“Gone Down Hill A Little”
Review of The George Inn - CLOSED

The George Inn
Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 25, 2014

We have eaten at the George several times before and had very good meals. As we approached this time the front of the pub looked overgrown and scruffy and there were not many cars in the car park so we were a little worried!

The staff were pleasant and the food ok but not as good as it used to be which is a shame because The George is in a lovely location

3  Thank Fiona W
There are newer reviews for The George Inn

Reviewed August 9, 2014

On sunday 3rd August 2014 I went on a lovely cross country walk from Lenham to Charing via The Greensand Way, stopping for a much needed pint of cider and bag of crisps at The George Inn in Egerton. I'd never been there before, and as I entered through the side entrance I wasn't sure where to go so I politely asked a staff member (waitress? manageress?) if I was going the right way: "Yes!" she snapped back, then grumpily walked away. I then bought my pint and crisps from another barmaid (who to be fair was polite enough though unsmiling), then sat outside. Afterwards (rather than leaving them outside) I took my empty glass and crisps packet indoors & wanted to say "Thank you" (something I usually do when visiting pubs). I couldn't see anyone at the bar (& their were only 2 customers in that particular bar despite it being around 1pm on a sunday lunchtime), so I left them on the bar and walked out. As I was doing so the same rude staff member from earlier came barging out of a side door, bumping into me while spilling a jar of sauce (ketchup?). I apologised (even though it was totally her fault), but she just "Tutted!" loudly, and walked off!

I spend a lot of time walking or cycling all over Kent (I actually live in Margate), and can honestly say that this has been one of the worst places I've visited in a long time. I politely but firmly complained via their website the next day, but didn't even get an aknowledgement to my email. So they clearly couldn't care less. Such a shame, as the pub is in a great location. Next time I'll wait until I get to Pluckley or Little Chart for my pint & crisps!

7  Thank Peter C
Reviewed August 4, 2014

Dont go to this pub on a sunny summers day in the height of the season half an hour before they stop serving food, because they'll only turn you away. There was only 4 of us. Could understand if it was many more, although that'd mean a larger food order! Our friends who lived locally said it had been recommended to them. Looking at some of the reviews I think we were actually saved from overpriced pub food!!!!

2  Thank GreatG00glyM00gly
Reviewed July 24, 2014

We went there for the first time, we gathered there had been an ex "grieved" manager. Everything was brilliant, a real country pub.

Reviewed July 7, 2014

I went to the George with a group of walking friends after a lovely stroll through the nearby countryside. We stopped for a well-earned lunch on a hot, sunny day and sat out in the garden. Whilst I can't claim that the garden furniture was the best (it had certainly seen better days) it was serviceable and enabled us to lunch outside and make the most of a lovely day.

The service was very friendly and the menu suited our needs, and was not overly expensive (as another review suggested). I opted for one of the pies (steak and stilton, as I recall) and had it with chips instead of the advertised new potatoes - in fact, I was offered a choice of new potatoes, mash or chips. The chips were very good indeed, as was the pie - very tasty. Others chose from across the menu and none was disappointed. We had veg served with the main dishes and the bar staff (who served us in the garden) even brought out some extra veg for us.

The staff were all very nice and friendly and gave great service - hence I was surprised to hear of 'indifferent service' in another review - that wasn't the case when I visited, despite the pub and the garden being very busy with an assortment of walkers, cyclists and other customers.

I had no complaints and would be happy to return and sample another of the delicious pies they had on offer!

1  Thank Geoff H