All reviews venison meat and fish main building roman ruins on display one way system mussels sunday lunch crevettes main course two courses booked a table car park staff were attentive lovely atmosphere the blue room wine list
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Every time I have eaten here I have always had great food. The service is excellent and the staff are friendly and cant do enough for you. The steak is always done to my liking and the fish is exceptional.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Clarecrane
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Myself and my husband went for a meal last night for our wedding anniversary. From the moment we arrived the staff could not do enough for us and service was second to none. Loved choosing our fish and meat from the counter. I had king scallops for starters, sea bass with potatoes for main and hubby had calamari and steak with chips for main.
Starters were lovely and arrived promptly. Main was also delicious, but as previous feedback suggested we had to pay extra for veg which consisted of carrots and peas with 1 bit of cauliflower, very much the same standard as weatherspoons Sunday lunch. I was also dissatisfied by large boiled potatoes and would expect more choice as currently its boiled large potatoes or chips, which is not very good.
Other than these disappointments the meat and fish was outstanding. The desserts were scummy. I had pavlova and hubby crime brûlée.
For a 3 course with a bottle of house white, 1 pint of larger and bottle of sparkling water came in at just over £100 which was very pricey considering the options available. In saying that I would go again, but probably in the week and have the much cheaper set menu as don't think the normal menu is worth the money although still very nice.

Room Tip: Go for the set menu
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We called in here with friends with a view to having meal a couple of weeks ago. We entered the rather dingy bar and eventually managed to order some drinks. The bar was not overly busy as it was early evening but the barman was engaged in a conversation with a person at the bar and could not be bothered to serve us for some time until one of us complained to him. There was no apology for the delay and he was very abrupt with a could not care less attitude. We are not used to this kind of service, particularly in a supposedly upmarket restaurant such as this is supposed to be. In view of this we decided not to order a meal and left after our drinks. How places like this get away with service like this in this current economic climate is beyond me.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Skysurfers
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I've now been here three times now, once for a wedding, once for a graduation party and another time with friends and I must say that the food is absolutely delicious and the service in the restaurant was impeccable. I must say I have become a fervent fan of the house pate. The restaurant was only enhanced the Priory. I will definitely be returning many times in the future.

The only downside I have to say is that the bar area is understaffed and you have to wait a while for drinks.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank HKD22
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Sat outside in the lovely garden and enjoyed choosing our food from a display inside. Both had fish for starters and mains! Surprised we had to pay extra for a bowl of salad as no veg were included. Service was fine and attentive.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple