“Great Staff - Poor Value”

National Water Sports Centre Hotel & Campsite
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great Staff - Poor Value”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2011

The staff were frendly and very helpful - beyond the call of duty actually, but.........,

The rooms are tired and dated, very much in need of refurbishment and vastly overpriced at £59 per night.

It was like staying in a University Hall of Residence - in 1975........,

Food was dire. Seemed to be made with the cheapest of ingredients. It is difficult to make pasta inedible - but somehow they managed it!

Need to reduce prices or invest in the place!!!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank pentlandfield

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2011

So the council have expanded the CABLE TOW park - great - But they have also DOUBLED the numbers at any one session! - Now Queing for 20-25 mins to get a go - Great for the few advanced riders (obviously friends of the kids managing it, who are also miserable and unhelpful - I'd be seriously concerned if my kids went there as they would be terrible if an accident), but if you are a beginner or learner - Q 25 mins, fall in in first 30 seconds - then Q all over again!!!!

They forget to realise that even if you double the stations, they cant all be filled as when someone falls in, the staff have to wait till they swim out of the way to let the next person go - resulting in 2-3 carriages gone by in that time.

I was also annoyed to see one of the experienced riders joining the shorter beginner Q, being allowed because the kids managing the cable were friends - ridiculous!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Discovery_Traveller

Travelers are raving about these Holme Pierrepont hotels

Witney, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2010

I never got to do my white water rafting course because the staff at the National Water sports centre white water rafting centre is so incompetent.
I got given a voucher to redeem, so did the right thing in ringing up the white water rafting centre. As requested by Nicola on the phone, I sent my voucher to them with my details for me to be contacted. Weeks later I still had no news from Nicola. So I rang up and asked about my course. I was assured by the course supervisor Paul [--] that I would be contacted that day to book me on the course. Needless to say this never happened so I gave it a bit more time. I never got contacted so I rang again only to be told the reservations team will contact me that day to book me in. This never happened so I rang back again and got told my voucher was never received. I stupidly did not send it in recorded delivery but I did keep a copy of it, so I sent the copy over by email. When I rang up to follow up (still the team there had not worked out how to call me) I was told my voucher had expired and therefore I couldn't do the course. Yes the voucher had expired by now, but 8 weeks had gone without me being contacted! So in my opinion such an organisation should be appologetic and book me on the course as soon as was possible. But no, that was the end of it. Nothing for me to do! According to Paul it was all my own fault and they had no proof of my conversation with Nicola and that I had sent the voucher in on time.
How dare they treat a customer that way ?! Obviously they don't understand customer satisfaction and service. I will never be doing any water sports at the national water sports centre again!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank Cotswoldfluff
Surrey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2010

My friends and I booked our places on the White Water Rafting weeks in advance. We set off on our journey at 9am on Sunday to ensure we arrived at the Centre in good time for our 2.15pm slot. The journey took us 4 hours in total and we arrived an hour in advance as planned. Unfortunately, about 30 minutes before arriving, we had a voicemail from Hannah saying that the rafting had to be cancelled owing to the bad weather, confusing as there was sunshine when we arrived. We were also amazed to see other groups just starting their rafting. During a visit to Reception, Hannah and Paul [--] explained the situation as rain the previous night was causing the water levels to rise resulting in an increase of bacteria in the water. Tests had been carried out earlier that morning but they had only called at 12.15pm. We were reassured that we could have a refund but did not find Hannah or Paul to have much sympathy for us considering the wasted time, petrol money, mileage on the car and 8 disappointed customers. Hannah was in fact quite rude when we got to Reception almost suggesting we were part at fault for showing up. Our total losses for the day amounted to: petrol cost of £60 for the journey, 8 hours of travelling time, 400 miles on the car, wear and tear and personal disappointment. We are not completely convinced on this reasoning to cancel our rafting, as there were groups starting and finishing their slots just 30 minutes before we were due to take part. We wonder if there is perhap something we were not told? I seriously DO NOT recommend this company, especially if you are travelling a great distance because they give limited notice of cancellation and don't seem too bothered about cancelling on their customers.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Roomzzz Nottingham City
#1 of 54 in Nottingham
BEST WESTERN Westminster Hotel
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Nottingham - Gateway

Been to National Water Sports Centre Hotel & Campsite? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about National Water Sports Centre Hotel & Campsite

Property: National Water Sports Centre Hotel & Campsite
Address: National Water Sports Centre Adbolton Lane | National Water Sports Centre, Holme Pierrepont, Nottingham NG12 2LU, England
Location: United Kingdom > England > Nottinghamshire > Nottingham > Holme Pierrepont
Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Children Activities (Kid / Family Friendly) Restaurant Wheelchair access
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Holme Pierrepont
Hotel Class:3 star — National Water Sports Centre Hotel & Campsite 3*
If you choose to stay at Holme Pierrepont Country Park, you are choosing to stay at one of the UK's most unique and inspiring venues. No matter what your reason is for visiting Nottingham, we have a range of accommodation to suit everyone's needs: Lakeside accommodation - located in our main Lakeside building, our 54 en-suite bedroom accommodation offers the perfect comfortable night away from home. The Elms - A self-contained cottage which sleeps 11, The Elms enjoys views of the lake and country park and is perfect for groups looking to stay with us. Campsite - our 18 acre campsite welcomes vans, tents and campers and is a fantastic destination from which to explore Nottinghamshire. Camping Arches - want the camping experience without the hassle of putting a tent up? Then our camping arches will be perfect for you! The arches are unique insulated wooden huts that provide warm and cosy accommodation, perfect for a weekend away. Tipis - NEW for 2016! For anyone wanting a more 'glamping' camping experience, each tipi four people and contains four beds and electricity; all you need to bring with you is bedding (sleeping bag/ duvet/ pillows) and your other camping essentials such as a torch/ light, warm clothes and camping chairs to name a few! ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, LateRooms and HotelQuickly so you can book your National Water Sports Centre Hotel & Campsite reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
National Water Sports Centre Hotel Holme Pierrepont
National Water Sports Centre Hotel & Campsite Holme Pierrepont, Nottingham, United Kingdom