“Great budget choice next to the beach and walking distance to the tip of Borneo”

Tommy's Place, Tip of Borneo
Ranked #4 of 11 Kudat B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 30, 2011

For a budget/backpacker option this place is of a surprisingly high standard. Clean rooms with air conditioning and ceiling fan and private bathrooms with hot shower. View of the beautiful (but as always a little bit dirty) beach. To reach the tip you just have to walk 10 min down the road.

Very friendly staff. Dinner and breakfast good again considering the level of accommodation you are paying for.

For those staying long there are plenty of activities offed including snorkeling, surfing and kayaking. We may have been lucky with timing but the water the day we were there was very clear and clean.

To be sure check the latest reviews of this place as I suspect conditions may deteriorate with time. Maintenance in not always a priority.

• Stayed: October 2011
2  Thank Gwei10

Reviewed September 22, 2011

When we took a bus to Kudat, we had no idea what to expect, we had no real plan... we were kinda lost, in the city of Kudat where is not anything special at all. However we met there Tommy and his friend Jonathan, who literally saved us and brought to the paradise. Tommy is an owner of Tip of Borneo Resort, he took us to this amazing place and made our day! actually, 4 days! :-) his resort is beautiful, clean, very relaxed perfectly located right in front of the beautiful bay. and whats the best - there is only one more small resort, so you can enjoy all the beauties undisturbed! Staff lead by Jonathan is extremely friendly and helpful, we had tons of fun together and they helped us with every single problem we had. Simply fantastic experience!

Get there before it gets big, now its really amazing. I hope i will be able to do the same! :-)

Thank you Tommy, Jonathan and all the others! ;-)

Room Tip: all are amazing! :-)
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2011

There are almost 7 billions people on earth. All nice and visit-able places in the world will be crowded with people. This place is not one of them.. at least not for now. You could easily spend your day at the beach alone. But then again I did not stay there during the weekends so I can't tell if the place could get any busier than it was during the weekends.

People are nice as is most people in Kudat. The place is a laid back community everything can be done in the slowest and gentlest of manner. They speak quite a decent English past that quiet and timid voices... and after traveling to a few places in Europe and Middle East, theirs are pretty good compared to some BB places. But god help you if you are Welsh or Australian. Don't even bother bringing in your Cockney slang... no one understand that 'Grub' or 'In the Nude' actually means food.

Some basic activities like kayaking, snorkling, boating, cycling, etc, could be done weather permitted. You have the whole stretch of beach, road, ocean to get your kicks on. There are some level of board surfing you can do although they are not as high as the ones in Indonesia or South Africa but at least I can assure there are NO SHARKS! The water is clean.. not crystal clear but not dirty or contaminated at all. The beach itself could do a better care. Someone should clean those empty bottles and dead branches & woods. Sun lovers would like to burn their skins next to an empty can of Heineikin... just sayin...

Rooms are pretty clean, Beds are nice. AC is in the room. Satellite Wifi is pretty decent but you can't play WOW or Eve Online. Much too slow for that. Your can definitely able to water your garden or steal a cabbage or two from your neighbour in one of those lousy Facebook games. There is NO TV. Which is good I suppose... considering you will be there to blend in with nature or a quiet R&R and TLC with your spouse or mistress (the wall is a little thin tho.. so refrain yourself from waking up the next door neighbour). That is if your nose is not stuck in front of your netbook (like yours truly) commenting & trolling the internet.

Oh one more thing, MUST have a vehicle to come here, land vehicle preferrably. The road to Tip of Borneo depending on what route you are taking is pretty uneventful. You do have some scenic green thingy going on and the not-so-occasional roadkills of someone's house pet. Yep Cat Ladies and Dog Dudes, brace your heart, take anti-depressant if you must... We have plenty dead dogs and cats here.

I think all in all this is a nice place... I would come back here someday if my pesky siblings aren't here with me sampling the goods, for free, like the real moochers they are.

Reviewed August 20, 2011

Stayed couple of days at Tommy's Place. The thing in this place is far most the location. Tip of Borneo! Amazing beach only 50 m from your terass. One day i was snorkling there i was alone. Alone! So the place is just for you if you're looking a place to relax without all the commerciality. Food at Tommy's is fresh and good made by chinese cook. Staff is friendly and helpful as well as the owner himself. So if any problems you can always ask help and you'll get it too. Facilities are clean and newly built. Aircondition in the rooms guarantees good night sleep. Also they have hot water if one needs it. One major advantage in Tommy's place compared to the couple of other places round the tip is that they have satellite internet connection. One can use it free borrowing a laptop also. Unheard of, atleast during my traveling. Place cincerely is worth while visiting.

Reviewed August 6, 2011

i have to say i never expected that there is such a nice place ath the Kudat. i was travelling in couple and it was our first time in Borneo. We were lucky because we were picked up by Tommy- the owner of the resort. We wanted to stay only few nights but in the end we stayed 4. It is a beautiful place, with wonderful beach , where you can surf when the weather is windy. There were almost no turist at all. I wholeheartly recommend to visit this part of borneo and tommys resort as well. He tries to start ecotourisme there. The apartemens are clean, good value for money and the stuff is so friendly and nice. I think we made friends there and come back soon.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank smajdo
Reviewed August 4, 2011

After finding Tommy's website for the "Tip of Borneo Resort' I decided it looked worth visiting and I am pleased to say I was not disappointed. Tommy was extremely helpful from the beginning and following my initial phone call he even met me in Kota Kinabalu to show me where to get the bus from (as he happened to be in KK at the time). His lovely staff were there to meet me on arrival in Kudat for the complimentary transfer to the tip of Borneo. After a speedy check-in I was shown to a cute sea view room which had everything I needed and more (air-con, hot water, kettle etc) plus a lovely deck area outside facing the most beautiful turquoise blue sea and white sand beach... stunning! After an amazing sunset and a very tasty dinner I had the best nights sleep I'd had in ages (the beds are very comfy). I spent the next 5 days chilling out and relaxing, lazy days filled with reading, swimming and exploring the nearby beaches. What I loved about the area is how peaceful and unspoilt it is (I hope that future development continues to promote sustainable tourism and is environmentally friendly).
At Tommy's place I was made to feel extremely welcome and the staff did everything they could to ensure I was having a good time (the manageress Valeria even lent me her new iPhone one night to talk to my boyfriend on skype as I had broken mine). I've been traveling in Asia for over 4 months now and this without doubt has been one of my most favourite places to stay. There are lots of activities on offer such as kayaking, surfing (when there are waves), cycling, snorkeling and walks plus Tommy is planning more things soon. Oh and there is a great selection of books to read and complimentary wifi too so you should never get bored. The food is great and the restaurant mentioned in the first two reviews is good too should you fancy a change.
My stay here was perfect... Thank you so much and good luck for the future!

3  Thank MillyMolly_D
Reviewed May 5, 2011

My husband and I stayed here in late April- we were coming for 1 night and ended up staying 3. The room was nice, carpeted and clean.

THe beach was deseted and BEATIFUL. clear warm water, pale sandy beach and very friendly people. We hired snorkleing equiptment from the restuarant Tampat Do Aman’s centre / Tip Top Restuarant up the road- Brilliant- Howard the owner is very helpful and will help you find great beaches and snokling sports etc etc.

This place seems like a hidden gem with limited tourists as of yet- i suspect this will change very soon.

I highly recommend coming here before the tourism kicks off!

Coming to the Top of Borneo was one of the highlights of our trip!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple