All reviewsvenisonmeat and fishmain buildingroman ruinson displayone way systemmusselssunday lunchcrevettesmain coursetwo coursesbooked a tablecar parkstaff were attentivelovely atmospherethe blue roomwine list
Reviewed July 3, 2012 via mobile

We visited here Valentines night for a romantic meal and it was absolutely heaving!!! So probably not the best night for the men's toilets to become blocked. Luckily for us, after our meal the manager sent someone from the kitchen food prep area into the men's toilet with a mop to unblock them!!! After unblocking the toilet he was sent back into the kitchen!!! I asked the manager if the member of staff was going to change his apron or even wash his hands to which he snapped back "he doesn't even work in the kitchen so what's the problem!". Very concerning!! Not visited there since and don't plan to again. Have been several times prior to this event but the food is nothing special and I personally geeky they attract most of their clientele on it's previous good reputation but it has gone downhill quite a lot since then.

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank RubstersMomma
Reviewed June 29, 2012

The food here has always been excellent, you never have to wait to catch the eye of a waiter when you need something. The food is prepared and served quickly no matter how busy it gets.

We recently had a buffet here for our baby boys christening, the food severed was excellent and quiet unique with the usual spread of sandwiches albeit very fresh and the piece de resistance small peaces of battered cod and chips that went down a storm with all our friends and family members. Everyone commented on how slick the entire operation was as waiters were always clearing this and rearraging that..

They must be doing somthing right as it is always busy no matter what time of the week you come here.

Very impressed and we will continue to eat here.

Ben & Dee Coleman

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 24, 2012

I've used the restaurant on a number of occassions + always found the food + service very good. We had a problem 1 night- we didn't like the table,people had 2 squeeze past to go to other tables. Even though the place was packed they moved us without a fuss, appologised + gave us complimentry drinks ! Friends stayed overnight but found their room cold + draughty!

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed June 5, 2012

My partner and I had an evening meal and overnight stay on the night of 3 June at the Priory; it was certainly an experience we wont forget! As a vegetarian of over 25 years standing, I'd thought I was past being offered Mushroom Strogonoff or Vegetable Lasagne, but go to the Priory and travel back 10 years! The lasagne was terribe, microwaved to death, so I could have eaten it though a straw! My partner's duck was completely over-cooked, it was only saved by the jolly waiter, Roman, who was very charming. But as good as our waiter was, he couldn't recoup the damage done by the terrible food and excessive prices.

The stay overnight was again like travelling back in time; an experience of no duvets, shabby room, 1970's decor and very hard bed.

What is clearly a beautiful building in a lovely setting, it seemed to us that the management of the hotel were despreately cutting corners, but resulting in a very poor experience. We came away very disappointed and we certainly wont be returning, although we'd like to visit the area again!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Pete_not_Keith
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Visited on Thursday 31st May 2012, The restaurant was busy due to the pro am golf at the Celtic Manor.On arrival greeted by friendly staff and given a nice table.Even though they were very busy,i was served by the the manager who was extremely pleasant and took time to recommend areas to visit.
My order was taken and my crevette starter for my wife and I arrived soon after.They were cooked to perfection and greatly enjoyed.
I then had sirloin steak for my main along with a side salad and order of chips.The steak was again cooked to perfection and melted in the mouth.My wife had Chicken Barbados, which was also superb.
For anyone not familiar with the restaurant,i must advise that if you order steak, that is what you get, i.e nothing else.You should remember to order your side dish at the time of order.There is a salad bar for you to choose from and a selection of vegetables and potatoes.
Great night and great food. A tad expensive, but good as a treat.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple