not be accustomed to the beating that homes take from salt and sand in ocean environments. We did not see anything that looked run down and everywhere we looked, friendly people were doing touch up painting, varnishing and doing all the little things that keep a property looking lovely.

Restaurant- Best food we have eaten in quite a while and we are very picky about food! The breakfasts were amazing with so many choices that I couldn't even try them all. Dinner was delicious and there were so many options and rotations of dishes that my only complaint is that I couldn't try them all! Robinson, the sommelier is so knowledgable and such a fun guy! We loved talking to him! All of the staff at the restaurant were very kind and helpful.

Beach- We loved hanging out at the beach. It was small but plenty big for relaxing. Craig and Charlene were so much fun to hang out with and it was really cool to get to know them. They are awesome! Craig gave us a snorkeling lesson on our first day and was so patient and fun even though I am sure he was secretly rolling his eyes that I was such a scaredy cat! He was very knowledgable, definitely made us feel comfortable, and my husband was hooked and can't wait to go again! Yes, there were local families enjoying the beach off to the side, but we had no problem with it as it is really theirs anyway! Not to mention it was a fun study of their culture as they dived for fish and the children played.

Staff- The most kind and friendly people you will ever meet! Seriously, all of the St. Lucians were like this. I was amazed at the generosity of the people on the island to each other as well as to outsiders. Even if it wasn't in their job description, they would stop what they were doing and help you right away. It was as if they didn't want you to lift a finger on your vacation but they were such amazing people that by the end of our trip I felt like I should jump in and help set up at the beach or take my dishes to the kitchen because I felt so at home.

It is important when going to this or any resort, that you suspend your need for perfection at every turn. Were there times when dinner was a bit slow coming out of the kitchen or we didn't have an extra towel? Sure, but rather than get irritated we took a sip of wine and watched the ocean and reconnected with each other without the distraction of kids and cell phones etc. Once you relax and get on "island time" it is the most beautiful place in the world and you will love the resort and the people! We are looking forward to visiting again and maybe even bringing our children during the summer!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
RossCS, General Manager at Cap Maison, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review following your 10th Anniversary celebration visit with us at Cap Maison.

I think you have captured the essence of both Cap Maison and St Lucia beautifully and thank you for doing so

I was speaking to Craig this morning after reading your review and remembers you both very well and he sends his regards and he was very pleased that you had recognized him as well as the rest of the team at Cap Maison

We very much look forward to your return visit

Kind regards

Ross

Reviewed July 9, 2013

A nice place on the north side of the island. Rooms are ok. Really nothing to write home about. The staff are average and smile but not much else. The Food and Beverage manager is however exceptional and knows his stuff. He has created a formidable wine list and together with the head chef a great restaurant. Sadly the rest of the rest is tired and average.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank SimonLiebel
AdamGobat, Owner at Cap Maison, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Thank you for your comments below. We are delighted you enjoyed our food and wine experience which we all take tremendous joy in delivering as food and wine lovers ourselves. Your other comments are disappointing, in particular those on the staff and rooms which, being unspecific in nature, are a little hard to respond or react to. They certainly don't reflect the usual reaction we get and there are some room features, for example, such as suite sizes, linen quality, panoramic ocean views and private roof terraces with swimming pools, that we feel are certainly not average in any hotel context. That said, we regret you did not enjoy all elements of the property.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

I have been planning for 3 years for our 25th wedding anniversary and after a lot of research have chosen Cap Maison. The reviews are excellent however, the planning and communication are frustrating at best! My countdown is on (11 more days) and we will be renewing our wedding vows but I haven't heard from anyone at the resort other than the photographer has been booked and the flowers have been ordered. Not sure if there is anything else I need to worry about. Also, the website is EXTREMELY frustrating! The conceirge sent me a spa menu back on May 9th and I was told by Kristal that it was the updated menu, however, as of yesterday, the website still had different prices and I am not sure which one is correct. I emailed the spa according to the pricing menu but it was an invalid address. The food menus on the website do not load (or are not there) and the few that are there, are outdated from last fall. Overall, I am extremely excited about the trip but am nervous because of the disorganization with the website and staff commucation. (Kudos to Matt in F&B..he was extremely helpful. He booked the Rock for our anniversary dinner however, failed to mention the additional fee for this location that I have been told about).

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank karla p
AdamGobat, Owner at Cap Maison, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

Thank you for your review and comments below. We are very much looking forward to having you stay with us and are delighted you have chosen our lovely property after all your research! I see that you have spoken at length now to Kristal and that all appears to be in order. It has also been double checked by management so you can relax and enjoy the countdown to your stay. Your comments on some differences between the web site spa menu and resort brochure have also already been actioned and the site has been updated. With regards to the Cliff at Cap menus, we are unique in that we offer a daily changing fresh menu (island produce also varies) so the online menus include most if not all the items seen online over time but always the in the same delicious style.