“Beautiful accommodations - beach is really a small shady cove”
Review of Cap Maison

Cap Maison
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Cap Estate
South Carolina
“Beautiful accommodations - beach is really a small shady cove”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Think of a 5 star cruise ship and you're staying in the nicest suite on the ship. The villas are awesome, the service personnel are very polite and quick to respond when called upon. The spa services are excellent. The food and drink are above average and what you would expect at a high end resort. However, I am giving Cap Maison just an "average" rating because there are way too many 4 and 5 star ratings on here that rave about the above and either leave out or gloss over the following;
This is not the place to stay if you are looking for a fun in the sun "beach" vacation. Of course, there is plenty of sun to enjoy, but you''ll find yourself poolside simply for the convenience of not having to walk to the far end of the resort and up and down many many steps to the very small and often shady cove that they call a beach.
I don't believe a response from management is necessary because I don't think there is anything they can say that will change the fact that this is a cliff side resort without a real beach within miles.

Room Tip: Not a BEACH resort.
Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank river999
RossCS, General Manager at Cap Maison, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your stay with us last December

I would like to thank you for expressing how pleased you were with your awesome villa and the personal and polite service you received whilst you were with us and that the Spa experience was excellent and lastly that you thought that the food was above average for what you would have expected from a high end resort

I have to be honest that I then started to lose the plot when you then went on to say that "there were way too many 4 and 5 star ratings and that you would give it a three” which clearly does not reflect what you have stated of your experience

Just to confirm that the furthest that one has to walk to get to the beach within the resort is approximately 200 yards - our beach Smugglers Cove is exactly how we describe it as a beautiful natural Cove with a cute bar, great guys working there and some of the best snorkeling on the island - many guests enjoy the peace and beauty of the beach as is reflected in our guests reviews - we have never described or tried to sell anything which differs from this

Ross Stevenson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Virginia Water, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 14, 2013

My daughter and I have just had the most relaxing week at Cap Maison. It was not easy to find a hotel for "non couples" on St Lucia. A & K booked the holiday for us and it was perfect in every way.
Dey and her team were always friendly, efficient and obliging, in fact so were all the staff. Nothing was ever too much trouble. Faultless service all the time
We had the most wonderful villa with excellent views, clean well equipped and comfortable. Great beds and sun beds.

Would recommend this hotel to anyone. Can't wait to go back

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and sunny
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
RossCS, General Manager at Cap Maison, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review following your stay with us

I am delighted that you enjoyed your vacation and that you would return and recommend us to your friends - we could not ask for more!

England
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Cap Maison Stay 26-28 January 2013

This was our third stay at Cap Maison and was very good indeed.

We arrived at around lunchtime. Check in was very smooth and we were shown to our 1-bedroom room with a nice view of the sea. It was bigger than I expected and very clean (this was a remark I would make for our entire stay). Bathroom well equipped. Complimentary rum punch and biscuits

Lunches were lovely and the new tapas lunchtime menu is very interesting. I love the opportunity to have 2 or 3 small, high-quality dishes. This is something Cap excels at. Ambience in the cliff top restaurant with the sea pounding on the rocks below was great.

The guest chef evening on the Saturday was good. We invited friends staying at Windjammer Landing to join us. We were assigned a centre table very near the sax player (Rob Zi). Good as he was, the music was too loud for us to have a proper conversation with our friends and we asked to move. We were asked to wait in the bar and, at 8:45pm were given a very nice table on the upper level overlooking the right hand of the resort towards Martinique. My one criticism was that, due to the number of people attending, the service was slightly erratic when it came to pairing up the food and the wines. Ideally the appropriate wine should be served slightly before the food arrives. In the case of the main course it came just before we finished it. The food was excellent however and we had a very nice evening this was followed by a very peaceful night’s sleep.

We went to the beach the following day and met up with the beach staff who cover watersports and serving drinks. They work hard but had an enthusiasm for the job. Craig, Dunstan and Charlene were all good.

I love the fact that Grey Goose and Bombay Sapphire are served at the beach. When paying as we go it is greatly appreciated that we can get high-end drinks on the beach as well as in the restaurant. Other so-called 5 star resorts should take note of this!

Lunch at the Cliff and this time we had the pulled pork and jerk lobster, both of which were excellent. Service was also very good.

We then changed villas to number 31 which was gorgeous with a Jacuzzi on the upstairs balcony. The villa was in very good condition and very clean. The bed was incredibly comfortable and, in this villa, the airconditioning was just right. We had it set on 17 degrees which was perfect for sleeping when combined with the warm air that gets through the closed shutters.

Dinner at the Cliff was again, excellent. We continued the Tapas theme and went for 3 starters but with the Beef Kobe Cappacio as a main. This worked well. Good service again. However, there were some minor issues. We saw breadsticks being offered to other tables. We did not get any. We were not offered bread either. When asking we were told chef was cooking up some more. We ended up having bread not breadsticks. At least it was freshly made!

Breakfast on Monday morning. The seafood eggs Benedict was very good.

Some criticism of breakfast. There appeared to be a build-up in the kitchen and we waited over 20 minutes for our order. When it arrived the eggs and bacon had obviously been cooked previously and did not appear to be “cooked to order”. The seafood had been cooked fresh. We heard other people complaining and, although the staff did their best they did look harassed! The complaints were mainly coming from people who had trips scheduled and wanted to get on with their day.

Checkout was interesting. This may have been my fault because I had not filled in the paperwork in time due to being too relaxed!

When getting the bill I noticed that we have been charged for breakfast on the Monday and Tuesday when it should have been included. The receptionist made a call (probably to the accountant) and discovered that we should not have been charged. It was amended but took some time and I was made to feel rather uncomfortable during the wait.. .

So, in conclusion, a very nice and relaxing stay.
The food has improved
Housekeeping was excellent

All the waiting staff were friendly. Unfortunately, because they were not wearing badges I got confused over the names. I think Keisha/Kiva who looked after us in the restaurant used to work at the Royal and she was lovely but they were all good.

The last notwithstanding, staying at Cap Maison was a brilliant end to our holiday. We may need to come for a week next time as Virgin are cancelling Tuesday flights so may have to extend our stay!!

Room Tip: The one bedroom suites are very nice and the jacuzzi villas even better. The rooftop pool villas are...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank St-Lucia_Enthusiast
RossCS, General Manager at Cap Maison, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Thank you very making a third journey to come and stay with us - we appreciate that very much!

Thank you also for your detailed report following your stay with - it is always very useful as it allows us to fine tune our service.

It was great to read that you enjoyed our new style "tapas" lunch menu and that you felt an improving quality in food overall - Craig was pleased to read that!

My apologies for the service issues at breakfast and we will double our efforts to ensure that we achieve consistency in this area. The evening with the "Guest Chef: was a little stretched as we had 80 patrons reserved and ended up with 110 which made things a little tight and I have also spent time re-coaching our front desk staff

Great to read that overall you had a brilliant stay and also that you may extend your time with us on your next trip to St Lucia and we all look forward to welcoming you both back

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We had the most wonderful stay at Cap Maison in November. Even though we arrived in the throes of the flu, and the room we initially booked was not what we had envisioned, The manager (Dai) took care of us swiftly and had us in our perfect (even better than what we had hoped for) new room early the next morning.
The Cliff at Cap was fantastic. We ate there every morning for breakfast, once for lunch and most evenings. Very expensive, and like most "gourmet" food it's smaller portions but enables you to have a bit of everything, including dessert, without having to roll yourself out of the restaurant.
We had the complimentary breakfast each morning overlooking the Caribbean sea. I highly recommend trying to traditional St. Lucian breakfast on the menu.
We spent some time on the beach, snorkeling and sloshing around in the ocean.
We absolutely loved this resort and I cannot think of a single negative thing to say about it. Clean and immaculately maintained property, friendly staff, No crowds, no loud music, lots of privacy, lovely rooms, beautiful scenery, private beach...We felt like we had whole the place to ourselves.
Due to us being ill the first couple of days and ten 24 straight hours of monsoon-like downpour, we extended our stay by a couple days so we could do some sightseeing and try out different restaurants around the island. We hired a taxi driver and he took us to the Pitons, the Volcano, sulphur pits (carsickness and sulphur smells do not mix well!), Botanical Gardens, etc.
There would be no other choice if we were to ever return to St Lucia. I'd go back in a second.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I spent three nights here over a long weekend because I had been traveling in the area for work.

This was my second time in St. Lucia; during my last visit, I had stayed at the BodyHoliday LeSport, which is right next to Cap Maison, and is significantly more expensive (but is all-inclusive).

I was skeptical about returning because my stay at BodyHoliday, while very nice, did not particularly leave me longing to return; I would however gladly come back to Cap Maison, for the following reasons:

- The property is stunning. It is new, which makes a big difference. It is beautifully designed; I felt like I was somewhere in the Mediterranean. The architecture and landscaping give the whole place a very understated, elegant feel. It is situated on a bluff overlooking the Caribbean Sea; you can hear the waves crashing day and night, there is a light breeze coming in at all times, and altogether you feel like you have escaped.

- Peace and quiet. The layout of the resort, the positioning of the rooms, the ocean near you at all times makes for a very serene environment. It is really easy to relax here; there aren't too many other guests/rooms, so you never feel like there's a crowd.

- Most tourists seem to come from Europe, with a few Americans here and there. Mostly couples and a few families. I did not see any young kids or teens during my stay. There are a number of large villas on the property that seem to be rented out by families/large groups. The villas have their own pools and facilities, so the groups tend to stay to themselves.

- Attention to detail. The service staff, from the minute you arrive, have a very good ability to "anticipate" your needs. When you are at dinner, for instance, someone will come and turn down your bed.

- Room(s). The rooms are very well designed. High quality materials; the bathrooms are beautiful, with hand-painted tiles. Spacious. Acqua di Parma toiletries are a really nice touch. My favorite part was the fact that the doors to the patio have Venetian blinds and screens on them; you can leave them open at night and let the breeze in / hear the ocean without having bugs come in and still have the A/C on to ensure it's cool and not humid. I haven't slept better in a very long time.

- The food is excellent. It is quite pricey for St Lucia (I live in Manhattan and dinner at the restaurant here = dinner at a good restaurant in the city, c. US $80-100 per person including drinks). Breakfast left a bit to be desired for in terms of selection (included in my rate) but the quality was good.

- The beach: you have to descend a stairwell just outside the property to get to the beautifully secluded beach. It's basically a cove between two big bluffs. The staff is attentive and will set up beach chairs and towels for you. The restaurant serves fresh grilled seafood and drinks. There are usually very few people on the beach, and the swimming is great; the waves aren't anything to worry about. The only complaint about the beach: if you're looking to get some sun, it remains shady until later in the afternoon. You have to sit by the pool to really tan if that's what you're looking for.

- Pools: There are two small pools. You can't really swim laps in them, but who is really looking to do that? One pool is almost barely used and is in a small courtyard (with no view). The other pool is dual layered and looks over the cliff/ocean, and is right next to the main restaurant. Clean towels are always available and the lounge chairs are among the most comfortable I've ever used.

- The gym is quite small but has two treadmills, a few cable machines, and free-weights.

- Did not use the Spa

- Overall the resort has an extremely comfortable, luxurious, quiet feel to it. The staff are very friendly and professional for the most part, and you feel like you can request anything here and expect it to be done properly and timely.

I would highly recommend Cap Maison and will gladly return here again in the future. Castries airport is about a 20-30 min drive depending on traffic. The international airport is however 1.5 hours away and is a $95 transfer via private [luxury] car that the hotel can arrange for you.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
9 Thank xps900
RossCS, General Manager at Cap Maison, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you very much for posting your review following your time spent with us and I was delighted to read that you had such a great time and thank you for sharing your experiences which I know will be very useful to other guests who are contemplating a visit to St Lucia

We do hope to welcome you back in the near future to Cap Maison

With kind regards

Reviewed January 6, 2013

We got married at Cap Maison in April. It was amazing. We decided on Cap Maison because we were looking for a room with a private pool. There are not a lot of accomodations that match that in the Caribbean and neither my husband or I had been to St Lucia previously. I have so much to say about this tremendous experience!
First of all, it is about a 1.5 hour drive from the airport to the hotel. We entertained the idea of doing the helicopter but found out that your bags cannot accompany you on the helicopter, they have to be brought by car and that you still have to be dropped off at the smaller airport, which is about 20 mins from the hotel, so it seemed to defeat the purpose. The roads are incredibly curvy and stop/go and unfortunately I was feeling incredibly carsick by the time we reached the hotel. If you are prone to motion sickness I highly recommend taking something before the airport transfer! We were met at reception with cold towels and cold drinks and shown to our room. We stayed in a 1 BR with rooftop terrace and pool. The room had 1.5 bathrooms, full kitchen, and washer/dryer. The only negative thing I can say about the room is that it is ONLY air conditioned in the bedroom. This was not a problem for us as we spent minimal time in the living room or dining area inside so it was not a bother, but the living space gets VERY warm. The bedroom and master bath were beautiful! Our main living space was on the second floor and then a spiral staircase up to the rooftop. Our second floor had a full balcony/terrace with dining table and rockers where we enjoyed our coffee every morning and even had dinner one evening. The rooftop terrace was more than we had hoped for. Wet bar, dining table (where we had room service one evening), several comfortable cushioned loungers, umbrella, and plunge pool. We were towards the back of the resort, which limited our view from the second floor somewhat but our view from the rooftop was great. It may not have been the best view you can achieve from a rooftop suite but it was away from the restaurant and the resort pools so it was very quiet and peaceful.

Since we had our own private pool we only ventured down to the beach once. If you are beach people it may not be the resort for you. There are many steps down to the beach, and it is a steep climb up the stairs on your way up. The beach is very small but the water is beautiful and there is a beach bar!

The kitchen was helpful, we went to a grocery store in town and got the essentials. The restaurant at the hotel is beautiful, right over the water. The only downfall is it is french cuisine, which is very rich and not easy to eat night after night. We are "lazy" vacationers and were not looking to venture out often for meals, etc so by the end of the trip the food was only so so based on selection.

We golfed at the local golf course (can't remember the name) and they even sent a shuttle from the golf course to pick us up free of charge, it's very close and they have a great restaurant at the club house for lunch - golf course was decent, we were there in the dry season but it was worth it!

The hotel spa was good - not amazing, but very good. We did massage as well as manicures and I got a salt scrub. The spa techs were very talented and pleasant. Like I said, we got married at the resort, at the gazebo, and everything was so smooth. We worked closely with Dey, and I can't say enough wonderful things about her. From the flowers, to scheduling me a hair appt, to being our witness she was so accomodating and made everything so stress free. We truly appreciated all she did for us!

If you are going to visit this resort...splurge and treat yourself to a room with either a private pool or a rooftop pool, it will be a vacation of a lifetime!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jessjk24
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed January 4, 2013

This was the first hotel that we stayed in that did not match the comments on tripadvisor.
My wife and I have been using this site for many years to plan our trips and the reviews had always matched our experiences
This hotel had a lot of extremely positive reviews so my wife decided to stay there instead of jade.
Positives:
-Gorgeous rooms
-Gorgeous views

Negatives
-Not worth 700/night when compared to other places we have stayed in Aruba,Mexico......
-Poor service (some staffers looked like they did not want to be there)
-Food was horrible at best
-Pools not heated

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
13 Thank kisspg10
RossCS, General Manager at Cap Maison, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your stay with us

I am very pleased that you found our accommodation and views to be gorgeous and we are blessed with a great location

Comments on food are very subjective and clearly our restaurant did not appeal to your taste – food and service are generally where we receive the most praise and are certainly key to our ongoing success.

We find that as we have an average annual temperature that does not fall below 30 degrees Celsius (87 degrees Fahrenheit), guests enjoy cooling off in the pools and heating is typically not an issue

As to comments on the pricing, we do regularly benchmark our prices against other similar properties in the Caribbean region and feedback is normally that our pricing is in line. However, some Caribbean islands, especially within the Spanish Caribbean, have lower cost bases and may therefore be cheaper at times.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cap Estate
#6 of 11 in Soufriere
Ladera Resort
Ladera Resort
#2 of 11 in Soufriere

Been to Cap Maison? Share your experiences!