“Interesting place but service poor”

Santa Teresita Hotel & Spa Termal
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Amatitlan
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a Thermal water complex in Amatitlan, Guatemala. We are located about 30 minutes from Antigua Guatemala by car. We have different areas and services, both for families with kids and adults only areas. Our facilities include Kawilal Hotel, Kawilal Spa, 2 restaurants, 16 thermal water pools, natural thermal steam baths and more.
El Paso, Texas
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Interesting place but service poor”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I visited the spa with a friend after spending the morning hiking Pacaya Volcano. When we arrived, we purchased the most expensive package which was only about $90/person, a steal compared to spa treatments in the states. We first went in a round of the thermal waters, which was nice but a bit painful! The hot water was VERY hot and the cold VERY cold. They have a person that is supposed to be with you and 'guide' you however they talked to each other and were on their phones the whole time and I'm pretty sure we were forgotten about in the pools a couple times. We ordered two different smoothies, and were served the same one. Minor complaint. Then we had the steam room and bath. It was really not very nice, a cramped space and the tub was large but just a cement square and not comfortable at all. When I asked for more towels since the steam had made mine wet, the staff seemed annoyed. After, we wanted to eat since we hadn't had lunch yet, but they said no that we had services booked back to back. When checking in, we were given no choice about times of services. Who books four hours of services back to back without time to eat, especially having just come from a hike? The tour had been booked together, and there was no lunch included. I had to argue with about 4 different staff, who were clearly annoyed with me for wanting to eat and making them do extra work to rearrange our treatment times. They tried telling me I could have a half hour massage instead so I would have a half hour to eat. Although I had PAID for an hour massage. Finally they rearranged them, after I had argued and argued and was all stressed out. So much for a relaxing experience. The massage however, was wonderful, as was the coffee and chocolate body scrub afterwards. It was very oil for my skin, but felt nice. There are showers to rinse off with, but no soap, no shampoo, no bath mats even or extra towels in the showers. The other showers down below near the pools, also had no soap or shampoo. For people used to spas in the US, this is nothing like it. Do no expect even the basics like soap, it will not be there. For the price however, this is not bad. It would have been nice to know however so I could bring my own soap/shampoo with me. For a spa these things should be basic. Overall the experience was a bit frustrating. I would not go back again.

Visited April 2013
3 Thank RAnnGreen
Santa Teresita ... S, Director Comercial at Santa Teresita Hotel & Spa Termal, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Customer.

Our team regrets that we were not able to exceed or this time even match your expectations during your recent stay.

We investigated what happened, and we have realized that the services your request, was made through a tour operator who never made the reservation or confirm your services. This is why the services were desynchronized. When a customer confirms a package with Pacaya Volcano Tour and Day Spa in Santa Teresita, we take the time to prepare and serve the best we can to our customers. The tour must begin at 6:00 a.m. and you start at 7:30 a.m.

Your review and comments are carefully reviewed and help us to take the necessary steps to correct these issues.

Please accept our apologies and be certain that we will take all the steps for these issues to be resolved.

Best Regards,

• Korean first
Seattle, Washington
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 89 helpful votes
“Crowded, small pools, noisy...not a match with the photos”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We were pretty disappointed with our day here. The place doesn't look anything like the promotional photos. It has a public swimming pool area that shares lockers with the thermal pools. It was quite crowded and noisy when we were there -- it's very popular with the locals and close enough to Guate for people to make the trip. The thermal pools are small and were correspondingly full. With the volume of people that they get, water cleanliness is an issue. They have an English language spa package sheet for tourists with prices in USD that is much more expensive than just ordering 'a la carte' in Spanish and paying in Q. The massage was OK, but we could hear the kids having fun in the swimming pool from the massage room and better ones are available for the same price without leaving Antigua, which is where we originated. On the positive side, staff were friendly and numerous and your fellow soakers, typical of Guatemala, are quite amiable and eagerly conversed with me despite my awful Spanish. We were expecting a quiet, relaxing, hot soak/massage experience and that isn't really what you get at Santa Teresita. If you are a serious hot soaker, I suggest Fuentes Georginas outside Xela. If you want a relaxing/healing massage and spa experience, there a several places in Antigua that offer a more traditional spa ambience.

Visited March 2013
4 Thank michaelszippy
Antigua, Guatemala
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Relaxing”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We love it...it is close enough for a day trip and yet you are away from your city and work....
The hot rock massage is excellent....my husband had a relaxing massage and would have liked a more agressive massage, which is hard to come by in Guatemala. The pools are great...and so is the "just lying in the sun".....thank goodness we found this piece of oasis....

2 Thank Luvsent1346
New Jersey
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“What a delight!”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Took a small group of friends to this beautiful spa for a day of pampering. It is clean, beautiful (and by US standards), inexpensive. The thermal circuit was invigorating, the vapor bath too hot for me, the body wrap and massage outstanding. Bring your own towel and robe if you like, or you can rent them there. Flip-flops or shower shoes are a must, as some of the walkways get HOT. Some english speaking employees, but a bit of spanish is helpful. A great day trip.

1 Thank momma-a
Willmar, Minnesota
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Amazing destination!”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

My wife Aimee and I just returned from a vacation to Guatemala. We spent two days at Santa Teresita, and we wish would could have spent an entire week there. We spent a night by the ocean, a night in Antigua, a couple nights in Guatemala City, and our favorite spot was easily Santa Teresita.

The staff is extremely friendly making you feel welcome. Many of them speak English clearly which was beneficial for us. Those that didn't speak English gladly retrieved an English speaking staff for any questions we had. They made sure we felt relaxed.

My wife and I loved the thermal circuit and massages. We think the massages are superior to the massages we can get back home. The food was excellent and waiters/waitresses were very professional. We hiked the Pacaya and loved it. Santa Teresita provided round trip transportation, a boxed lunch, and a great guide. The volcano was amazing, and a once in a lifetime opportunity as its currently semi active. We followed the hike with a meal at Santa Teresita, the thermal circuit, and a massage. Perfect. Unfortunately we didn't have enough time to try the rest of the services they offer.

We are excited for the hotel to open next month. We plan on returning to Guatemala and staying at the hotel the entire vacation solely to enjoy Santa Teresita. Two days there simply wasn't enough. One of our favorite parts of Santa Teresita is how un-crowded it is for such a beautiful place. It was also very family friendly. We can not recommend it enough.

Oyea- the smoothies were to die for!!!

1 Thank Mark T