“Would return but one staff member let the evening down”
Review of The George Hotel

The George Hotel
Ranked #4 of 6 Wedmore B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Somerset
“Would return but one staff member let the evening down”
Reviewed February 5, 2012

We visited the George recently and enjoyed a delicious meal in wonderful surroundings, this place is a fine example of how a country pub should be. The waiter and waitress were very polite and made sure we had everything we needed. Unfortunately our evening was let down by the chef's wife, who obviously takes issue when women speak to her husband. It's a shame an otherwise pleasant evening was ruined.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Finedineandwine
beerhound123, Owner at The George Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2012
Hi,

Firstly I apologise for any upset caused to you from any member of staff. I am not currently aware of any problem occuring that you describe but would very much like to make contact to discuss it with you. If you wish, you could mail me at gordon@thegeorgewedmore.co.uk and it will come directly to me.

Secondly thank you for your otherwise positive review and the honesty you have displayed by not simply being negative about everything as sadly in the circumstances some people may. I am very glad you found things otherwise to your liking and only sorry that all did not end entirely well.

I very much look forward to having the opportunity to discuss this further with you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Somerset
Reviewed January 17, 2012

They've recently reopened the 1760 Pizza and Pasta restaurant that's attached to this delicious 16th Century pub. It's always quite difficult to decide which place to eat because the food from the restaurant's chef Richard Sampson is absolutely delicious. We had my sister from France staying over the New Year and I found I had invited 16 people to lunch on New Year's Day. I didn't particularly want to cook masses of food and I'm sure none of them wanted a huge meal, so we ordered takeaway pizzas - three different kinds; the 1760 was really scrummy with hot chillis, chicken and meatballs, the Mexican had a delicious bbq sauce and the vegetarian was full of scrummy vegetables. I ordered far too many but my sister took a few up to London for the kids and we had lots of re-heated pizzas the following week and they all heated up a treat.

I must declare an interest because these guys have become friends (see below).

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Glastonbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 19, 2011

just returned from our first visit to The George, very disappointed with service, only one member of staff serving the meals, lighting the fire and serving in the bar. My husband went to get me a second glass of wine from the bar but returned later to say there was no one to serve him and another customer had given up and walked out. The first course and starter took so long to arrive, the main meals were not hot, although i cant fault the steak, my husband had a trio of lamb but only found two lamb dishes on his plate and when he questioned the young girl serving she said, well it is there its small, I saw the chef put it on, well all three of us eating couldnt see it! The setting is gorgeous, the building so pretty and loved the decor, but lacked atmosphere, we had to ask for the dessert menu after the waitress walked past us a number of times, she then proceeded the clear the tables and move the furniture rather thnan cming back to take our order, leaving us to make the decision we would give dessert a miss and find a coffee elsewhere in the village! Payed the bill and left , wasnt asked once if we were happy with our meal. Its the first time I have written on one of these sites and I am not a "complainer" by any means, but its such a shame that the food was on the whole good and the setting lovely but employing just one member of staff has just made the whole experience disappointing.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank gill k
beerhound123, Owner at The George Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2012
We are very disappointed to hear that the level of service you received fell short of the standard we would both expect. I am very sorry that these problems occurred ,and if the matter had been bought to our attention at the time we would have done our best to rectify things.

Whilst I realise it does not change your experience, we were very short staffed on a couple of days in December and this was one of them. We normally have at least two people during weekday lunch service, so would not expect this to be an ongoing problem.

I have also taken note of your comments that at no time were you asked if all was well and have reinforced the importance of this to our staff, together with the importance of constantly maintaining the high level of service our customers deserve.

I have also discussed your review with our head chef. We do not serve trio of lamb lunchtimes so perhaps some misunderstanding occurred in relation to this.

We take the feedback we receive from our customers very seriously whether good, as thankfully it normally is, or more negative, as in this instance.

As you also kindly raise a number of positive points I hope that we may see you again in the future and that these negative points will no longer be part of your experience.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 4, 2011

Stayed at the George this weekend as my husband and I were down visiting family, we chose to eat in the restaurant where the food we had was out of this world. My husband had the best steak that he said he had ever eaten and I decided after much deliberation to go for the lamb which was simply delicious-highly recommended! The rooms were beautifully decorated and the beds were extremely comfortable. The following morning we were treated to a hearty breakfast and the owner Gordon was an absolute charmer! Will most definitely be staying again!

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank sunseaandsand11
UK
Reviewed December 4, 2011

We arrived for a weekend lunch following hearing some good things about The George. However, when we arrived many chairs were still up on tables and many tables looked like they hadn't been cleaned from the previous evening. There were a bizarre number of empty picture frames on the wall and the place seemed like it could have done with a good spring clean. Our food was served by a young man in grubby clothes and the food was mediocre at best. We'd hoped The George had once and for all got its act together but we won't be bothering to go back.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jethroxUk
beerhound123, Owner at The George Hotel, responded to this review, December 8, 2011
We are sorry that your visit did not live up to your expectations. Had you bought any of the issues to our attention at the time of your visit we would have done our best to address them to your satisfaction.
With regard to the issues you raise I feel it fair to make a number of points. Sometimes guests come in to The George prior to our opening at mid day. When this happens, we tell them we are not in fact open yet but none the less do our best to make them welcome. It appears that was the case in this instance, and the member of staff present was going through the process of opening and wiping down a couple of tables that had been used for breakfast.

The empty picture frames are part of the "quirky" design mentioned and appreciated in other reviews on this site. The cleanliness of The George has also been credited on this site by other reviewers.

I am not aware that we have a member of staff matching the description you have given, but have reinforced to all our staff the importance of maintaining a good appearance.

It is a great shame that we were not given the opportunity to respond to the problems you found with your food as we would have done all we could, both in terms of service, and fiscally to try to satisfy your complaint. We very rarely have any issues bought to our attention regarding the quality of food as can be seen again from other reviews and busy dining rooms.

If you would like to contact us directly to arrange a return visit we will endeavour to ensure you are satisfied and fully take account of the previous meals you did not enjoy.
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 16, 2011

Stumbled on this place and was very pleasantly surprised. This large building has a great, quirky, clean interior and friendly staff which make a great atmosphere. It's definately in my list for taking a business client for an informal business lunch. 10 out of 10!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for your generous review, and also to all others giving us encouraging feedback. Its great to see that people like and appreciate what we are trying to achieve. We frequently get great feed back from people in person but seeing it in print is wonderful, and hopefully a help to others.
London
Reviewed November 7, 2011

We stayed for dinner and spent the night at the George's!! We had a great time lovely dinner and we will be back!

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Gi2010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wedmore
Meare Manor
Bath Arms Hotel
Bath Arms Hotel
#1 of 11 in Cheddar
The Oak House Restaurant with Rooms

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!