“So good we visited twice”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The George Inn Pub

The George Inn Pub
Ranked #4 of 12 Restaurants in Wedmore
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Newbury, United Kingdom
“So good we visited twice”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Ate here twice in three days and were very pleased with both the service and the food both times. Saturday we ate in the main restaurant and had superb 'specials' of vegi tarte tatin and pheasant casserole followed by a stunning sticky toffee pud.
Monday we ate in the bar as the restaurant was empty and quiet and we still enjoyed excellent food. The two courses for £14 was good value but the Haddock and Chips was pricey at £13. However said chips were amazing!

Visited November 2013
beerhound123, Owner at The George Inn Pub, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Many thanks for your great review and two visits.
We hope to see you again.

Shipham, United Kingdom
“Really lovely pub”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

The decor, food and ambience were lovely, only giving it a 4 star review as our waitress was a 'little' slow and had to wait for my white wine, (even though we asked several times), until the starters has arrived - the red wine drinkers were fine though!!

(Don't know if you can sit outside as we were there when it was dark outside)

• Visited October 2013
Many thanks for your kind review.
We do have a lovely 17th Century walled garden with children's play area and a separate tranquil decked area adjacent to the church.
Stroud, UK
“Great lunch - couldn't fault anything”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Having previously enjoyed the Swan (food fine but nothing special) decided to try the equally highly recommended (by locals) George Inn only to be concerned by the couple of terrible reviews we read before setting off. As is often the case with these things, it pays not to take too much notice of experiences which seemed to be outliers. Would advise the George to reply to those reviews individually, though, to give the appearance of caring about their reputation. Our lunch was actually great with fun decor, nice ambience, 2 menus each, a friendly efficient waitress easily able cope with 6 or 7 tables and appropriately timed ordering and deliverly of fab food ( Burger (not dry ), whitebait, crab, ravioli). £48 for 2 courses with a glass of wine and coffee. Seriously, you could do a lot worse .....

• Visited September 2013
A belated thank you for your kind words.
We did not have a management link to this page but have now rectified this and are replying to reviews.
Hope to see you again.
Somerset
“Beautiful Mussels”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

How sad to read the unhappy reviews of other people. I've always found The George a really happy place to go to. Service this week was a little slower than before, but the two waitresses were very kind and efficient despite a very full restaurant. The tuna and mozzarella fishcakes were a triffic surprise - a delicious combination of two ingredients one wouldn't naturally think of combining. My whitebait were crisp and tasty, but I would have preferred a home-made sauce. The mussels in a runny white wine, leeks, tarragon and cream sauce were absolutely ace - with a great bowl of soup once the bivalves were finished.

• Visited August 2013
Thank you.
We hope to see you again.
Cheddar, United Kingdom
“So bad we could only laugh!!”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

A real disappointment because we had looked forward to our evening. When we arrived our eager waitress was waiting for us to seat us or have a drink at the bar, I got the impression that the second option wasn't really what she wanted, but we said we would get a drink and then come through to be seated. I knew where our table was because I had made a special trip out to The George the week before to book a romantic table in the window as it was our Wedding Anniversary, the lady then was very helpful, I showed her the table we would like and she wrote it in the reservations book in front of me (at this point there were no other bookings for this date). I asked her at the time was our booking of 8.30pm too late but she assured me it wouldn't be a problem. What could go wrong I thought. We got our drinks congratulated each other on our Anniversary and I said to my wife shall we go through to our table. As I led the way there were four people already sitting at the table I had specially booked the week before. There was no one else in the seating area and maybe in hindsight we should have taken this as a sign of what was to come. We sat at another table, we were given one menu between us which meant we either had to strain our necks reading it or I had to read it upside down. The waitress saw this but did nothing about it. There was now another couple sitting behind us who had ordered, you guessed it they watched as their food was bought to our table. There were two tables of two eating, one of those us and we hadn't ordered and yet the extremely inexperienced waiting staff still got it wrong (They only had two waitresses on duty). We ordered our food and the original table we booked became vacant and so I asked if we could move, no problem. Great, so now we've got the table we wanted but the candles weren't lit and the ceiling lights, on dimmer switches, were so bright you needed sunglasses. We lit our own candles and I got up and dimmed the lights slightly. Perfect. No. We had been seated for 45 minutes and we had had our starter and main course, very rushed. As the waitress cleared our plates she asked my wife would we like a dessert, to which my wife replied can we have a little while to let our food go down. The waitress replied, 'so I'll take that as a no to desserts then'. My wife said no we would probably want one in a while. Two minutes later our waitress was back to say, 'would you like a dessert it's just that the chef wants to shut the kitchen'. We were gobsmacked, my reply was, 'that's nice we'll go to The Swan in Wedmore shall we?' to which our waitress giggled nervously and scuttled off back to the corridor to her colleague. Whilst we are on the food the tortellini was bland the goujons were more batter than fish, the steak burger was dry and the sardines were 'flowery'. In my opinion the chef could do with some practise rather than rushing off home. And so in just over an hour of arriving at The George our Wedding Anniversary was over. To put the icing on the cake our waitress then proceeded to blow out the remaining candles on the tables surrounding us, if that wasn't enough to make us feel like we had out stayed our welcome the candle smoke was. With the absence of any person who remotely looked like they had any responsibility for the establishment that we could have a quiet word with we paid our bill, which hilariously got lost in the 3 metres between us and the pay station, we left extremely disappointed to say the least and we feel they ruined our special occasion. We went 100 yards down the road to The Swan at Wedmore, we were greeted by friendly, happy, professional, efficient and courteous staff where the restaurant and bar were still busy and alive, whereas The George was empty, even the barman was on the customers side of the bar, always a bad sign. Needless to say we will never go back to The George for a meal and anyone who does don't say you haven't been warned, Yours a disgruntled PAYING customer.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank 953Chris
We are very sorry that your visit did not meet your expectations especially on such a special day.
Things were clearly simply not good enough. As other reviews on this site show this is not the normal experience of our guests and indeed something of an exception.
It is a great shame that you didn't bring the problems to our attention at the time as we would have made no charge. The least we could have done.
If you do decide to re visit us please let us know directly and we will ensure your meal is complimentary.
We have now made considerable changes to our procedures and staffing that will ensure this situation can not re occur.