“Totally Disagree”

Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Beesands
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A village gastropub specialising in fresh, local seafood.
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I feel I have to write a review in reply to Jacqut who has previous left one, I was present on that day in the resturant, and her account of the events are a little bit one sided, Neither the waitress or Landlord were rude to her at any point. The lady!!! in question, tipped her toddlers dinner onto the table, from the plate, the waitress was obviously puzzled by her actions, and rightly so. What sort of behaviour is that of a mother to her child, who will learn it is fine to do this. She then proceeded to act like a banshee when the landlord politely ask if he could help in anyway. I found it embarrasing as I am sure her husband/partner did from the look on his face. I have always taken my children and now grandchildren to this establishment when in Devon. I have always had a wonderful dining experience with my family, I carry my own booster chair which fits onto most restaurant charis as I find highchairs are not to a my standard of cleanliness, wherever I visit, due to the amount of use they receive, also they cause an obstruction to other diners. May I recommend Jacqut google search these and purchase one for her troublesome toddler. They are totally toddler/child friendly and the food and service are exceptional.

2  Thank SallyallyWiltshire

Reviewed September 7, 2012

Went here on our last night in Devon and had a fab meal. I struggled a little with the menu options as I don't eat seafood, but then what else should you expect from a restaurant overlooking the sea? I chose the chicken linguine, which I have to say was simply wonderful! The rest of the party all had fish dishes and all raved about how good the food was. A little on the expensive side I suppose, but worth every penny. The head waiter is a joy, very amusing and very pleasant. Will definitely be back next year!

Reviewed September 6, 2012

Very busy pub/restaurant and you have to book at weekends. The pub has been extended over the years and has a large dining area which is very busy. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful and there is a nice atmosphere. The menu is varied and there are lots of imaginative fish dishes on offer. The decor and furniture and comfortable and contemporary. The pub is very old and once stood on the of the beach at Beesands before the sea defences where built.

We have a lovely meal, we both started with scallops and both had fish - catch of the day - Plaice- for our main course. Vegetables were fresh and the food is nicely presented, There is a good wine menu too.

There is a distraction though and that is the montage of moving photographs that plays on the screen on the wall showing old photographs of Beesands through the years - it is fascinating to watch.

Very nice pub and the place to be seen!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Stayed at the "inn on the sea " last night for our wedding anniversarry - lovely food , exceptional service and woke up to the sound of the sea breaking outside the windows - perfect !
A true gem of an establishment in a wonderful setting.

1  Thank andyt936
Reviewed September 2, 2012

we went to beesands intending to try the britannia on the beach as recommended on tripadvisor but it was full and so we tried the cricket inn. we had visited some years before and been disappointed but were pleased to find it had been refurbished and had a reasonably priced and interesting menu. my son had the seafood pancake my wife the lamb shank and i the venison . all were excellent and tasty. we returned on saturday night with my inlaws and were told they were fully booked. however a lady eating at one of the tables kindly moved to a smaller table(we later found out this was the landlady). we had two of the seafood pancakes,a fish and chips and i had the venison pie. all were excellent and we were all filled at the end. the only comment from my wife was that perhaps a portion of bread could be served with the pancake to mop up the sauce!