The Old Inn
TripAdvisor
The Old Vicarage(Malborough)
TripAdvisor
  • Free Internet
All reviewsevening mealthe publong timefeel welcomenew ownerssmall sofafriendly welcomeate herefull english breakfastchoice of drinksbiscuitsfantastic foodpizzavillagealesalcombe
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Just one night stay as attending wedding reception in Salcombe. The ladies who looked after us were very nice and friendly, our room was lovely, we had a shared bathroom but I think we were the only ones to stay there that night so we had the bathroom to ourselves. We were unfortunate to be woken up early morning by workmen doing some demolition work downstairs (didn't help our stinking hangovers) but we were offered free breakfast as compensation and it was really lovely. We were given direction to a lovely seaside spot, about 2 miles from the Inn and we had a lovely afternoon there. Overall, would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We had a lovely stay at the Old Inn. The landlady was very warm and welcoming. The en-suite room was spotlessly clean and very comfortable and had everything you could ask for. We did not eat at the inn in the evening as we had other plans but we did have a few drinks at the bar later. I was bit worried that it would be noisy staying above a pub but I hardly heard a thing from downstairs. Breakfast on a Sunday is not served until 9.30am which was actually fine by me as it meant I had lie-in but if I had the kids with me we might have had to eat elsewhere. The breakfast menu is massive and well worth the £5 charge. I asked for an extra slice of toast and was presented with a whole plate full of toast and preserves, very friendly service above and beyond expectations.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We went whilst on holiday. There were 4 Adults & 3 Kids. The Staff were very friendly, food was excellent. The atmosphere was great. (There was one chap with a fantastic laugh.) We would highly recommend it. The pool table was fun to.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed July 15, 2012

The Old Inn is conveniently placed on the main road from Salcombe to Kingsbridge, and if you don't have a car the bus stop is literally on your doorstep. This is very a useful way of getting into the pretty seaside village of Salcombe, where parking is impossible and overpriced.

There is a small supermarket nearby if you need to get anything. The owner and her staff are all very friendly, nice people, the breakfast is hearty and the rooms are clean and tidy. They also serve a nice pint of real ale.

I would not give it 5/5 though for two reasons:

Noise. As a working pub, it was quite noisy after 10.30pm. I guess I should have expected this, but having the jukebox playing rock music with only 2-3 people in there seemed a little unusual. It may well keep some travellers awake.

Timings. The breakfast also starts at 9.30am, which is very late if you want to get up and go walking early in the lovely countryside nearby. Even 8.30am-10.30am would at least allow hikers to be 'out the door' by 9am. Check-in time is also 4.30pm, which again, seems a little late on paper. The landlady reminded me of this time on our arrival when we turned up at 1.30pm. I had no idea it was 4.30pm and we had been on the road since 5am involving family lifts, trains and a flight from Belfast. The landlady let us put our bags in the room early, but as first impressions go, I could not help feeling that it was not exactly a warm welcome.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank TheCraftyLeek
Reviewed June 20, 2012

When we stayed at the Old Inn, for us it was very much just a bed for the night, as we had plans with family in the evening. We had a very friendly welcome when we checked in, and Rob showed us how to get in, should we get back after the pub had closed.
We both had a very comfortable night's sleep - I slept under the softest duvet I've probably ever encountered, it was wonderful! A good hot shower in the morning and a cup of coffee from the in-room facilities meant I was ready for the day. We went downstairs to the bar to check out, and the landlady Jo offered us a cup of tea or coffee, which we gladly accepted. We had already decided not to have the full English breakfast, but she then offered us a bacon sandwich each, which we couldn't resist. 5 minutes later, 2 sandwiches appeared, piled high with fantastic tasty bacon.
After our breakfast, we settled up and checked out. I was very impressed with the Old Inn, and will gladly go back there again for the next family get-together!

Room Tip: There are three rooms, only one is en-suite - this is the one we stayed in. The other two have private bathrooms, but they are across the corridor from the rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple