“A restaurant with a touch of class” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lalon - CLOSED

Lalon
Cuisines: Indian, Asian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“A restaurant with a touch of class”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

In a former life, this restaurant, situated on a busy dual carriageway, was a Little Chef roadside diner. It has been tastefully converted to a modern, stylish, Indian restaurant. The surrounding area has been professionally landscaped and inside, a pleasant layout with evident use of quality materials makes for a comfortable atmosphere.
We were quickly shown to our table which was well spaced from surrounding tables with linen tablecloths and knapkins (always a nice touch) and settled in on comfortable seats. The menu is extensive with some interesting dishes I had not seen before and is reasonably priced. Unfortunately, although there were few people in the restaurant, it was 20 minutes before anyone came to take our order despite our attempts to attract the attention of the staff. That said, the staff took pains to explain various dishes and once our order had been taken the food arrived in good time and was professionally served. My wife had a chicken Biryani and I tried the Lamb Naga. Both dishes were extremely well cooked, served hot and with more than enough on the plate, we both struggled to finish our dishes. This is definitely high end Indian cooking and despite the initial problems with service, it was an overall pleasant experience which I would not be unhappy to repeat.

Nottingham
“Surpassed our expectations, excellent food and service - would highly recommend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

We bought a Groupon Voucher (4 of us) several months ago for Lalon. From previous experience with Groupon Vouchers for restaurants, we weren't expecting great things. However, we were pleasantly surprised. Excellent service, friendly and very knowledgable waiting staff, fantastic varied menu and the food was amazing. I cannot fault the food or service in any way. Our starters were lovely and beautifully presented - large portions (to the point that for me, a starter would have been fine with no main). Our mains were the same, presentation was excellent, the flavours in the dishes were second to none and the most amazing lemon and cashew nut basmatic rice. All four of us were blown away and will definitely return. Would highly highly recommend. you must go!

Nottingham, UK
“Plenty of food and good as well”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

We were the first to arrive. The closed sign was on the door and when sat down we heard someone, staff presumably, clearing their throat!! After the fun of that the food followed and it was of good quality and served hot. Lamb sheek kebab was probably microwaved hot, but tasty. Good selection of drinks and nice staff. Very nice inside.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
“An Excellent Meal,And Excellent Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

On arrival we were shown to a very nice table, not overlooked by anyone.

We started off with Poppadums and various chutneys, which were very nice. We then had a Tandoori Shared Platter for two as a starter, this was excellent. We followed this by a fish dish and a chicken dish with rice and naan bread. With wine to accompany it all.

We then finished off with my husband having ice cream and myself a coffee.

The staff waiting on us were excellent.

We could not eat all the main course so we took what was left home home.

An excellent meal, in an excellent setting.

Grantham, United Kingdom
“Great quality Indian food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

I don't agree with some of the other reviewers of Lalon. I think the food is of a very good standard and will definitely return. I visited with my husband, brother and sister-in-law. We had a very enjoyable evening on a groupon deal with which Lalon were quite flexible. We did not want dessert so they offered to exchange for additional dishes with our main. We were really full and could not eat all the food - so the staff kindly produced a 'doggy' bag. I ate mine for lunch the next day - if anything the flavours had developed and improved. My only real criticism is that the restaurant was decidedly chilly - l kept my coat on until sufficient wine had been consumed!? I have given a low rating for atmosphere just because there was only one other table occupied - the general decor was good. It was very dark so we missed out on any view we may have enjoyed from our window table - next time maybe.

• Visited December 2012