“Amazing Venue”

Comlongon Castle Hotel
Reviewed November 5, 2010

We got married here in June 2005 and i have to say that everthing was perfect. I really liked that you could pre order your meal so at dinner time there was minimal fuss at the table as the staff knew exactly where all the meals were going. The food was excellant and i can honestly say that i have never experienced anything like it at other weddings! The staff were all brilliant and i was really happy with both the hairdressers and photographers as i was slightly worried as i didnt meet them till the day of the wedding, they were so much better than i could have imagined. We had fireworks at night and also a ceilidh which was fun! If anyone is thinking of getting married here my advise would be to do it! I am hoping to go back in the future for an anniversary treat!!!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
comlongon, Owner at Comlongon Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2010

Dear reviewer.
Many thanks for your recent comments. We do offer a very unusual dining option at Comlongon, allowing all wedding guests to chose their individual meal options at the time of their arrival, something we and all other reviewers have not found in other venues.
Over the years we have made very close relationships with past guests and a large number are friends. The only way to understand this is to visit and see what we provide.

Reviewed November 4, 2010

Sensational! We were married here in September 2009. I don't know how I stumbled across Comlongon Castle and we both believe that it must have been fate!!! We stayed for two nights with all of our guests and everybody had a wonderful time. I felt like I was in fairytale.

Firstly, I must say that I have worked within the travel industry for several years and have stayed in some of the finest hotels and ships around the world. ( I am telling you this because I realise reviews are subjective and I want you to understand how high my standards are. ) I am also very critical of customer service. My husband would argue to critical lol

Customer service 5 star. Truly exceeded my expectations, at all times the staff ensured that my husband and I, and are guests were happy. Every member of staff at the castle is really motivated and eager to ensure that every little detail is perfect. I really enjoyed that despite this being a wedding venue, the staff made me feel like I was the only person to be married here. All of our guests mentioned that they felt like it was our castle for two days and the staff couldn't do enough for them. Phil and the team were really passionate about ensuring our wedding was a day remember.

Food 5 star. I think I may be the only bride to eat all my wedding meal.... I honestly didn't want to leave a single bite. The food was amazing and by far the best food I had ever tasted. It was presented lovely and all of our guests commented on the quality of their meal and rated it just as highly as we did.

We had the wedding 6 course meal and the Hog Roast the evening before and both were amazing!

Cleanliness 5 Star....spotless. I couldn't rate this any higher.

Rooms. 5 Star. The rooms are beautifully decorated and whilst they are all equipped with modern equipment facilities , all the rooms have their own unique charm. The rooms are very large and bathroom facilities are very luxurious.

Location 5 star... I love Scotland and the Castle is beautifully maintained. The gardens are amazing and are picture perfect in my wedding photographs. I travelled three hours to get to the castle and I would have travelled further. The castle grounds are huge and there is very little you would need to leave the grounds for, however, it's not problem as town centre isn't to far away.

Value 5 Star.

We paid for our guests to stay in the castle, because we didn't want anyone to pay to come our wedding. With this in mind, value was something that we considered a lot throughout the planning. I don't think that you can put a price on the memory, photographs and video we received from Comlongon Castle it was the best money we've ever spent.

Honestly, if you choose this Castle to host your wedding you won't be disappointed. From the moment I booked the venue until now writing this review I doubt my wedding would have been as magical anywhere else. It truly was the best day of our life and Comlongon Castle and its staff attributed in so many ways.

A big thank you to Phil and Team. I can't thank you enough.

• Stayed: December 2009
2  Thank Glassslipper_9

Dear reviewer.
Many thanks for your comments. Probably the best way to enjoy Comlongon is to stay for two days with the first day as a relaxed affair and organise a hog roast for the evening. Staying for two days allows various hair and make-up contractors to arrive after breakfast.
Most groups book a 6-course meal, the last course being a cheese board and ask for this to be delayed until later in the evening to serve as a buffet.
All our guests cannot believe what we deliver for the price charged, so much so that we had to provide a calculator on our website so they could experiment with their own quotes.
All our staff are dedicated to ensuring clients get the very best we can possibly provide. When their efforts are recognised with reviews such as this it is rewarding.

Reviewed November 4, 2010

My Husband and I cannot express how amazing our wedding day was thanks to the amazing, friendly staff at Comlongon Castle! Everything was planned and delivered without a hitch and nothing was too much trouble! The grounds and the castle are beautiful and the rooms are clean, tidy, luxurious with a period charm. We didn't rent the honeymoon lodge, as it wasn't completed when we booked our wedding, but we have seen it. It is a very contemporary space that's been beautifully finished. As for our photographer, she was nothing short of amazing! Julie Winspear http://www.juliewinspearphotography.co.uk/ has captured our wedding in the most beautiful way. The proofs came in our own personalised book that we get to keep even after we've chosen the photos for our album. If you are going to get married at Comlongon Castle, you must have Julie as your photographer, she's a true professional and makes you feel so at ease.
We would love to come back for our first aniversary!
Thank you once again Comlongon for being all we could wish for and more.
Alison and Paul Maton

Dear reviewer.
Many thanks for your kind comments. We organise weddings for hundreds of couples from all over the world who have often looked at many alternatives before taking the decision to entrust us with the most important day of their lives. As many who read these reviews know, we are experts in this industry delivering a unique style of service.
For the many who return we offer a stunning evening torchlight ceremony where engraved wedding stones can be laid into our sandstone wedding path.

Reviewed November 4, 2010

We would like to thank every single member of Staff at Comlongon, especially Alex and Carol, for making our dreams come true on our wedding day. From the second we got there to the second we left (and believe me, we really didn’t want to leave) we were treated like royalty. Never before have we, or any of our guests, attended a wedding that was as unusual and beautiful as ours on the 16th October 2010. Candle-lit ceremonies, owls delivering rings, falconry displays on the lawn, a banquet room fit for a king, a lairds blessing at night in the grounds of the castle, fireworks, sword-dancing – you name it, our wedding had everything. It truly was the most amazing day.

But I guess I had better start at the beginning. In 2008, a few months after Chris had I got engaged, we thought it best to start looking for a venue. So we Googled ‘The best Scottish Wedding Venues’ and Comlongon Castle was the first link that came up. Within about half an hour browsing their website and being totally blown away by all they had to offer, we completely fell in love with the place. A few weeks later we travelled from Glasgow to see Comlongon for ourselves (on the 16th October I might add!) and we were surprised to see that Comlongon was even more beautiful than on their website. The drive up to the castle, along with their gardens took our breath away. We quickly booked up for the ‘wedding couples free night’ and spent a lovely evening in November being wined and dined by the staff.

We booked our date a few months after that and then attended the open day in March 2009 where we got to meet all of Comlongon’s preferred suppliers. A few months before the wedding we constantly inundated Comlongon with telephone calls and e-mails, asking them lots of questions, which always got a fabulous and very quick response. We were assigned a wedding co-ordinator, Carol, who helped us with every question we asked.

Then, like a bolt out of the blue, the wedding day arrived. I arrived at the castle feeling a mixture of excitement and nervousness. I got to the honeymoon lodge, which is absolutely stunning, to find Carol there. She slowly went through the whole day with me and really calmed my nerves!

Our wedding day went off without a hitch. After the beautiful Humanist ceremony at 3pm in the great hall which was conducted by candlelight, with an Eagle Owl delivering our rings, the guests went down onto the lawn to see the falconry display. Everyone was amazed at the birds of pray and were even more amazed to see they could hold them and touch them!

The meal started at 6pm in the banquet hall – you should have seen the tables, all decorated with ivy and candles, it looked like a proper harvest feast! Alex took hold of the reigns and made sure that everyone was having a great time (how could they not be!) before introducing us as Mr and Mrs Walls. He then arranged for us to have our Lairds Blessing in the grounds outside, which was very emotional. The Lairds blessing is a memory that will stay with me and Chris for the rest of our lives. At the end of the blessing, the fireworks went off and everyone stood in amazement at the display before them.

Just when you thought it couldn’t get any better, we had a sword dancing competition between our friends and family. It really was the most spectacular day, I’m getting really emotional just typing this and guests are still getting in touch to say that they have never been to a wedding that was as good as ours. We’ve been told by everyone that it was the most fun, unusual and relaxed wedding they have ever been to.

Comlongon have got everything just right. Their fantastic staff that ensure you have the most perfect day, (the night manager even made us sandwiches at 3am when a few of us were up still talking about the day that just happened!!) to their beautiful castle and surroundings will ensure that you wedding day is the best day of your life.

Comlongon is an extremely special place, and you feel lucky to be part of it.

2  Thank PabloAlaine

Dear reviewer, thank you for your kind comments.
There is something special about Comlongon that guests pick up on after arrival that is hard to convey through a website. We are lucky enough that all our guests become closely associated with us and return for anniversaries and recommend us to future clients.
Providing facilities for weddings and celebrations has its risks; we have to get it right every day for every client. Thankfully with the staff and sub-contractors at the castle we manage to achieve this every day.
All of us thank you for your kind comments and praise.

Reviewed October 29, 2010

I attended Comlongon last weekend with my fiancee for my brother's wedding. The setting of the castle cannot be faulted, the building simply oozes history. Check in was smooth and efficient and our order for dinner was also taken. We had the Stormont suite which was sumptuously decorated and had stunning views over the gardens (which are, incidentally, immaculate). My only disappointment was the lack of a shower in the bathroom, instead there was a hand held unit on the bath. The food was delicious and of very good quality. The reception staff, bar staff and dining room staff couldn't do enough for us, they were so friendly and helpful. Overall the day was a big success and I would have no hesitation in recommending Comlongon Castle to others,

• Stayed: October 2010

Dear reviewer, many thanks for your posting.
Thank you for your kind comments. We have taken many years to make Comlongon what it is; one of the most popular wedding venues in the country. Each of our 15 bedrooms and bathrooms are individually designed. Our facilities and gardens are constantly being upgraded and improved. All of our staff aim to deliver the very best they can provide.
It is rewarding to see their efforts appreciated.

Reviewed October 26, 2010

We had our wedding at Comlongon Castle on 22nd October 2010. We were looking for somewhere that involved relatively little organising from our point of view, and this was perfect!
All staff were very helpful, right through the early preparation stages to the actual day itself.
We both had a fantastic day, as we had very little of the 'housekeeping' to do we got to enjoy the day as much as we could.
The 6 course banquet was of a very high standard, the seat covers etc finished the great hall off perfectly and the house band were brilliant. We also used Julie Winspear photography, and she was great.
The only downside were problems with 2 of the rooms - one had no hot water, the other had a problem with the jacuzzi - whilst staff were quite apologetic and discounted both rooms, the main thing my brother will remember is the fact that his he couldn't have the jacuzzi he'dbeen looking forwards to for weeks, which is unfortunate, as if we'd have known about it at check in we'd have swapped him to one of the other rooms.
But on the whole, our day was amazing and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for as little stress as possible organising a wedding!

• Stayed: October 2010
comlongon, Owner at Comlongon Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2010

Dear Reviewer.
Thank you for your recent comments.
Our staff specialise in producing perfect events and as such take the usual stress away from normal wedding celebrations. Most couples trust us to organise nearly every aspect of their event without a prior visit. Many groups in the last year or so have booked 6-course banquets, preferring to delay their cheese course until later in the evening which effectively gives them a cheaper evening buffet.
Seat covers are now another popular addition allowing Brides to match their Bridesmaids dresses with co-ordinated bows and runners.
We try extremely hard to improve our facilities and services here as most readers of these posts realise. Room 3 seems to haunt us continually. We have planned to shut this room down in January for 10 days and remove the Jacuzzi and replace the bathroom completely.
Even with this particular problem I am very pleased that reviewers still give us 5-star reviews and understand the limitations of running a busy venue and trying to implement continual improvements with minimal disruption.

Reviewed October 26, 2010

I attended a wedding in Comlongon Castle over the weekend and it was a fantastic day out in a fab setting. The staff were friendly, the cleanliness was exceptional and the grounds were very well maintained. The food was top class also.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear Reviewer,
Many thanks for your recent review of your stay with us. I am glad that yet again our staff lived up to their reputation and delivered 5-star service, food and accommodation. Your comments are most welcome and will be passed on to all who helped deliver this level of service whilst you were in our care.
Many thanks
Comlongon Castle

Also consider these accommodations in or near Clarencefield
Cairndale Hotel & Leisure Club
Best Western Dryfesdale Country House Hotel
Holiday Inn Dumfries
Holiday Inn Dumfries
#3 of 7 in Dumfries

Been to Comlongon Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!