“Good Food and Beer”

Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We ate hear twice during our week long stay in Wedmore, the food was very good along with their beer and a nice selection of single malt whiskeys. Down sides, on the website it says thy serve food on a Sunday night but on arrival at 7pm on a Sunday we were told they were not serving food. There biggest problem is The Swan, only 50m away and serving very very good food ( see my other review ) If you stay in Wedmore then visit the George and The Swan but save the special meal out for the Swan.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

Went here for a belated valentines day meal.

The food was excellent - and very reasonable value (The wine list is a bit pricey)

The only fault I would find was that the restaurant was freezing ... My wife kept her coat on for the starter and main course !

Staff very friendly - and did their best with the log fire to get it warmer !

Reviewed February 27, 2013

My husband took me to the George as a special celebratory treat, a couple of weeks ago. I must say the food was absolutely perfect although my husband's main course seemed very small, we weren't sure if the steak meal was missing a few vegetables! But despite this, the starters and desserts were simply delicious... it's a lovely place too, really quirky with bags of atmosphere! The open fireplaces are wonderful too, and they had obviously been roaring away before we arrived at 8 o clock. Unfortunately, where we were sitting, the fire had completely died down..no one came along to check...and I spent the whole evening freezing cold..consequently I couldn't wait to finish my meal and leave....to go out into an already freezing cold night! Not sure if we'll go again yet...maybe in the summer. It all felt a bit austere and uncomfortable, not cosy or relaxing...

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Very nice food, good ales, good wine selection, friendly staff and some unusual twists on the menu making it more much interesting than standard pub fare. A nice cozy atmosphere with open fires and candles too. 2nd visit for us and will always drop by when in the area. Staff were accommodating when we hadn't booked and needed an early table as we had our daughter with us.

If I were going to be really picky, the steak was ordered medium rare but came out well done. We didn't complain as this seems to be so common in Britain whose chefs seem to be petrified of serving anything pink and it was still delicious.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

Stayed for two nights, room spacious clean and comfortable and good breakfast. friendly team. Have visited recently for dinner (Jan 2013) good food and prompt service, this is much improved on past experiences with meals