“VERY DISSAPOINTING”

Trattoria Antico Forno
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We stopped in Orvieto on july 06/2013 because of this restaurant and to see the Civita. And the experience was really bad. No customers in the restaurant. It look dead and the staff nowhere to be found.My wife wanted to go across the street where the atmosphere was alive, but I drove all the way from France to eat at this place. Finally a lady showed up and she didn't look happy to see customers. It was 1 hour before closing time. She was less then nice or helpful. I asked for pizza and she looked at me like i was an alien. She said: we never had pizza here. But I read about the amazing pizza. She said: NO PIZZA. We got a little bit of bread and olive oil, but the bread was a couple of days old and COLD. We ordered each some pasta.After a long wait(we were the only ones in the restaurant and we could here the server talking to somebody else) we got our pasta. Let me tell you that they were REALLY BAD. They seemed to be REHEATED PASTA. and the tomato sauce my wife had it was from a CAN. We know the difference. The server didn't care about us or her tip. We came all the way from Canada and we were very dissapointed. The city is very nice but don't eat at this restaurant.

2  Thank badclaude89

Reviewed July 5, 2013

We visited Bagnoregio on the 4th of july,in a season where you can find lots of fresh products. The Insalata caprese should consist of fresh mozzarella, tomatoes and Basil (available everywhere!).
The mozzarella was of the "pizza type" (which is a different product altogether), and instead of basil, they put oregano (out of a pot) on it. Horrible!
The pasta al tartuffo (summertruffel available in abundance this season): the tartuffo came out of a pot, a gastly, slimy mix of truffel, mushrooms and tons of salt. On top of all that they threw lots of parmigiano on the pasta dish, which shouldn't have been there in the first place, but put on the table so one could add it if one should wish to add some cheese.
We complained about this dish, saying the truffel was not fresh but was the classical mixout of a pot. the waitress denied it!!!
Summary: those guys have a very low opinion of the culinary knowledge of their guests, and apparently they don not care what they put on the table as long as it is cheap.
Don't go there.

3  Thank paulwillem
Reviewed May 26, 2013

One of the best places I have ever been! First, I'l admit that I heard about the restaurant, and the town for that matter, from Rick Steves. I was going to be in Italy and decided it would be fun to make the extra, out of the way journey to this town, and to this restaurant. He also has a couple of rooms upstairs so I booked one of them and spent the night there also. I truly great experience if you are looking for authenticity in your travels.

I carry a lot of photographic gear and after hauling that plus my luggage up the hill to get to the town and locating the hotel/restaurant, I must admit I looked like a wet cat. I was sweaty, smelly, and exhausted in the heat. When I walked in I was met immediately by Franco who sensed my condition. He set me down and immediately brought me water and a carafe of the best wine I have ever tasted and sat down and had a long conversation with me in English. (I don't think he even charged me for the wine!) I wish every place showed this kind of hospitality. I was then shown to my room after I had rested and finished the wine. A basic room, but it was clean, had a shower, and what more would you want in a 2000 year old Italian hilltop town? It was perfect for me. Later that night, I had dinner, and the next day before leaving a wonderful breakfast. This was some of the best Italian food I have ever had in my life. The helpings were more than plentiful, they answered any food questions I had, the service was attentive, and it was a meal and dining experience I will never forget. (I don't know why but I am writing this a year after my trip, but the experience was so exceptional I want to.)

This is a great place to stay for the night, a fantastic place to have a meal, and just a great place to stop into for some wine to get out of the sun. I promise you won't be sorry if you stop there.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

This restaurant is located just off the main Square, access is up quite a steep set of stairs. The staff are very pleasant and there is a good menu choice, the house wine is good. The food was excellent. Our bill for two courses (excellent fresh meat antipasto and a main with vegetables) water and wine was 52€.

The village is well worth a visit and this was the icing on the cake.

They also do B£B

3  Thank David W
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I can’t believe I’m the first American to write a review of this trattoria. I’m surprised because Rick Steves profiled this place in his TV program and in his book on Tuscan hill towns.

We had lunch here and it was very good. We both had pasta dishes. I think I had the one featured at the top of this listing. It was particularly thick spaghetti. I know we split a dessert, but we can't remember what it was, only that is was good or we would have remembered if we didn't like it.

The place is small. It probably only seats 20 or so people. The real attraction is the quaintness of the place and the cordial waitresses and the owner/chef Franco. Being there on December 22nd it was not busy. There were only two other tourists in the place. So Franco delighted us with stories about the amazing village of Civita di Bagnoregio.

We recommend it!