“The Customer comes last!!!”
Review of The Lodge Hotel

The Lodge Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Malborough B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I should have read the Reviews on trip adviser, will in future.
Things didn't seem right from the start when booking our weekend break the manageress was not
prepared to take a booking for a family room with only two people, I explained that I like
space, but she thought I was selfish when this room should be left for family's, (Who is paying
for this room?) I booked a double for my friends,
I booked The PentHouse Suite for myself.
We were texted a code on the day of arrival to enter said Hotel.
There was no members of staff to greet us, in fact it was a unmanned house NOT A HOTEL!!!!!
All room keys were on reception, we collected ours and headed to the PentHouse Suite, ................... or rather THE ATTIC!!!! what a let down, my partner is 6ft "4 he had to crouch to move around, The rooms were basic no frills, smelly and hot, we opened all windows to air it out, however it was cold that night and the velux window would not shut, I stuffed a towel in it .
our friends arrived a little later their room was ok but nothing like the pictures.
My friend asked whether there was hair dryers in our rooms, as we were celebrating their anniversary that evening and obviously would be washing our hair, I checked The Lodge Hotels Web site " Every Room Has A Hairdryer" I told my friend no need for us to take one......Yep
you guessed it NO HAIRDRYER!!!!! Where is it ?
I texted the manageress, asking her where the hair dryers are as my hair is wet,
Manageress reply
We have not got any,
me: your web site info says every room ?
Manageress: Then I must remove this from website
After texting too and fro I got no where, bottom line ....they just don't care.
The So called Penthouse Suite (Attic) was £95.00, based upon other hotels I have stayed in the
room should be around £45.00 as it was more of a budget guest house, but not even that as it was unmanned.
It was a bad experience at The Lodge Hotel, Management indifferent, they get their money no
matter what, surprised they are still in business, if you have read this DON'T BOOK IT !!!!!!!!!!!!
wish I read the reviews...

You cannot call The Lodge a Hotel, it's a unmanned house,

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank June M

Reviewed September 26, 2013

I had chosen the hotel through our corporate system, and although wasn't expecting much, I did rather expect something that more akin to hotel than Guest house. Even a guest house would have been considerably better than this sham.
Turning and parking in car park was difficult, I have a wide and longish car with not a lot of turning circle.
Wireless in the room wasn't available as no security code available.
Macerator on the toilet was VERY noisy, and I am surprised that it didn't shake and reverberate through the building.
And the check-in/security/reception service was non-existant. I would have refused to pay if anybody would have been there to complain to!!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't choose room 7
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank James A
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We booked the Lodge Hotel in order to be close to a wedding we were attending in nearby Kingsbridge. Unfortunately, we were unable to book-in prior to the event due to unexpected traffic delays. However, as we were not planning on being late, we were not overly concerned about our later than planned arrival. Having left our car in town, we booked a taxi and arrived at the hotel just before 11:00 p.m. to find it in near total darkness. We rang the doorbell and discovered it wasn't working. I then phoned the contact number provided with the booking confirmation but only got through to voicemail. I left a message saying we were outside and were anxious to check-in - we still haven't received a reply! We were now in a dark street, in an unfamiliar town, with no transport and nowhere to sleep.

Fortunately, a passer-by directed us through an alleyway to the rear of the hotel where there was another entrance and another doorbell which I rang. After what seemed to be an eternity, an extremely irate half-dressed young man, who we took to be a resident, opened the door and started to remonstrate with me about waking his wife. He was not in the least bit sympathetic to our plight and, with a parting threat of physical violence, stormed off. We found a note on the reception desk telling us which room we are in and a key. With a sense of deep relief, but nonetheless more than a little shaken by our encounter, we entered our room.

The room itself was small but reasonably clean, the towels however were filthy. Having been woken by banging and groaning water pipes at 07:30, I went down to reception in order to discuss the previous evening's events and settle our bill. Unfortunately, there was no sign of any staff members and we left shortly thereafter, somewhat relieved that we were able to depart this appalling hotel without injury.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank 149Ch123
Reviewed September 8, 2013

DO not believe the brochure about the Lodge Hotel, "BOUTIQUE Hotel... ITS NOT", ther is NO service , continnental breakfast which is a rip off, again you asked to get it yourself from a grubby kitchen, the only staff I saw left alot to be desired so much so I wouldnt leave my mother ther or her belongings on her own, alarms goining off no one around, rather large lady appeared with a limp( looked as if she just got out off bed ) but missed the wash room, it was terrible there is NO Food and NO service you stay at your peril. no lights in carpark very dark, unkept garden I was told by a local that the owner doesnt care, about his places , One off the ladys I did meet says she was Manager, she was more like a " Hippy"There are Better B&B around the Pub nextdoor called OLD Inn does a better job for same price which includes Breakfast . BEWARE

Room Tip: Find another B+B
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank william b
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We booked to stay here to go to a friends wedding in the nearby thurlstone hotel, the only reason for picking the Lodge was because it was the only place nearby for under £70 a night! I was worried about going and even thought about cancelling after reading some of the reviews on here but I was pleasantly surprised. I think people on here have reviewed it a little unfairly! Yes it is bizarre there is noone to welcome you and your key is just left on a reception table BUT this hotel is situated in a convenient location, there is parking, and the room is of a adequate size. The room was clean, the bed was comfy and the shower was hot. If all you need is a place to sleep this is your place. I would of liked to pay a little less but most things around this area are pricey, I guess it's what you pay to be in such a beautiful location.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank xkrisx09
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Arrived at hotel at 3:45 pm there was no staff to meet and greet. After shouting for assistance we noticed keys for room on the reception counter sitting on a card with our name on. We put cases in room and off we went exploring. We returned at 11:45pm only to find carpark was full. Had to park car about half mile away wife is disabled. The door to hotel wide open and no staff about. Went to our very small room for which we paid £68 for one night. We found cobwebs in corner and toilet had ducktape on it holding it together.
There is no security for guests at this hotel. We left early in the morning decided to have breakfast in Kingsbridge rather than have a doit yourself one at hotel.....never again will we return to this joke of an hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank carpenter87
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed here for one night to be near soar mill cove with our 3 year old. Paid £75 plus another ten to cover a DIY breakfast for one adult and child. Bathroom a bit dated with dodgy shower which almost boiled me alive and taps that did not turn off properly. Light over sink not working. Strange to have no one around to meet and greet and give general advice on area. Booking person v grumpy on phone and although explained that breakfast was buffet style, did not prepare us for 'go into a catering kitchen and make it yourself' wondered about the whole health and safety of everything here. Like other guests reviews both on this website and feedback left in hotel book, we came back to find the hotel empty with back door wide open in the afternoon. At night, we came back to a dark hotel and had to search for light switches! Kitchen is not that clean with bins so full you couldn't open the lid. This place is currently no more than a 'serviced room' with shared lounge and kitchen. Also, website said it had restaurant...it does not. I believe that in past times, the hotel was more successfully managed with staff insitu, but maybe hard times has hit and the owners are just trying to make the best of a bad situation. I will not be returning. . The pub two doors down does B and B for same price with proper cooked breakfast thrown in.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Fruitshan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malborough
Salcombe Harbour Hotel & Spa
#1 of 5 in Malborough
The Royal Oak
The Royal Oak
#3 of 5 in Malborough

Been to The Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!