“Oh My!”
Review of Cap Maison

Cap Maison
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Cap Estate
Reviewed May 3, 2013

What a superlative experience we just had at this excellent resort/hotel!

My fiancée and myself had our first visit to St. Lucia a week ago and we were lucky enough to be able to afford the exclusive, private and luxurious Cap Maison establishment. Lets be frank: this is high-end accommodation and service, set in fastidiously maintained gardens and with a wealth of private amenities including a top-class restaurant, secluded beach bar, well-appointed gym, luxury spa and multiple pools and lounging spots. Places like this don't come cheap and we did get a special rate. However I would still have considered it to be money more than well-spent, even at the full price.

We got out of the resort a few times for daytime and night-time activities but really, we would have been happy staying on the resort grounds because the ,'feel' of the place was just so tranquil, yet friendly and warm.

I want to give a special mention to the following cap maison team members who gave outstanding service, entertainment and who were just damned nice people to interact with:

Matthew - assistant manager and super-nice gent
Ross - general manager good guy to chat with and runs a tight ship!
Craig - Beach bar manager, pool tech and all-round legend
And the chef from Wales whose name I sadly forgot.

We had such a good time that we caught the St. Lucia bug big time. We will be back, baby!

Alex

Room Tip: Get one with a plunge pool.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
RossCS, General Manager at Cap Maison, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Dear Alex

Thanks very much for your review following your recent stay and it was lovely to read that you had a great relaxing stay with us and that Cap Maison suited what you needed from your important holiday time, away from work etc

Even though you were very comfortable within Cap Maison - it was good to read that you did venture out a little and saw some more the island

We very much look forward to welcoming you both back in the future

With kind regards

Reviewed April 24, 2013

If you are looking for somewhere to chill out then St. Lucia is the perfect island. Cap Maison just doubles the pleasure. Idyllically situated in the North West tip of the island, Cap Maison is saddled between two polar opposites of the all inclusive market. (Budgie) Smugglers Cove is great if queuing for your drinks, delivered in small plastic cups is your thing whilst The Body Holiday provides an up market sporty/spa ambiance with good dining options.

But, if you enjoy privacy, are in good company and have a few good books, there is little reason to leave the hotel or your villa for that matter. Cap Maison is a few notches above it's neighbours. We stayed in a spacious three bedroom villa, superbly appointed with a large private terrace/swimming pool and sea views 'to die for'. The restaurant offered very high quality food although there appeared to be little variation which might have been an issue if you dined there most nights. The beach bar provided daily BBQ food that was simple and consistently delicious.

The beach, approached via 92 steps, may be one of the quietest in St. Lucia. All beaches in St. Lucia are open to the public but most of the time it was occupied by only a few Cap Maison residents and a brief flurry of Budgie Smuggler escapees in the morning.

As there is an understandable tendency to overindulge, the 92 steps to and from the beach provides an interesting aerobic challenge for those who are suitably motivated. A few speedy ascents and descents in the morning will help justify breakfast or that essential mid-morning Piton beer (or both). If that is not enough, the well equipped and underused gym is a useful addition.

Rodney Bay is a 10-15 minute taxi ride away and has a reasonable mix of restaurants with Big Chef and Buzz being two very good options. At the Body Holiday, Tao is the pick of the crop offering imaginative Far East cuisine. It is always popular and Cap Maison will do their best to get a booking. However, what seems to work best is turn up at the restaurant any time after 20.30 and they will find a table. Flames of the Grill in Gros Islet (5-10 minutes by taxi) is popular with the locals - always a good sign and definitely recommended.

Cap Maison has it's own cabin cruiser, for use only by residents and is reasonably priced. It was not available on the day we wanted so we charted a speedboat and were taken on a speedy tour of most of the bays and hotels between Cap Maison and Soufriere, culminating in a visit to the thermal waterfalls in the shadow of the Pitons, a visit to the volcano and mud pools and lunch in a local restaurant in Soufriere. All of these were worthwhile although I would recommend that you get your organiser to ensure that you do not arrive at the mud pools alongside 200 cruise ship parolees.

On our arrival, we had booked a helicopter transfer. The 10 minute journey was very enjoyable, swooping at ridge height over the dense rainforest. We took less than 20 minutes to pass through immigration, collect our luggage, clear customs and arrive at the helicopter desk. However, the 25 minute wait followed by a walk across the car park, two minute car journey to another part of the airport, 10 minute security check to allow six passengers and minimal luggage airside and then another taxi ride from Castries to Cap Maison rather tempered the feeling that we were saving time. Normally the journey from Castries airport is about 20 minutes but on Good Friday, this took almost an hour. If helicopters were able to land on or near the hotel I would recommend it as a good way to save time. With current flight restrictions in place I would suggest that it may be worthwhile if viewed as an experience, but as a hotel transfer, the local 70-90 minute taxi ride is probably best.

Would I consider going back? - YES
Will I rebook? - YES, ALREADY HAVE

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Robert C

Thank you for posting your review following your holiday with your family

I think you gave a very good overview of your experience with us and encapsulated the essence of what Cap Maison offers to its guests and what they might expect when they stay with us

It's fantastic that you have already rebooked for a future stay and the steps to the beach will be awaiting your daily work out!

Reviewed April 21, 2013

My husband and I just returned from St. Lucia for our honeymoon last week. We stayed at Cap Maison for 6 nights. It was the perfect vacation, Cap Maison making it very special. The rooms are beautiful. We had the most basic room, garden room. Hardly! We could still see the ocean from it, which was great. We we not used to being waited on hand and foot, so it took a while to get used to. What made Cap Maison so wonderful were the Lucians who work at Cap Maison. We got a "hello" every time we walked past a staff member at the hotel. I cannot name the number of times the staff went above and beyond what we would expect. Cap Maison is PERFECT for those people seeking a quiet, beautiful tropical hotel with character that does not feel like a cruise ship (BodyHoliday next door feels like a cruise ship). You will enjoy the beach, small pools and option of day excursions.

My husband and I are also the type of people to smile, shake your hand, and ask for your name. Once this step was done, we found that the Lucian's are most likely the most pleasant, friendly people we have ever met. Any questions you had, they would answer them and more.
The restaurant was excellent, often crowded but a beautiful view. I would recommend asking the Lucian's where the locals eat. You will get the full St. Lucia experience but immersing yourself in the culture and stepping out of your comfort zone. Rodney bay is about 10 min away with many restaurants. The area feels very safe.

Not a good place to bring kids under 13 unless you have a room with a private pool. Everything is geared toward adults.

Room Tip: Some garden rooms you can still see the ocean (Garden rooms are the least expensive)
1  Thank JPO1101
Reviewed April 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed in a 1 bedroom mini villa - very large - nice accomodations - staff is super friendly and helpful - the morning staff in the restaurant were always cheerful and friendly. Would recommend the beach side lunch - very well done and a great staff as well. Beautiful grounds and pool area - also have a quiet, more private pool as well. The Tapas dinner was excellent and we enjoyed the manager's reception. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If I were to stay here again I would choose a private pool suite with ocean view -they appear to be...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review following your stay with us and thanks also for making the journey all the way from California to stay with us - it is very much appreciated

It is very nice that you highlighted our staff as they are a great team and I so much enjoy working with them - St Lucian's are such natural empathetic people they natural "get" service without ever feeling that it has been acquired through training

Thanks for recommending us - we could not ask for more

With Kind regards

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Imagine you're dreaming of the most beautiful hotel resort on the most beautiful island. Now imagine you're not dreaming. That's pretty much what Cap Maison is like. Gorgeous doesn't begin to describe how appealing this place is. The room reminded me of an Andalusian property in the south of Spain. The pool overlooking the ocean was nearly surreal, it was so perfect. The food was fantastic, served at our seat near the edge of a cliff overlooking the water, the sounds of the waves meeting the shore... why would you ever want to leave? I know I didn't. Now I need to figure out how soon I can get back.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ariverax

Thank you very much for posting your review following your stay with us in March this year

It was great to read your comments and we too think that Cap Maison is a special place, calming, in a great location

We would love to have you back to stay and look forward to your return at some point in the future

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Matthew,

My wife, Lauren, and I stayed with you at Cap last week for 3 nights of our honeymoon. You may recall my brother organized a private dinner on the porch of our villa. The day we left you told me what Lauren would be the thinking the entire way to Ladera (“is Ladera better than Cap?”) and also to email you with any thoughts. You were right on multiple accounts, she was thinking that the entire way and also in that the view at Ladera is breathtaking. We enjoyed our stay at Ladera for sure but the reason I felt compelled to write you was to let you know that the staff, customer service and overall “guest experience” at Cap trumped Ladera. Although the staff at Ladera was nice, we never felt the level of welcome or comfort we felt at Cap. You and your entire staff was first class through and through. One waiter/bartender/staff, Siri (sp?), even remembered my name from the very beginning. Considering the number of guests with which he must interact, that was most impressive to me. In conclusion, what Ladera has in a view, Cap more than compensates for with the level of luxury in the buildings, rooms and meals but most importantly in customer service. Best of luck to you and Cap and we look forward to returning as soon as we’re able!

Cheers,
Nick Courtney

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nick C
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Our second half of our St. Lucia experience brought us to this beautiful resort. It reminded me of the south of Spain. The hotel was beautiful, my accomodations were first class.. The staff was wonderful and the food was excellent. We had a huge apartment style room that overlooked the pool and ocean. It was a perfect way to end our St Lucia experience. We will return

Room Tip: We booked our trip thur American express and they did a wonderful job.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for writing your review following your stay with us and it was great to read that you had such a wonderful time!

Thanks for choosing Cap Maison and St Lucia and we do hope that you will pay us another visit in the future

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cap Estate
Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort
Ti Kaye Resort & Spa
Ti Kaye Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Anse Cochon

Been to Cap Maison? Share your experiences!