“A decent Sunday Lunch”

The Priory Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Caerleon
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Called in here by chance , the Priory was busy always a good sign. You have to order your meal at a counter I prefer waiter service but the starter and main meal arrived in an acceptable time. It was nice enough if over priced. We would consider calling again as it is a cosy and inviting venue. Customer service was spot on .

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Priory Hotel & Restaurant

Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

Excellent service from the staff at the priory. Quickly seated and served, but not rushed. Excellent food. Steaks are cooked exactly to the customers request and deserts are gorgeous. Always have a good meal there.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Allegedly dates from 1700, standards probably poorer than they were then. Small noisy rooms, constant traffic, thin walls. Poorly lit - one lamp in the room my colleague was allocated. Ancient pillows. Cheap furniture. Same key opened both annex and my room - disturbing thought that same key could probably open all the other rooms in the dark corridor. After long journey asked for a cheese sandwich - seeing both cheese and bread behind counter. Was told they 'did not do cheddar' or sandwiches! More disturbingly, wide variety of fresh meats and cooked foods arranged on top of and adjacent to each other. Breakfast awful. Oily eggs and poor quality bread. On arrival struggled with heavy bag through hard to open doors into the rain and up the stairs - staff just indifferently and rather rudely either ignored me or walked ahead of me letting doors slam in my face. Is success due to uninformed foreign travellers and dearth of hotels? Shame.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room there
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
6  Thank DrH2
Reviewed March 23, 2014

We stayed here last night after travelling some distance for a family event. Although the reception staff were friendly and helpful, the room clean and well presented, I have to say that we were shocked by the poor standard of service we otherwise encountered. Bar staff were unsmiling and unwelcoming and the atmosphere in the (understaffed) breakfast room could best be described as surly.Having requested a meat-free breakfast (met with incredulity), I received a full English. I again politely requested a meat-free option. The plate was removed and duly plonked back down in front of me, the bacon and sausage having been obviously scraped off, leaving behind an egg and a hash brown. Underwhelming.My partner had the full English, which he described as "average". Not good enough - Caerleon is a lovely village, well worth a visit but we won't be staying here again and can't recommend it unless there is a significant improvement in service from Bar and Waiting staff.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sav58
Reviewed March 23, 2014

We have stayed here before. Good hotel with excellent restaurant. Great wine list. Wifi everywhere though not great speed. It would get full marks if they had better service during the day and bar snacks. I hate drinking without nibbles. Also everywhere is very dark for ambience. Better localised lighting would make a lot of difference.
Will almost certainly go again and Live in hope.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Exceptional seafood restaurant (if a bit pricey) in an average hotel. Comfortable but basic, and the wifi just didn't seem to work properly. Reception staff friendly, breakfast staff surly. The full English looked good, but my scrambled egg on toast was just two scrambled eggs on a plate, with an expectation I'd help myself to toast. Oh, and the real ale in the bar the night before was very poor. But the location is good, and a choice of pubs nearby

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Phil L
Reviewed March 1, 2014

We had stayed here previously (Nov 2012) and enjoyed it. We booked the same room (the blue room) with Jacuzzi bath for an indulgent relaxing night away. The bath was great, not so good was the loud Music thumping away below us and the raised voices of people trying to hold a conversation over it. At 12:20 I was just about ready to pack up and leave when the music finally stopped, the raised voices did carry on though until just before 1am. In the morning we got up for breakfast and used the shower. I know showers in hotels have a reputation for running hot and cold as other people use the water, this one stopped dead 3 times with no water at all for several minutes, once while my wife was in the middle of washing her hair. When the water did return it was cold, so not such a great start to the day.

Breakfast was disappointing too. For the cooked breakfast there wasn't a choice (no menu), just the full English or not. The was only one waitress on and we watched as 2 other tables that came down after us got their cooked breakfast before us while we waited. I could have ignored it but I couldn't even while away the time with a coffee as I like mine hot and this was tepid and unappealing and I didn't finish it.

And that was that... Except for the niggley bits, bits that I'd never normally dwell on and might have been like it when we stayed before, but without any other reason to look too closely would just have ignored.

The sink in the bathroom, the drain thing is broken, The only way to empty the sink is to pry the plug out with your fingernails.

The mini bar, nice cold, and well stocked. Just so long as you don't want any ice. There are 2 ice cube trays, both just about consumed by the ice monster in the fridge. this fridge is many months past being in desperate need of a defrost !

The restaurant (which we didn't use) makes a big play of selecting your food from the display counter. Which unfortunately meant the was a fairly strong smell of raw fish which was still with us upstairs in our room.

I did raise the issues of noise and the shower on checkout (and also filled in the customer questionnaire). The receptionist said she'd tell the plumber and made a bland apology for the noise. neither of which made us feel any better about the situation.

Such a shame really, Caerleon is lovely, we will be back again, just not staying here.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Colin H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Caerleon
The Parkway Hotel & Spa
Hotel ibis budget Newport
Hotel ibis budget Newport
#10 of 18 in Newport
The Manor House at Celtic Manor

Been to The Priory Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!