All reviews venison meat and fish main building roman ruins on display one way system mussels sunday lunch crevettes main course two courses booked a table car park staff were attentive lovely atmosphere the blue room wine list
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I went to the priory to celebrate my 40th birthday with my friends and family. There was 21 of us sitting down for a meal. The food was superb, the service was excellent and the staff so friendly. Every one of my party commented about what a wonderful evening they had there and didn't want the night to end. I can't wait to go back and spend another evening there. I also want to give a huge thank you to Miguel the owner for his hospitality. I highly recommend anyone to enjoy the offerings of the priory. Thank you again for making my 40th so memorable

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed April 12, 2012

Caerleon (roman Name = Isca ) This is an old Priory with character feauters in a historic Roman Fortress Town.

Restaurant - Basic concept of a Meat & Fish Grill; Usually a fantastic choice of fish and meat which can be cooked to your liking. I have read previous reviews on this Restaurant, they will peel the prawns if you ask, and again they can offer different sauces if you ask... but that is the key, you need to ask, so if you fancy your Sea Bass baked in rock salt rather than grilled, ask. I have eaten here in excess of 50 times in the past 3 years, and whilst it will never achieve Michellin Star accreditation you do actually get what what you ask for, prepared and cooked to a consistently good standard. This is not fine dinning and dont expect a table cloth. Wine is reasonably priced (especially spanish ) and they always have a good selection of clarets and white burgundy. The owner is Spanish so expect spanish themed bankground music. This restaurant was originally part of the Cardiff Le Monde, Brasserie, Champers Group and also had sister restaurants in Laleston Bridgend & Caesers in Criegiau (Near Llantrisant) - Before the owner Martinez sold out the others. He still has the Custom House Restaurant in Penarth Cardiff and the menu there, is near identical.

Bread isn't given away free becuase they own the local bakery in the village and therefore offer it as an extra. (rightly or wrongly)

Occassion - Relaxed informal dinning. No children high chairs but they will accomodate you if you bring your own.

Price - Fillet Steak = £20 - They charge extra for a buffett style salad, bread or sauses on the meat (not on the fish for some reason - dont know why)

Typically most Monmouthshire & Gwent Restaurant are very quiet even on the weekends. This is the only restaurant which is continously busy and has an atomosphere anywhere in the county.

A Large Bar area adjoins the restaurant which is very, very busy especially on a Friday & Saturday

Room Tip: The Rooms are not the strongest point of this establishment, some are much better than others, but if you are a business traveller they are preferable to staying in a Premier Inn / Etap type hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank PhilidelphiaStory
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Lovely stay, Great food, Clean rooms, Superb hotel and friendly atmosphere , Only stayed two nights, Near pubs and golf courses.Rooms include tea/coffee good size bathroom, tv and good size beds.Parking excellent.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank colin t
Reviewed April 4, 2012

A establishment that seems to have its seasoned followers and 'haters', with very little inbetween. Arriving on Wednesday lunch time at 1.40, without booking we were assured of a table,and sure enough a table was found ( for 7 i might add) Astonishingly over 160 diners had already eaten that service, most Restaurants would die for that type of custom on a Saturday night! I can see why it receives some bad press and perhaps i am biased because i know exactly what to expect, but i couldnt fault a thing! Beautifully fresh fish cooked to perfection. You are not coming to the Priory for a Fine Dining Experience, there is no linen, no table cloth and ok its not cheap, but these boys do a great job. Anyone in business should acknowledge success. Restaurant review only!

Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank felipej
Reviewed March 24, 2012

Went here with a group of friends - table booked for 2030, got to sit down by 2120. All of us driving so not drinking so bar staff seemed put out of place when we asked for soft drinks. We have never been here before so had to ask what to do - point at a sort of deli counter and said pick something. So we all trooped over, taken aback by prices. The choice was great and lots of fish. The service from the guy here was great.

Back at the table the starters arrived, massive pile of shrimps, which I had to de-shell myself by the time I had done this the generous meal seemed tiny! No bread offered, but enjoyed the starter. Then the mains arrived luke warm and by the time the accompaniments arrived everything was cold - but did want to make a fuss so eat the food which was nice.

had dessert - apple tart which arrived with huge spoon so I asked for fork - another huff and I had a knife. So I asked again for a fork from another waiter, which earned us a huff!

We had coffee, one tiny jug of milk and I drink tea so like lots lots of milk. So asked for more that's right another huff!

To be honest food was nice and I don't mind paying more for this. But I was made to feel by the staff that I was luck to be there, lucky to have a table and most of lucky that they could be bothered to service us.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends