“Needs Improvement”
Review of Cap Maison

Cap Maison
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Cap Estate
Reviewed May 29, 2011

My spouse and I checked in on May 23rd to Cap Maison. After stating several times we had reservations were finally welcomed with 2 glasses of champagne. Our hostess showed us the property and our room. The room was a garden view room, very spacious. It included a complimentary bottle of rum punch, cookies and some other alcohol we haven't still figured out yet.

Overall, I'd rate the hotel as average, definitely not a "5 star." It has the ability to be a 5 star but major issues need to be resolved.

Good Points: Cap Maison I cruise, spaciousness of room, and staff at the main pool
Improvement Areas: 1 trash can in the entire room, quality and selection at breakfast, air condition (it only worked 2 out of our 4 days and we had 2 service calls), towels (we called 3 days to request replacement towel service), and beach service (more like self-service).

Overall, I was disappointed as I expected more.

2  Thank yogimba
RossCS, General Manager at Cap Maison, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and I am very sorry that we slipped in relation to the problems you encountered with your air conditioning unit and towel replenishment within your room.

I have shared your comments with all the team at Cap Maison and once again I sincerely thank you for your feedback

Reviewed May 22, 2011

My husband and I just returned from a wonderful and romantic stay at Cap Maison. We flew from the St. Lucia airport to the resort area by helicopter- which was a pleasure and fealt like an adventure. We really enjoyed seeing the island from above and it was so easy we booked it for the return trip to the airport as well. The resort arranged to pick us up from the helipad by Range Rover. We were greeted at the resort with a glass of champagne and cool towel. We booked an ocenview villa with private pool and we were upgraded to an oceanview villa with rooftop pool. It was amazing. The bed was very comfortable, the bathrooms were beautiful and oh the views! The rooftop pool was incredible and functional. We enjoyed our villa and the roof very much.

The food was delicious. We ate almost every meal at the resort and it was a dining experience every time. The wine list is extensive and the somolier helped us venture out of our usual wines and I discovered several new favorites. the baked goods and deserts are fabulous and baked ffresh daily.

We had a romantic dinner on Rock Maison. It was an incredible night that I will never forget. It was for my 40th birthday and Ross made sure it would be a very special night for us. On return to our villa after our private dinner at Rock Maison we were surprised to see a trail of hundreds of flowers from the door to our bedroom on the bed and into the bathroom. Tea lights were lit along the way and the bathtub was full with bubbles, flowers and candles surrounding it. So beautiful and romantic. Truly a perfect night.

The beach is great. The water sports instructors were so warm and friendly. One of them took us out on the hobie for an hour. The resort has non motorized water sports which are all included. The beach bar is also very nice and the drinks packed a punch.

I could go on and on. We loved the sunset cruise on the resorts sea ray. We rented a private motorized sailboat for just the 2 of us through the front desk. We spent over 8 hours on the beautiful waters of St. Lucia. It was a great way to see the pitons and Marigot Bay.

On our last day we had a couples massage. What an incredible way to end a romantic vacation.

3  Thank jyell
RossCS, General Manager at Cap Maison, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2011

Thank you for choosing to spend your 40th Birthday with us at Cap Maison and I was delighted to read that you had a great time!
I have passed on your appreciation to the team at Cap Maison, especially the creative housekeeping staff!!

Kind Regards

Reviewed May 18, 2011

When you are looking for the ideal honeymoon resort, you just found it. This was paradise!!

I'll start by saying we almost stayed at Sandals, but were looking for something a little more intimate for our honeymoon. I just felt from reading the reviews on here about Sandals that it would feel more like a vacation factory than a honeymoon escape. Cap Maison offers a honeymoon package that made the cost very similar, and the resort blows away anything else on the island, including Jade Mountain. We talked to two of the taxi drivers and they were actually the one's saying some of that. "Why would you want to take a shuttle to the beach at Jade Mountain?", "You're not just staying at the best in St Lucia, it's one of the best in the Caribbean". Their words, not ours.

A ride was there to pick us up at the airport and we enjoyed a scenic ride through St Lucia after our flight. The trip through the island was very scenic and included a road-side stop overlooking a beautiful clifftop cove for a beverage (locally brewed Piton beer). We were greeted at the resort with cool towels upon check-in. We were then escorted to our suite for a tour. We selected the Oceanvilla Suite with jacuzzi and got more than we bargained for. Apparently some of the rooms come with a 3rd floor rooftop terrace and we got the "luck of the draw". It offered a stunning view of the entire resort and caribbean.

The entire staff was friendly and attentive. If we needed it, we got it. The only glitch we had was the wired internet (no wireless) did not work in our room immediately, but was fixed by day 3. We stopped by the front desk to book some fun. We wanted to see the island so planned a day-trip and zipling on two of the days. The day-trip was unbelievable. Andrea signed us up for the "honeymooners special" through treasure tours. I thought it was just a discounted deal or something, but was actually a lot more. We rode a sailboat to the town of Soufriere with about 40 or 50 others. When we got there we were then led to a private van with a personal driver and tour guide for the entire trip. The trip also included a volcanic mud bath in mineral hot springs. It definitely was more intimate.

The food and drinks were extremely well done. Our favorite dinners at the Cliff at the Cap were the Tasters menu, when you got small portions of several menu items with each course. You must try the local drink favorite, rum punch. But beware, they can pack a punch.

As far as the honeymoon package at the resort, it includes some wonderful add-ons. We enjoyed the sunset cruise on their yacht one of the first nights. You get a great look from the water back to the island. This is also where we discovered the rum punch. We didn't realize we got free room-service breakfast, but it is also included (including champagne once). We enjoyed it almost every day on our patio, and the local birds are very interested when you are eating in the morning. The rate is cut 25% for honeymooners. We also got a complimentary dinner and I highly recommend the Rock. It is the same food as the Cliff but you get a private deck overlooking the Caribbean for just the two of you.

Overall this place was one that we will never forget. The service was top-notch. When we wanted to go to dinner at Rodney Bay we just called the front desk and they set everything up (including taxi). Most things are charged to your room making it easier to deal with (including excursions, meals and ride to-from airport).

We felt like VIP's on our entire trip, and we are not VIP's. This was an incredible week that we will remember forever.

Tipping is a tough one in St Lucia. About everywhere we went there is a 10% service charge added. This is a tip shared by all employees of the establishment. By the end I figured leaving 5-10% of bill is good since this puts it in the 15-20% range (with service charge). Bring lots of small bills!!!! They do not have change at most places. Bring a lot of 5's and some 1's. I learned early that taxi's and a lot of bars do not have change, which is tough when you've got 20's and higher. Also it makes it easier to tip for room service. The hotel can change your money to Easter Caribbean (their currency) for you, but all places take US money, they just don't have change all the time.

I will warn you that they say the "rainy season" for St Lucia starts in June or July. But I'm not sure how much rain they average there. I'll also say beware the scammers in town. I was taking a picture of the two of us and someone volunteered to take it. We accepted and he then offered us two small carved pieces of wood. Then he wanted money for the "great picture" he just took. Another guy claimed he worked security at our hotel and hoped we would help make a donation so he could get more cricket balls for his son's game. He did not work security. It was not dangerous at all, but beware.

From our experience, if you have decided on St Lucia but you're not sure which resort, quit thinking about it and just take the best!

Room Tip: Room rates drop May 1st
3  Thank millerohio

What a lovely review for anyone thinking about a honeymoon in St Lucia and you captured what St Lucia has to offer beautifully!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review ...it is very much appreciated!

Reviewed May 17, 2011

We were very pleased with the food, atmosphere,facility and ambience...Staying at Cap Maison was a real pleasure and the professionalism of the management ie Ross was something other companies should learn from..

1  Thank mainlinebooker

Thanks very much for writing your review following your stay with us and I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your vacation time spent with us

We hope to welcome you both back in the future

Reviewed May 16, 2011

My wife and I stayed in Cap Maison for 10 days in April and what a place! Fantastic food with an extensive wine list in the hotel restaurant, the Cliff, combined with excellent service, beautiful location and secluded beach with blue waters were all we needed to have an unforgettable holiday and relaxing stay.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
RossCS, Manager at Cap Maison, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2011

Thank you very much for taking he time to write your review and we are delighted that you enjoyed your time spent with us and we look forward to welcoming you both back at some point in the future

Kind regads

Reviewed May 10, 2011

My husband and I chose initially chose Cap Maison for its beautiful views, architecture, landscaping, and interior design. It seemed perfect for our vow renewal and honeymoon. We never expected to be completely overwhelmed by the magic of our stay or by the generosity and most gracious spirit of so many there. Heartfelt thanks go to Oliver, Ross, Matthew, and Glenroy for helping make our time at Cap Maison more than a dream come true. (Others were a part as well. I wish I knew all the names.)

The day of the vow renewal was the best day of our lives (so far!). I never found out who placed the many many tealights and flower petals all over our suite on the evening of our vow renewal, but an extra special thank you to that person. My husband later said I was so moved that I was speechless.

You arrive as a guest, and you leave feeling like extended family--deeply cherishing the memory and almost sad that you have to check out. Cap Maison is an elegant resort with an owner, management, and staff who understand customer service and seem to truly enjoy helping their guests create a little magic.

I’m blown away too by the many amenities (lost count of how many pools and decks on the property), the free sailing and kayaking down at beach, and the honor system in the lounge. You pour yourself a drink, and you are trusted to write down your name and room number. There’s a fitness room, computer area, and game area within a few steps of the main entrance. Cap Maison feels more like a delightful, comfortable home than a hotel. I can’t say enough good about the place.

I think the only thing that would have made this resort more perfect would be a view of the Pitons! For that view tho, you’ve got other lovely properties down South.

A return trip is already being planned.

Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 3, 2011

My wife and I just returned from 5 nights at Cap Maison. It was excellent. I read MANY reviews and made the decision to select Cap Maison due to the continued positive praise of the grounds, quality of the resort, and upscale yet laid back feel described.

They were all correct. We booked a garden view room but they upgraded us to a Junior Suite without even telling us. Our view was fantastic with ample room and very comfortable bed. I noticed many comments about the GM Ross on tripadvisor and true to form we were greeted by him as we checked in and he was a pleasure to talk with at the weekly reception he holds.

The architecture, gardens, and layout were all perfect. There are only two pool areas (aside from the many rooms with private pools), but as the other reviews stated we were never left without a seat or felt crowded. It was a feeling of just right for most all of the stay. The beach area is not huge, but was never crowded. It had great snorkeling with no seaweed or jelly fish and the setting was perfect.

The only negative I would list would be the breakfast service and the dinner bartender. We had a couple of breakfast issues where we did not receive what we ordered, or it took very long. The dinner bartender did not make good drinks and just seemed to not enjoy his job. I don’t like feeling like I am bothering a bartender for a drink. For the price and quality of everything else around him he should be replaced, possibly with the beach bartenders who were great. Again – these are the only negatives I would list and they are mild.

We also enjoyed a couples massage and it was worth every bit they charged and I would list as a must do on day 1 or 2. The front desk arranged a zip line trip in the rainforest and helicopter transfers for us between UVF and SLU. Again – both were well enjoyed and setup flawlessly.

The quality of the food was excellent at the beach bar, room service, and at the one restaurant “Cliff at Cap”. The Cliff overlooks the ocean along with great sunsets and scenery of the rugged coastline from every seat. We saw Mick Jagger at dinner one night which my wife got a kick out of. Everyone respected his privacy and he was not bothered. The pressure was on for the live entertainment that night. Carl Gustave was playing guitar and singing some original as well as cover tunes during Mick's dinner. We really enjoyed the dinner and entertainment.

It was not cheap, but you get what you pay for and I feel like we absolutely did. Looking forward to returning!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort
Ti Kaye Resort & Spa
Ti Kaye Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Anse Cochon

Been to Cap Maison? Share your experiences!